أرشيف وسم ‘ Daimler ’

Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Title chase entering decisive phase at Spa says Lauda

With the long August break now over, Niki Lauda thinks the 2012 championship is entering a decisive phase this weekend at fabled Spa Francorchamps. Asked if he is looking forward to the highly popular Belgian grand prix, the triple world champion and F1 legend admitted: "Thank god we at least had the Olympics since the last race. "Otherwise it would have become really boring," the 63-year-old Austrian told Osterreich newspaper. "We can expect a spectacular weekend at Spa." Lauda said it is time Fernando Alonso's […]

Posted on Monday, July 16, 2012

Research shows world's biggest companies involved in F1

Almost half of the world's biggest 25 companies have been involved in Formula One in the past five years. And the new research by F1's industry monitor Formula Money said a third of the world's 100 top companies have in the same period been involved in F1 as sponsors, owners or investors. They include three of the world's five biggest companies -- Ferrari sponsor Shell, Exxon Mobil (McLaren) and former Chinese grand prix backer Sinopec. Journalist Christian Sylt said oil companies and carmakers are "naturally […]

Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Mercedes could quit F1 over bribery scandal

F1's bribery scandal could cost the sport the involvement of German carmaker Mercedes. Mercedes, with its own Brackley based works team and also a major engine supplier, is watching the Gerhard Gribkowsky affair with particular attention, according to the business newspaper Handelsblatt. The report said the affair, and particularly the implication of F1's chief executive Bernie Ecclestone, would have "serious consequences" with regards to Mercedes' involvement in the sport. Senior Daimler officials are reportedly very concerned that, in the event the corruption is proved, Mercedes' […]

Posted on Monday, April 23, 2012

Rosberg not penalized for aggressive driving

After reaping the rewards of winning his maiden Grand Prix last weekend in China, Nico Rosberg came under the spotlight of the race stewards this weekend in Bahrain after questionable defending against Lewis Hamilton and Fernando Alonso. At the time, the race stewards decided the review the various incidents after the race, a decision which could have affected the outcome of Rosberg’s race with either a time penalty or a grid penalty for the next race in Spain. However, the German has escaped such penalties, […]

Posted on Friday, April 20, 2012

Button: Mercedes' double-DRS 'not massive' gain

Jenson Button doubts other teams will be pushing too hard to rush a Mercedes-style 'double-DRS' to their 2012 package. The F-duct-style concept is, so far, the highest profile innovation of the season. So with the FIA declaring it fully legal, and Nico Rosberg breaking through with his maiden pole and win in Shanghai last weekend, it seems a no-brainer that the other teams will now be following suit. But McLaren's Button doesn't think so. "I really don't think it's giving them that much -- I […]

Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2012

Berger: Rosberg now among top F1 drivers

Nico Rosberg's F1 breakthrough proves he is ready to fight even for the world championship. That is the view of former grand prix winner, team boss and co-owner Gerhard Berger, following Rosberg's first pole and win in China last weekend. "It surprised not me, but all the others who had doubted him," the Austrian told Auto Bild Motorsport. "It was about time. I was worried," Berger smiled, "because I have always said I thought Nico was faster than Michael (Schumacher). "Now he is finally where […]

Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Ecclestone confirms Concorde row with Mercedes

Bernie Ecclestone has confirmed he is still at loggerheads with Mercedes over the new Concorde Agreement. The German carmaker's team is the big missing name, after F1 chief executive Ecclestone announced recently he has agreed terms with "the majority" of the teams including Ferrari, McLaren and Red Bull. "Mercedes is very important to Formula One. I have always supported them and I will always. "I'm talking about the car company," Ecclestone told Germany's Auto Motor und Sport. The distinction he is making is that the […]

Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Ferrari Concorde with $50m bonus

Ferrari's new deal for the 2013 Concorde Agreement reportedly involves a $50 million annual fee. It is believed the Italian team has now finalised its commercial agreement with Bernie Ecclestone. The same is reportedly true for fellow top teams McLaren and Red Bull, whose annual additional fee is, according to German newsmagazine Der Spiegel, $35m apiece. Ecclestone wanted to announce the conclusion of successful Concorde Agreement negotiations in Malaysia, but major teams including Mercedes and Williams were yet to sign up. Instead, the F1 chief […]

Posted on Saturday, March 24, 2012

Mercedes could quit F1 over commercial deals

Mercedes could quit Formula One or challenge Bernie Ecclestone in court, after it emerged top rivals Ferrari, McLaren and Red Bull have agreed new commercial deals. With the FOTA alliance crumbling, F1 chief executive Ecclestone announced on Saturday that he has agreed terms with the "majority" of teams. In addition to the three top teams, it is believed Lotus, Toro Rosso, Sauber and Force India have also signed up. That leaves Mercedes and Williams apparently yet to agree, while it is believed the three bottom […]

Posted on Thursday, February 9, 2012

Daimler chairman interested in extending Schumacher's contract

Daimler chairman Dieter Zetsche on Thursday indicated he would like Michael Schumacher to extend his Mercedes GP contract beyond 2012. Seven time world champion Schumacher's existing three year contract, dating back to his decision to return to Formula 1 in 2010 after a three-year sabbatical, runs out this year. Zetsche is quoted by Seddeutsche Zeitung newspaper as saying Mercedes is fully committed to Formula 1, with an "engagement for the long term". As for involving 43-year-old Schumacher in those plans for 2013, Zetsche admitted it […]

Posted on Friday, January 6, 2012

Mercedes no longer has McLaren team stake

Mercedes-Benz parent Daimler no longer owns a share of the McLaren team, according to media reports. McLaren, still powered by the marque's Brixworth-built engines, began its association with Mercedes in 1995, culminating in world championships and the German carmaker owning 40 per cent of the Woking based team. But when Mercedes took over Brawn in order to have its own works team ahead of the 2010 season, Daimler chairman Dieter Zetsche said the plan was for McLaren to buy back the stake. "The McLaren Group […]