أرشيف وسم ‘ report ’

Posted on Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Red Bull must clear hurdles for Austria GP return

Red Bull needs to clear some hurdles before the Austrian grand prix can go ahead in 2014. The energy drink company and Bernie Ecclestone announced on Tuesday that an agreement to stage a race mid next year at the former A1-Ring, now called the Red Bull Ring, has been reached. APA news agency said the "provisional" deal is for at least seven consecutive Austrian grands prix. But Red Bull's statement on Tuesday admitted the deal is "on condition of approval by the required authorities". One […]

Posted on Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Austria returns to F1 calendar in 2014

The Austrian Grand Prix will return to Formula 1 in 2014 after an 11 year absence, it has been announced. The event will be held at the Red Bull Ring, with a provisional date of July 6th. "Dietrich Mateschitz [owner of Red Bull] and Bernie Ecclestone have reached agreement to the effect that Formula 1 will come back to Styria next year," read a report in the Austrian press. Red Bull bought the circuit and renovated it after it fell into disrepair following the final […]

Posted on Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Ex-F1 boss Kolles tried to blackmail Wolff

Former HRT boss Colin Kolles tried to blackmail Mercedes chief Toto Wolff earlier this year, it has emerged. We reported earlier that a conversation between Austrian Wolff and a then-unnamed former F1 team boss was "secretly recorded" and then threatened to be used against him. Bild newspaper had said Wolff spoke negatively about his own boss, Ross Brawn, colleague Niki Lauda, and also Daimler chairman Dieter Zetsche, whilst divulging details of his clashing co-ownership of the Williams team. A subsequent report by the magazine Sport […]

Posted on Monday, July 15, 2013

Unpaid Ferrari could switch off Sauber engines

Embattled Sauber could have its engine power switched off permanently on the day after the forthcoming Hungarian grand prix. Germany's Die Welt newspaper reports that the Swiss team is now EUR 15 million behind in its due payments to customer engine supplier Ferrari. The report said Ferrari has issued Sauber an ultimatum: pay at least EUR 8 million of the overdue bill by 29 July - the first day of the 'summer break' - or have the supply of 2.4 litre V8 engines switched off. […]

Posted on Friday, July 12, 2013

Unpaid suppliers file claims against ailing Sauber

The depths of Sauber's financial problems are now beginning to emerge. The Swiss business newspaper Handeslzeitung reports that dozens of unpaid suppliers to the struggling Hinwil based team have filed claims, totalling almost EUR 1 million. The report said the suppliers have waited several months for their invoices to be paid, before lodging the claims against Sauber with the official Swiss debt register Betreibungsregister. "We are very much in contact with our suppliers," founder Peter Sauber is quoted as saying, "and make every effort to […]

Posted on Thursday, July 11, 2013

Interlagos moves to secure F1 future through 2020

Interlagos has moved a step closer to securing its future on the F1 calendar. Earlier this year, the future of the Brazilian grand prix came into doubt when F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone said the venue in Sao Paulo must be upgraded. But those fears eased when Ecclestone confirmed city mayor Fernando Haddad had written him a letter "and he's guaranteed to revamp the whole facilities there". It was said a new contract through 2020 would then be signed. Now, O Estado de S.Paulo newspaper is […]

Posted on Sunday, July 7, 2013

Russian banker Rotenberg to rescue Sauber

Sauber could have an all-new driver lineup next year, as rumours of a radical shakeup for the struggling Swiss team gain speed. Nico Hulkenberg, reportedly not paid by the Hinwil based team since May, has already confirmed at the Nurburgring that boss Monisha Kaltenborn is working to pull Sauber out of a financial crisis. Nicolas Todt - a GP2 team chief, prominent F1 driver manager and son of FIA president Jean Todt - has been linked with a buyout, as has Chelsea football club's Russian […]

Posted on Thursday, June 27, 2013

2014 F1 cars to be much heavier

Formula One cars will be much heavier in 2014, according to a report in the German newspaper Bild. The report by correspondent Frank Schneider said the V6 engines and related energy-recovery systems and batteries will make the 2014 machines weigh 50 kilograms more. "It will certainly be a big change," world champion Sebastian Vettel is quoted as saying, "and very different to drive." However, the 50kg calculation may not be as simple as that. Although the current V8s weigh just 95kg, while next year's V6s […]

Posted on Saturday, June 8, 2013

Mercedes tribunal set for June 20th

Mercedes is set to face the FIA's brand-new international tribunal in Paris on June 20 Mercedes will face the tribunal following a private test with Pirelli in May at the Circuit de Catalunya in Barcelona. Several leading figures in the sport are expecting sanctions for Mercedes. Horner: Lack of transparency disappointing Brawn: Test was private, not secret Sauber team boss Monisha Kaltenborn told Auto Motor und Sport that "a contract can't overrule a law." Red Bull's Dr Helmut Marko told Blick "a fine and a […]

Posted on Thursday, June 6, 2013

In-season testing to return in 2014

In-season testing is returning in 2014, according to Italy's La Gazzetta dello Sport. However, Germany's Auto Motor und Sport reported recently that a proposal by Ferrari to trade wind tunnel hours, straightline running and promotional days for actual circuit testing was voted down. But Red Bull team boss Christian Horner is said to have told La Gazzetta dello Sport, the authoritative sports daily, that an agreement to bring back testing was actually agreed in Monaco. A report on the Italiaracing website said the agreement is […]

Posted on Monday, May 27, 2013

Money and driver trouble for Lotus

Lotus has recorded the biggest financial loss in motor racing history, according to F1 business journalist Christian Sylt. A report in the Telegraph said the Enstone based team's latest accounts show an almost $86 million loss for 2012, due to declining sponsorship. "No other F1 team filing publicly-available accounts has ever lost as much money," said Sylt. There could be more bad news around the corner for Lotus, amid continuing rumours top driver Kimi Raikkonen could jump ship to Red Bull at the end of […]

Posted on Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Hamilton catches Alonso as F1's highest earner

Lewis Hamilton has caught up with Fernando Alonso as F1's highest earner. According to Business Book GP 2013, Briton Hamilton now earns an estimated €20 million per season after switching from McLaren to Mercedes over the winter. The publication claims Spaniard Alonso earns the same at Ferrari. Curiously, F1's next highest earner is Jenson Button, with  €16 million, followed by reigning triple world champion and early 2013 title leader Sebastian Vettel (€12m). Also in double-digits are Nico Rosberg (€11m) and Mark Webber (€10m), while Brazilian Felipe […]