أرشيف وسم ‘ Bernie Ecclestone ’

Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2011

Vertical construction begins in Austin

Work at the 2012 US grand prix venue in Austin is back at full swing, according to the motoring weblog Jalopnik. "The crews are on site and construction of the Circuit of the Americas is underway. I saw it with my own eyes," wrote the reporter. The news follows the recent contractual disagreement between the circuit owners, original promoter Tavo Hellmund and Bernie Ecclestone that almost steered the entire project off track. "Last month the track was mostly just a collection of cleared dirt paths […]

Posted on Monday, December 12, 2011

Ecclestone: split with father 'a disaster' for Hamilton

Lewis Hamilton's decision to dump his father and sign up with a celebrity management company was "a disaster". That is the view of F1 chief executive Bernie Ecclestone, speaking after arguably the worst season in the 2008 world champion's entire motor racing career. He said the 26-year-old Briton's "personal problems" in 2011 - including his split with girlfriend Nicole - were exacerbated by the absence of his former manager and father. Anthony Hamilton, in charge of his son's career until early 2010, now manages the […]

Posted on Thursday, December 8, 2011

Work resumes at 2012 US GP site in Texas

Construction of the 2012 US GP venue in Texas capital Austin is resuming. Work at the Circuit of the Americas had been halted amid the dispute between event founder Tavo Hellmund, the track's new management and financiers, and F1 chief executive Bernie Ecclestone. That dispute was settled ahead of Wednesday's deadline of the World Motor Sport Council in India, where the race's inaugural November date was ratified by the FIA. "We have an agreement," confirmed circuit spokesman Jeff Hahn, according to local KVUE news. And […]

Posted on Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Webber unsure F1 to return to Bahrain in 2012

Time will tell whether formula one actually returns as scheduled to Bahrain early next season, according to Mark Webber. Amid the Kingdom's civil crisis this year, the Australian was the most outspoken driver as he called for the season opener to be postponed and then cancelled completely. F1 is scheduled to return next April, but some reports indicate that Bahrain's troubles are not yet over. "It's obviously a very serious matter that went on, and potentially could be going on," Red Bull driver Webber told […]

Posted on Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Austin GP deal looking good for 2012

As the event's final deadline winds down on Wednesday, there is a growing feeling that organisers of the US GP in Austin have managed to rescue their 2012 race. With the World Motor Sport Council in India set to take place imminently, F1 chief executive Bernie Ecclestone had warned Circuit of the Americas bosses to stop dithering and sign a binding deal for 2012 and beyond. A source close to the organisation has told the Austin Chronicle that the chances the race will go ahead […]

Posted on Friday, December 2, 2011

Barrichello also tips Raikkonen to struggle

Rubens Barrichello agrees with Sebastian Vettel that Kimi Raikkonen might struggle to re-adapt to formula one. World champion Vettel said this week he can imagine "it would be very difficult to return straight away to the same level as before" after a two-year absence from F1. Brazilian Barrichello, who was an outside contender for the Lotus Renault race seat now occupied by the 2007 world champion and Finn, agrees. "We only have the example of Schumacher," said the 39-year-old, referring to Michael Schumacher who struggled […]

Posted on Thursday, December 1, 2011

Ecclestone extends contract deadline for Austin GP

Bernie Ecclestone has extended the deadline for organisers of the 2012 US grand prix to rescue their Austin event. The news, reported by the American news agency AP, came as the F1 chief executive's original Wednesday deadline came and went. "We are still trying to make it (the race) happen," the 81-year-old is quoted as saying. "They need to get some money and a pen ... as soon as possible." The new deadline is next Wednesday's meeting of the World Motor Sport Council. "If it […]

Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Ecclestone: Barcelona race in doubt for future

Bernie Ecclestone has admitted Barcelona might be the first casualty as F1's annual calendar sheds some European races. The F1 chief executive told Spanish sports newspaper Marca that the continent's dwindling presence on the schedule could drop to as few as just five rounds per season within the next few years. Currently, there are two races - Valencia and Barcelona - in Spain. Asked if that is sustainable, Ecclestone answered: "I don't know, we will have to wait and see. "I think not, but we'll […]

Posted on Friday, November 25, 2011

Ecclestone: 2012 Bahrain return safe for now

A damning report into the unrest in Bahrain earlier this year does not endanger the Kingdom's return to formula one in 2012. That is the claim of F1 chief executive Bernie Ecclestone, as further turmoil kicked off in Bahrain surrounding the release of the report confirming the government was heavy-handed with its citizens this year. The 2011 unrest caused the cancellation of the 2011 season opener but Bahrain is scheduled to return to the calendar next April. That race will go ahead "unless something terrible […]

Posted on Friday, November 25, 2011

Ecclestone not accepting counter-offer for 2012 US GP

Bernie Ecclestone insists a US grand prix in Texas next year remains unlikely, despite race organisers announcing they are now "ready" to pay the sport its overdue sanctioning fee. With the Circuit of the Americas project reportedly dying, the organisers issued a statement on Thursday announcing they are willing to make "an immediate cash payment". "He (Ecclestone) hasn't received it yet because the new contract presented to us two weeks ago contained unrealistic and unfeasible demands," said founding partner Bobby Epstein. "We have signed and […]

Posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2011

More police as Button returns to Brazil after attack

Jenson Button is relieved that, a year after being threatened by Brazilian bandits with machine guns, he is glad he will have a police escort in Sao Paulo this weekend. As reigning world champion last year, the McLaren driver and his entourage narrowly escaped an armed attack on return to his hotel from the Interlagos circuit. He insisted on Tuesday: "I've no fears going back to Brazil. "It had occurred so many times before with mechanics and engineers that in the end it was going […]

Posted on Monday, November 21, 2011

Ecclestone eyes Asia floatation for F1 rights

Bernie Ecclestone has revealed that public floatation might be more likely than a sale in the event current owners CVC want to offload formula one's commercial rights. A consortium headed by News Corp has expressed interest in bidding for the lucrative rights, as have the F1 teams in becoming shareholders. But chief executive Ecclestone told the Telegraph: "If I wanted to dispose of the company today I would float it in Singapore or Hong Kong." He added that "it would be better to float the […]