أرشيف وسم ‘ Le Mans ’

Posted on Friday, January 10, 2014

Caterham not ruling out Kobayashi for F1 return

Kamui Kobayashi appears imminently close to securing his return to Formula One. The Japanese lost his Sauber seat at the end of 2012, spending last season as a Ferrari test driver and driving a works Ferrari 458 in the Le Mans series. But Kobayashi, 27, has also collected millions from his fans to offer to a potential F1 race employer, and just before Christmas was spotted at Caterham's factory. When asked about the popular former Toyota and Sauber driver, a Caterham spokesman told Sky: "There […]

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013

Great Dane: Kevin Magnussen's rise to Formula 1

The news that Kevin Magnussen will replace Sergio Pérez at McLaren in 2014 had been expected, but it’s nonetheless a bold gamble from a team aiming to return to the front next season. McLaren’s attempts to place Magnussen at Marussia or perhaps Force India for his rookie campaign – as Ferrari has done with Jules Bianchi – were ultimately fruitless. Rather than let Magnussen sit on the pit wall for a year, McLaren took the decision to promote Magnussen at the expense of Pérez. Considering […]

Posted on Thursday, October 10, 2013

New chassis for Webber after Korea fire

Mark Webber will be using a new Red Bull chassis in Japan this weekend, after his crash and subsequent fire days ago in Korea. Ahead of his fifth-to-last grand prix before switching to Le Mans for 2014, Australian Webber said the fire in Korea did not faze him. "We're used to bushfires in Australia. No problem," he smiled to Germany's Auto Motor und Sport. Some had even suggested Webber seemed particularly uninterested in getting the marshals to quickly put the flames out. "I pressed for […]

Posted on Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Vettel 'will miss' Webber rivalry

Sebastian Vettel has admitted he will miss his teammate Mark Webber. The pair, teamed together at Red Bull since 2009, have had an often fraught relationship that arguably broke down completely after this year's 'multi-21' affair. "You can say what you want about our relationship," triple world champion Vettel told the Austrian magazine Sportwoche, "but in the end we pushed each other very hard. "I will miss that," said the German, referring to Australian Webber's impending departure for Le Mans-style prototype racing with Porsche. Webber […]

Posted on Saturday, September 7, 2013

Vettel snubbed Webber's Monza farewell party

Sebastian Vettel on Friday did not attend a farewell party to mark teammate Mark Webber's last grand prix in Europe. Germany's Bild newspaper said the reigning world champion sat downstairs 'playing with his iphone' while, just 16 steps above in the Red Bull motor home at Monza, much of the F1 fraternity paid tribute to Webber as the Australian's 12-year career draws to a close. Helping Webber celebrate were figures like Ross Brawn, Jenson Button, Lewis Hamilton and even Sir Frank Williams, who was carried […]

Posted on Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Raikkonen not ruling out Ferrari return

Kimi Raikkonen's manager is not ruling out a return to Ferrari for the 2007 world champion. On Monday, Steve Robertson admitted talks with Red Bull about Raikkonen replacing the Le Mans-bound Mark Webber had been "unsuccessful". But the 33-year-old Finn, who currently drives for Lotus, has also been linked with a return to Ferrari, despite the Italian team having replaced him with Fernando Alonso with a year to run on his contract at the end of 2009. Asked if Ferrari is an option, manager Robertson […]

Posted on Saturday, August 3, 2013

Red Bull confirms Hungaroring meeting was about Alonso

Red Bull has confirmed a meeting about Fernando Alonso took place with the Ferrari driver's manager at the Hungaroring last weekend. Initially, the sensational story of a potential move to Red Bull for the two-time world champion was dismissed by some, as Alonso's manager Luis Garcia Abad also handles the career of rising Red Bull-backed youngster Carlos Sainz jr. But when told his meeting with Garcia was obviously simply about the 18-year-old Sainz, Red Bull team boss Christian Horner told Sport Bild: "Nonsense. "Why would […]

Posted on Wednesday, July 24, 2013

2014 calendar shenanigans on the horizon

Where will Austria and Russia slot into the 2014 calendar and what about New Jersey? Could a congested calendar cause the sport a headache?

Posted on Thursday, June 27, 2013

Webber to leave F1 for Porsche in 2014

The Red Bull Racing driver has signed a multi-year contract with Porsche and will compete in Porsche's new LMP1 sports prototype at the Le Mans 24 Hours and in the sports car World Endurance Championship WEC in 2014. The 36-year-old Australian has raced at Le Mans twice before. In 1998 he finished runner-up in the FIA GT Championship at the wheel of a sports prototype. In a career in F1 that stretches back to 2002, Webber has won nine grand prix and has started from […]

Posted on Saturday, June 8, 2013

Rossi thrilled after Canada practice run

Alexander Rossi says it was great to return to a Formula 1 car after taking part in first practice for the Canadian Grand Prix. Rossi, who is competing for Caterham's eponymous team in GP2, finished in twentieth place in the 90 minute session. Rossi also took part in practice for last season's Spanish Grand Prix, as well as the young driver test in Abu Dhabi. "It was great to get back into F1 action and to do so in Canada, at a track I’ve raced […]

Posted on Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Hamilton refuses to criticise McLaren

Lewis Hamilton has refused to join the list of former drivers who criticise the great McLaren team. Some drivers, like Fernando Alonso and Juan Pablo Montoya, have left the Woking based team with little complimentary to say. The latest ex-McLaren driver is Lewis Hamilton, but he told Spain's Marca newspaper: "I don't know what other people say, but I can't say anything bad about McLaren. "First of all, they brought me to Formula One. Without them I would not be here. "I have a very […]

Posted on Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Ricciardo moves into pole for Webber's seat

Daniel Ricciardo has moved into pole position to succeed his Australian compatriot Mark Webber at Red Bull next year. Particularly in the wake of the 'Multi-21' affair and subsequent rumours that Webber could sign for Porsche's Le Mans effort, the signs that Sebastian Vettel will have a new teammate in 2014 have been growing. The early favourite was Kimi Raikkonen, but Red Bull's driver manager Dr Helmut Marko insists he is in "no hurry" to make a decision. "Many drivers want to drive for Red […]