أرشيف وسم ‘ crash ’

Posted on Friday, April 26, 2013

Ferrari 'calm' despite troubled start says Gene

Despite a mixed start to the 2013 campaign for Ferrari, test driver Marc Gene insists the mood at Maranello is "calm". Spaniard Alonso won in China earlier this month, but before that he retired after a crash in Malaysia, whilst last weekend in Bahrain his victory hopes collapsed due to an ultra-rare DRS rear wing failure. "It's the first problem of its kind on this system seen in the three years during which it has been used," the Italian team revealed in a media statement. […]

Posted on Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Lotus tougher challenger than Ferrari admits Marko

According to Dr Helmut Marko, Lotus is a bigger challenger to Red Bull's championship hopes in 2013 than Ferrari. Red Bull and Sebastian Vettel are leading Lotus and Kimi Raikkonen in both the constructors' and drivers' world championships after the first four 'flyaway' races. But it might be argued that the bulk of Ferrari's deficit is because of Fernando Alonso's crash in Malaysia and malfunctioning DRS rear wing flap in Bahrain. Asked, however, if Red Bull expected Lotus' Raikkonen to be challenging so hard in […]

Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Kubica testing in Mercedes' F1 simulator

Robert Kubica has been conducting secret Formula One tests at the wheel of Mercedes' sophisticated driver simulator, German newspaper Bild reports. The Pole tested the German marque's DTM car over the winter, but ultimately signed up with Citroen for the second-tier world rally championship in 2014 as he continues his return to full speed in the wake of his near-fatal crash two years ago. But 28-year-old Kubica, who raced for BMW and Renault in F1 until the end of 2010, has never hidden that - […]

Posted on Thursday, April 11, 2013

F1 return 'might not happen' admits Kubica

Robert Kubica has admitted he might never return to Formula One. After his new foray in the second-tier world rally championship was announced recently, the former BMW and Renault driver said he saw "tiny lights in the tunnel" that he might be able to resume his F1 career at some point in the future. But the 28-year-old Pole, badly injured in a pre-2011 season rallying crash, has now told the Sun: "Of course I would like to come back in F1, but I know that […]

Posted on Wednesday, March 6, 2013

De Villota to work for Spain's F1 TV coverage

Maria de Villota has been signed up as an expert pundit for Spanish television Antena 3's coverage of the 2013 Formula One season. The Spaniard lost an eye in a near-fatal testing crash whilst serving as a Marussia test driver last year, but has made a good recovery. "Last week they gave me permission to return to driving," said the 32-year-old. "The distances I can already calculate quite well and it feels like nothing ever happened." Following Antena 3's launch of its 2013 coverage, Spanish […]

Posted on Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Kubica to contest second-tier WRC in 2013

Robert Kubica will contest the second-tier WRC2 world rally championship at the wheel of a Citroen in 2013. The former Renault and BMW driver has been out of Formula One and full-time motor sport since a near-fatal rallying crash just before the 2011 season. The news follows the 28-year-old's recent test in a Mercedes DTM car, raising speculation he might contest the premier German touring car series this year. "I weighed up the different options before deciding on this programme," said Kubica after Citroen announced […]

Posted on Friday, February 8, 2013

Glock went because Marussia needs 'every million' admits Symonds

Marussia parted with Timo Glock because a backmarker team needs every million. That is the claim of Pat Symonds, the former Renault 'crash-gate' conspirator who - after serving his F1 ban - is now openly in charge of the 2013 Marussia MR02. Devoid of many sponsors, the new red and black car will be raced this year by wealthy Max Chilton and Luiz Razia, who replaced German Glock at the last minute. "For Red Bull, one million has little effect," Symonds is quoted by Auto […]

Posted on Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Hamilton crash curtails Mercedes running

Mercedes's testing has come to a premature end for the second successive day after a crash for Lewis Hamilton. Hamilton had completed fifteen laps in his W04 when he came off the track at the Dry Sac corner in Jerez, damaging the front of his car. "Lewis suffered a loss of rear brake pressure, the front brakes enabled him to slow the car but he couldn't avoid the barrier..." Mercedes posted on Twitter. After a couple of hours of investigating the problem, the team added […]

Posted on Friday, December 28, 2012

DRS clampdown is 'sensible' says Raikkonen

Banning the use of the moveable rear wing innovation DRS on Friday and Saturday is a good move, Kimi Raikkonen has declared. DRS was introduced in 2011 to make overtaking easier during grands prix. But because the FIA feared that setup compromises would minimise the effectiveness of the system, it was decided that DRS could also be used during free practice and qualifying. That will now change for 2013, when DRS is only used during races. "It's a sensible change," said Lotus driver Raikkonen. "It […]

Posted on Friday, December 28, 2012

Grosjean wanted first win 'at all costs'

Romain Grosjean thinks he is ready to take a more mature approach to Formula One. After the abortive start to his career at scandal-ridden Renault in 2009, the Frenchman got a second chance at the pinnacle of motor racing this year, with Lotus. By mid-season, he had proved his speed with three podiums, but the 26-year-old also became the subject of intense criticism for repeat mistakes, culminating in his ultra-rare race ban following the Spa-Francorchamps start crash. After a period of speculation about his seat, […]

Posted on Friday, December 28, 2012

Two more 2013 cars pass FIA crash tests

The monocoque of two more F1 teams' 2013 cars have passed the mandatory FIA crash tests. According to Germany's Auto Motor und Sport, one of them is Mercedes' W04, to be raced next year by Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg. The report said the silver single seater will have a new and smaller gearbox, totally different sidepods for the Coanda exhaust, and rear suspension designed to be flexible to geometry changes if required to suit Pirelli's new tyres. Meanwhile, Spain's El Mundo Deportivo said the […]

Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Kubica to contest European rally series in 2013

Robert Kubica looks set to return to full-time competitive action in 2013. Multiple media reports, including German's Sport Bild and also SID news agency, claim the former BMW and Renault driver will contest the European Rally Championship (ERC) at the wheel of a Ford Fiesta. SID said the Pole, who has still has limited use of his right arm in the wake of his February 2011 rally crash, has received clearance to enter the Fiesta with modified controls. "It would be incredible if Robert came […]