Gran Premio Santander d'Italia 2010

Season 2010 - Reports, photos, quotes, stats, interviews, gossips, and hot discussion.

Who will win the 2010 Italian Grand Prix

Poll ended at 12 Sep 2010, 10:51

Lewis Hamilton
42%
Mark Webber
9%
Sebastian Vettel
4%
Jenson Button
11%
Fernando Alonso
22%
Felipe Massa
2%
Robert Kubica
7%
Nico Rosberg
No votes
Adrian Sutil
2%
Michael Schumacher
No votes
Rubens Barrichello
No votes
Other
No votes

Total votes: 45

sejtur
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Re: Gran Premio Santander d'Italia 2010

Post by sejtur » 12 Sep 2010, 21:14

Woohoo great race, I really enjoyed the race until the stops but after that the tension was gone; Alonso was way too fast for Jenson to make it any more exciting. I'm glad this is a victory without surrounding controversy like Germany. Also a confimation that, while ferrari's f-duct isn't as optimised as McLarens,they went really wel on the fastest track of the season. The Red bulls will be back. They already predicted that they wouldn't have results as usual this GP. Vettels brake malfunction (or too much function haha) was odd. And webbers car stopped in FP. This weekend especially shows that the Red Buls aren't reliable, at least not as reliable as their direct competitors. I this the next one will go to Ferrari as well, as Alonso was great at monaco, from last to 6th (with great strategy i have to admit) was superb. BTW I can't wait to go on track with a ferrari F2010 at singapore, in the new game that will be released that weekend. I can't wait!

alex1369
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by alex1369 » 13 Sep 2010, 01:44

just came back from Monza - it was fantastic 20/10 but - im not happy (HAM DNF :( ) what can u do...

i did meet and saw all the drivers very very close, Domenicali, Newey... it was great, the cars were very very close to see, got autoghraph from Alguersuari.... it was fantatic, must also say that Jensons dad is a great man - meet him too and Jensons girlfriend Jessica - great pepole :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

i will post some pics later, now im tired and must sleep

François
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by François » 13 Sep 2010, 06:06

That must've been fantastic, alex! Wish I could go to a GP someday.

Well, Monza wasn't the best race of the season in terms of on-track action, but the result certainly is interesting from a championship perspective. The slump from Hamilton and Webber means we are effectively back to five contenders, with a lot to play for. Also, I agree with whoever said that "soft" tyres lasting for >50 laps are a friggin' joke, and hopefully the switch to Pirelli next year will make things more interesting in that respect.

brendakarli
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by brendakarli » 13 Sep 2010, 06:31

Hi folks,

I was so frustrated with my daughter coming to me and making me lose my concentration for half the race - she was distracting me with her school stuff! I could not fully focus on supporting Fonzi! I will make sure that I will lock my door for the remaining races and make sure to settle any outstanding issues before the remaining races from now on to avoid another similar situation from occurring! btw, my daughter is a fierce supporter of Fonzi so she "knew" what she was doing to me when the race was on!!!

The JINX
The JINX

eleanor
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by eleanor » 13 Sep 2010, 12:23

looks like you had a great week-end. congrats...
why don't you start a topic here?
http://www.f1zone.net/viewforum.php?f=100

(which remind me I didn't post any pics from my trip to hungaroring)
'Life is about passions. Thank you for sharing mine.'

alex1369
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by alex1369 » 13 Sep 2010, 13:04

yeah ill do it, but not now cuz i have taken lots of other pics, wich were taken with other camera, so i will wait till my new friends send me the pics and then i will post it all

eleanor
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by eleanor » 13 Sep 2010, 13:19

ok... can't wait to see it

It has been confirmed by Sauber that the reason for Kamui Kobayashi's Italian Grand Prix retirement was a faulty electronic control unit (ECU), with the Japanese driver having had to abandon his car in the pit lane shortly after the start. (http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/2425 ... er-review/)

lucian
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by lucian » 13 Sep 2010, 19:46

It looks like the more I'm watching F1, the less things I'm noticing. I've already said that Button disappointed me for not defending harder from Alonso, but I obviously missed that Button's car was damaged. I didn't know someone hit him. So if he could almost avoid losing the 1st place with a damaged car, then he was clearly the best driver, and shame on me for not seeing that. I was also doing something else during the race, besides watching, so that's my only excuse.

Mitsuro Sano
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Mitsuro Sano » 13 Sep 2010, 21:08

One thing interesting: HRT ran the same wings in Monza as in Monaco! And they still struggling more in the ascari corner than the other cars! That show how bad the F110 chassis is!

lealjaime
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by lealjaime » 14 Sep 2010, 06:19

someone has times of the pits stops of massa and alonso also button ????
Ferrari Rules!!!!!!

