أرشيف وسم ‘ website ’

Posted on Friday, May 17, 2013

Ferrari joins Lotus in tyre tweak criticism

Ferrari has joined Lotus in criticising Pirelli's mid-season tyre tweak. Following early-season criticism, culminating in the furore after Barcelona recently, Pirelli announced it is making key changes to its controversial 2013 tyres for next month's Canadian grand prix and beyond. Lotus team boss Eric Boullier was the first to react, likening the change to widening football goals because one team was always striking the post. Now, in the anonymous 'Horse Whisperer' column posted on the official Ferrari website, Ferrari has lashed out at those who claim […]

Posted on Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Tost wary over 2014 financial challenges

Toro Rosso team principal Franz Tost says that all Formula 1 teams will face a challenge due to the cost of the 2014 Power Units. Next season will see the introduction of V6 Power Units, which Tost says will be '100 per cent' more expensive. "I think all teams are faced with a huge challenge - both technically and economically. The 2014 car will mean a totally new Formula One. All technical philosophies of the here and now will be abandoned for something completely new," […]

Posted on Monday, May 13, 2013

McLaren could return to orange F1 livery

McLaren's cars could go orange in the near future, team boss Martin Whitmarsh has admitted. Although the Woking based team's cars have been silver since 1997, orange is actually McLaren's traditional race colour, dating back to the Can-Am days of the 60s. After 2014, however, it looks likely McLaren's long relationship with 'Silver Arrows' carmaker Mercedes will end. Whitmarsh said in Barcelona on Sunday that he could not comment on reports McLaren will definitely be Honda-powered in 2015, saying the matter was "confidential" between the […]

Posted on Monday, May 6, 2013

Qualifying 'much less important' now says Webber

Qualifying is no longer as important as in the past, according to Mark Webber. "Previously," the Australian is quoted by the German-language T-Online website, "qualifying was almost everything -- 75 to 80 per cent. "It's now much less than that," the Red Bull driver added. Webber, 36, has been one of the leading critics of the 'new' Formula One, in which Pirelli's heavily degrading control tyres are dominating. Now, starting position is arguably completely outweighed by race strategy and tyre management. "There's still a little […]

Posted on Wednesday, May 1, 2013

McLaren not yet thinking about 2014 says Whitmarsh

McLaren is refusing to write off the 2013 season, despite lagging a huge 86 points behind the lead of the constructors' championship after just four races. Having gambled on a radical new car for the new campaign, McLaren is now trailing its top-four rivals and even Force India, while leading driver Jenson Button is a mere tenth in the drivers' points. But even though the sweeping rules changes for 2014 are looming large, including the switch from V8 to V6 power, boss Martin Whitmarsh said […]

Posted on Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Domenicali ponders Alonso, Massa - and Vettel

Fernando Alonso on Wednesday said he intends to retire as a Ferrari driver. The double world champion, and former Minardi, Renault and McLaren driver, is now comfortably Ferrari's 'number 1' and regarded as perhaps the very best driver on the grid. And already with a long contract, the Spaniard said during a Twitter interview on the Maranello team's website that Ferrari will be his final team. "Yes, that's what I'm going to do," Alonso answered when asked if he will end his career in red. […]

Posted on Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Petrov not giving up after Kosachenko split

Former F1 driver Vitaly Petrov has revealed he will now handle his own affairs after splitting with his manager. It emerged recently that driver manager Oksana Kosachenko has joined Petrov's former team Caterham as commercial director, in charge of acquiring new sponsors. Petrov, who raced at Renault and Caterham between 2010 and last year, had targeted a return to F1 in 2014. He told Russian website f1news.ru that his ambitions remain on track. "I will control my own future, sorting out who will work with […]

Posted on Thursday, March 21, 2013

Hulkenberg heading into the unknown in Malaysia

Nico Hulkenberg admits he is heading into this weekend's Malaysian Grand Prix blind after failing to make the start in Australia. Hulkenberg qualified in eleventh place in Melbourne but an issue with the fuel tank forced him out prior to the start of the race. "Melbourne qualifying was pretty unique: Q1 on Saturday and then the rest of it on Sunday morning. The conditions were pretty difficult, with all the rain and then it drying up again," he told the Official F1 website. "Sure we […]

Posted on Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Ecclestone expects Red Bull and Ferrari fight in 2013

Formula One group CEO Bernie Ecclestone says he expects Red Bull and Ferrari to compete for overall honours in 2013. Speaking ahead of the season opening Australian Grand Prix, Ecclestone also reckons Mercedes is the dark horse for this year. "I very recently spoke to (Ferrari team principal) Stefano (Domenicali) who was in London to see me and he said that he still expects Red Bull to be the danger for them," he told the Official F1 website. "And I agree: they are - and […]

Posted on Wednesday, March 6, 2013

'Crazy race' needed for Caterham points - Van der Garde

Giedo van der Garde has conceded that Caterham needs a 'crazy race' to score its maiden point in 2013. 2013 will be Caterham's fourth season in the sport and the team has yet to finish in the top ten of a race. "This season, the most satisfaction would come from scoring Caterham’s first point in Formula One, but we know that’s a big ask and needs a crazy race to help us," Van der Garde told The Official F1 website. "So for me, it’s about […]

Posted on Friday, February 22, 2013

Sutil hopes Mercedes helps for Force India seat

Fernando Alonso was Thursday's fastest in Barcelona, but he was giving little away to the media. Livio Oricchio, the correspondent for Brazilian newspaper O Estado de S.Paulo, said the fact Ferrari is shielding the drivers from the press this winter is "angering" those in the media centre. At any rate, the so-billed 'shootout' between Adrian Sutil and Jules Bianchi for the last seat on the 2013 grid is attracting more attention anyway. Frenchman Bianchi is scheduled to drive the new Force India on Friday, but […]

Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2013

Sutil waiting on Force India decision

Adrian Sutil says he has done all he can to prove that he deserves to return to the sport with Force India. Sutil raced for the team between 2007 and 2011 but was dropped in favour of Nico Hulkenberg for 2012. With Hulkenberg moving on to Sauber, the team now has a vacancy alongside Paul di Resta. "Oh boy, it feels great to be back. It is so much fun and I never would have imagined that I’d miss all that so much," Sutil told […]