Force India confirms Sergio Perez on multi-year deal

By on Thursday, December 12, 2013
Sahara Force India

Sahara Force India

Force India has confirmed that Sergio Perez will race for them in 2014 after signing a 'multi-year deal' with the team.

Perez, 23, who will race alongside Nico Hulkenberg, was unveiled at the Mexican consul in London on Thursday.

Perez made his Formula 1 debut in 2011 and raced for Sauber until his switch to McLaren for 2013.

Feature: Force India gives Perez a second chance

His stint at McLaren lasted just a single year, having finished 11th in the championship, with 49 points.

"It’s great to announce my new team as Sahara Force India," said Perez.

"Coming here was always my first choice and I’m really happy everything has now been confirmed. I want to say thank you to Vijay and the whole team for giving me the opportunity."

"This is a young team with a lot of determination and they’ve produced competitive cars for the last few years. It’s all change for next season with the new regulations, but I already have a good feeling about 2014. My plan now is to visit the factory and get to know everyone in the team."

Team principal Vijay Mallya believes that new recruit Perez has 'incredible talent'.

"It’s a pleasure to welcome Sergio to the team," he said.

"He brings a healthy mix of youth and experience, and I’ve been very impressed with his recent performances."

"He already has several podium finishes to his name and being chosen by McLaren last year was a clear indication that he is a driver to watch for the future. We also recognise Sergio’s incredible talent and we are proud to have him in our team."

"He clearly has great speed and plenty of fire in his belly. Our job is to make sure he settles in quickly by creating the right atmosphere so that he can realise his potential."

"By pairing Sergio alongside Nico, we enter the new season with an extremely competitive line-up, which will go toward helping us achieve our goals for the new season."

The announcement means that neither of Force India's 2013 race drivers, Paul di Resta and Adrian Sutil, will remain with the team next year.


If you liked this post then share it with your friends on social media websites. You can also follow us on Facebook and Twitter to stay up to date with the latest F1 news.