Eric_Cartman
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Eric_Cartman » 14 Sep 2010, 12:50

lealjaime wrote:someone has times of the pits stops of massa and alonso also button ????
Button: 4.2 seconds
Massa: 3.5 seconds
Alonso: 3.4 seconds
FC BAYERN 7 - BARCELONA 0

eleanor
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by eleanor » 14 Sep 2010, 18:22

The secrets of that pit stop

Maranello, 13 September – More than ever before, on this occasion, Formula 1 really proved to be a team sport. Fernando Alonso’s win was not just down to his abilities as a driver and the fact his car was competitive. It was also, or more accurately, especially, down to the work of the team during his pit stop.
Fernando himself acknowledged the fact immediately after the race, when he commented that he was surprised at how quickly the guys changed the wheels. 3.4 seconds was the time it took for the sixteen personnel involved in the operation – two on the jacks, front and rear, one on the lights, one watching the traffic in pit lane, three men per wheel – to send Fernando back on track. That’s a great time, under the average so far for the Ferrari crew (3”7) but not as good as their best in a race, which happened at the Canadian Grand Prix, when the pit stop was completed in 3”3, which at the time, allowed Fernando to get ahead of Hamilton, who had stopped on the same lap.
“We have worked very hard this year to improve the wheel changing procedure as much as possible,” explains Diego Ioverno, the head of Race Operations, car assembly and gearbox. “Up until the end of last season, it was the length of the refuelling time that determined the duration of a stop and the mechanics working on changing wheels had a reasonably comfortable safety margin, although even here we are only talking seconds. Today, the slightest error is heavily penalised: you could say it is much easier to lose a race in the pit stop than it is to win one.”
All well and good, but what the fans will remember is the images of what the mechanics in the red suits did yesterday afternoon in the Monza pit lane. Let’s take a closer look at the detail of the procedure, tenth by tenth, starting from the moment Fernando stopped his F10 in the pit lane, millimetre perfect on the specified mark:

+0”35: car lifted up by the two jack men
+0.70: wheels with the soft tyres come off
+1.40: wheels with the hard tyres in position
+2”30: first wheel locked on and arm up to confirm
+2”60: second wheel locked on
+2”70: third wheel locked on
+2”90: fourth wheel locked on
+3”40: car on the ground and green light

What makes this sort of performance possible? “There are two secrets, if we can call them that: training and constant practice,” adds Ioverno. “From the start of this year, we have done over 1300 pit stop practices, at the track and at the factory. In the weeks when there are no Grands Prix, we train three times, carrying out around thirty simulations per day. At the track, we work from Thursday to Saturday, tackling the weekend as though we were a football team: the day before, some fine tuning and on Sunday, relax before the match. It is important that the guys receive the instructions in a calm manner, without getting agitated: they are perfectly aware of what a big responsibility lies in their hands, especially in races like yesterday’s. There is no point in rushing them as this only leads to mistakes.”
Spoiler:
Apart from the sixteen personnel involved in a standard pit stop, there are eight other people ready for action when the car comes into the pits: one man on a side jack, in case the nose needs to be changed, two ready to change the angle of the flap on the front wing, one on the starter, in case the engine stalls and four on another set of wheels, in case of a “double” stop, when the two drivers pit one after the other. The crew is chosen from a pool of around thirty, who all have other duties both at the factory and when they are at the track: it’s a real football squad. In order to gain tenths of a second, much thought goes into the equipment used in this delicate operation. Particular attention is paid to the jacks – halfway through the season, a front one was introduced that could be released at the side of the car, so the jack man can move out of the way before dropping the car to the ground for a faster release. Also important are the wheel nuts and their design and thread is optimised for speed. During the car’s design phase, Ioverno and his team work in conjunction with the engineers to look at the details that could make the job of carrying out a pit stop easier, thus gaining valuable tenths in the context of the race as a whole. One of the most significant new ideas introduced by Ferrari in recent years has been the traffic light system: today the average three tenths advantage this device affords is a serious asset compared to many of the team’s main rivals.

However, the human aspect remains at the core of the operation. “A pit stop is like a ballet, played to a soundtrack of an engine, in which a group of people has to operate in perfect harmony with themselves and with the star dancer, namely the driver in the cockpit,” continues Ioverno. “The success of the operation also depends a lot on him: it is crucial that he always stops at the exact same preordained spot, otherwise you lose valuable tenths, because twenty centimetres more or less means the whole crew has to move. Each role requires its own physical and mental characteristics. For example, the guys on the jacks must be pretty strong, given that every time, they have to lift a car that weighs around seven hundred kilos. Agility, staying cool and quick reflexes are the key requirements for those doing the wheel changing, especially the wheel gun men, as their job requires technical skills that are far from simple. In training, we have actually managed to get near the three second mark, but what counts is the race and that is why yesterday’s performance was amazing: when I gave the lads the call to come out of the garage, they were well aware that the win could hang on their actions. They did it and you could see the pride and satisfaction on their faces, even if there was still a long way to go to the chequered flag. When Fernando crossed the line, then they could express their delight and that of the whole team.” http://www.ferrari.com/English/Formula1 ... -stop.aspx

lealjaime
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by lealjaime » 15 Sep 2010, 07:24

Eric_Cartman wrote:
lealjaime wrote:someone has times of the pits stops of massa and alonso also button ????
Button: 4.2 seconds
Massa: 3.5 seconds
Alonso: 3.4 seconds
thanks man
Ferrari Rules!!!!!!

JoostLamers
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Post by JoostLamers » 15 Sep 2010, 19:38

This can't be a coincidence anymore, me at a GP is back luck for my driver :( It just can't be a coincidence anymore
<<<The flag Lew1s waved at