The direction of F1

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
kals
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Re: The direction of F1

Post by kals » 26 Jun 2014, 21:08

donald29 wrote:Imagine a driver having a comfortable lead in the final race of the season only for a safety car to come out. He gets spun at the standing restart and loses the title on double points. How bad would that be? :|
I think the statement you've written is utterly ridiculous. It's not you, it's that what you've written is actually an absurd possibility.

tderias
PL Manager
PL Manager

Post by tderias » 26 Jun 2014, 21:49

kals wrote:
donald29 wrote:Imagine a driver having a comfortable lead in the final race of the season only for a safety car to come out. He gets spun at the standing restart and loses the title on double points. How bad would that be? :|
I think the statement you've written is utterly ridiculous. It's not you, it's that what you've written is actually an absurd possibility.
How is that absurd? I mean the chances of it happening on the single double race in the entire season are somewhat remote, but what donald is getting at is that all these c**p rule changes have the potential to completely ruin someone's championship, in a way that everyone would deem as unfair and unjust.

This is just absolutely ridiculous. I've read a couple of hours ago that the drivers don't like the idea, and it sort of put my mind at ease. Now, the FIA confirms it; what madness is this?!

kals
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by kals » 27 Jun 2014, 10:52

tderias wrote:what donald is getting at is that all these c**p rule changes have the potential to completely ruin someone's championship
And that is exactly what I said.

sermilan
kart driver
kart driver

Post by sermilan » 28 Jun 2014, 09:56

kals wrote:
And possibility to get mugged in T1? I think FIA is counting on these and similar possibilities and that's exactly why they've decided to do so. To make it "more interesting" for the viewers. But that's just further distancing of what real, good racing should be about, in my opinion.

tderias
PL Manager
PL Manager

Post by tderias » 07 Aug 2014, 13:11

Today's F1 drivers are 'wimps' according to a Schumey's former manager:
http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/3146 ... ers-wimps/

Gravel trap around Parabolica in Monza has been replaced with a run-off area:
http://www.crash.net/f1/news/207418/1/p ... mpaign=rss

Now all that's left is to set up a marshmallow padded armco around there...

Vorull
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Vorull » 07 Aug 2014, 13:26

tderias wrote: Gravel trap around Parabolica in Monza has been replaced with a run-off area:
http://www.crash.net/f1/news/207418/1/p ... mpaign=rss

F1EA
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by F1EA » 29 Aug 2014, 01:14

Agree. Double points is absurd and I don't like standing restarts either. Just leave the damn thing as it is.

I also don't mind electric "power units"; the noise is a loss but what can you do....

m3ta1he4d
car driver
car driver

Post by m3ta1he4d » 23 Sep 2014, 11:10

Wow I just saw on the net that FIA is considering three cars in each team.. Whoa..

tderias
PL Manager
PL Manager

Post by tderias » 24 Sep 2014, 17:43

m3ta1he4d wrote:Wow I just saw on the net that FIA is considering three cars in each team.. Whoa..
Yea. Bernie actually said that its mentioned in the regulations that if the paddock drops to 8 teams only, we'll have 3 cars per team. I've also read somewhere that Ferrari were in support of this idea. Sad really...

In relation to the radio clampdown, Toto Wolff thinks it doesn't work and I have to agree with him:
http://www.f1zone.net/news/fia-should-r ... lff/43789/

marcoh
car driver
car driver

Post by marcoh » 27 Oct 2014, 14:04

To me it all quite simple to make F1 as interesting as it once was:

1- reduce downforce to just enough to keep the car on the road, and this would allow the car to overtake
2 - Increase mechanical grip, ie wider tyres
3 - KERS, i can take it or leave it, technologically interesting but adds little to the the racing
4 - DRS, not require if item 1 is achieved, otherwise let them use it when ever they want to
5 - Engines - no turbos, they kill the sound, limit RPM to say 15000 rpm, and adjust displacement as required to achieve hp
6 - Get rid of stupid rules like the signage are required on top of the engine cowl
7 - Get rid of boring race tracks
8 - Make tv coverage more interesting, better shots, better telemetry data shown on tv (they had it 10 years ago when they tried to introduce F1 pay per view)
9 - Minimum number of cars should be 26, ie a full grid, allow 3 cars if this is not achieved.
10 - Sack the FIA rule makers
11 - keep the rules stable
12 - Make a tissue box mandatory in cars of 4x ex world champs

Vorull
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Vorull » 27 Oct 2014, 20:59

marcoh wrote:To me it all quite simple to make F1 as interesting as it once was:

1- reduce downforce to just enough to keep the car on the road, and this would allow the car to overtake
2 - Increase mechanical grip, ie wider tyres
3 - KERS, i can take it or leave it, technologically interesting but adds little to the the racing
4 - DRS, not require if item 1 is achieved, otherwise let them use it when ever they want to
5 - Engines - no turbos, they kill the sound, limit RPM to say 15000 rpm, and adjust displacement as required to achieve hp
6 - Get rid of stupid rules like the signage are required on top of the engine cowl
7 - Get rid of boring race tracks
8 - Make tv coverage more interesting, better shots, better telemetry data shown on tv (they had it 10 years ago when they tried to introduce F1 pay per view)
9 - Minimum number of cars should be 26, ie a full grid, allow 3 cars if this is not achieved.
10 - Sack the FIA rule makers
11 - keep the rules stable
12 - Make a tissue box mandatory in cars of 4x ex world champs
Agree with 1, 2, 3, 4, 7, 8, 11 (12 lol). Pretty good, we need better tracks but more importantly we need to make sure the old classics stay on the calendar.

sermilan
kart driver
kart driver

Post by sermilan » 29 Oct 2014, 20:24

marcoh wrote:10 - Sack the FIA rule makers
This would solve everything. Had way to many facepalms from their (in)activity

sermilan
kart driver
kart driver

Post by sermilan » 01 Nov 2014, 11:51

Just seen a kind of interview of Austin race organizer and Mr. Bernie. Organizer was complaining that current F1 doesn't fulfill fans' expectations due to the lack of engine volume primarily... so Mr. F1 concluded that something must be done and he'll start getting rid of current (much more silent) engines this winter, saying also that they "aren't Formula 1 engines".......... now WTF is going on?? Who was the one to push to get them in F1 in the first place??
Think I'm gonna completely lose interest in F1.
I see drastic reduction of posts here on this forum in GP topics in the last couple of years, from 30-40 to just 5-6 pages per race. That clearly shows that I'm not the only one who's had it with F1 government BS.

donald29
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by donald29 » 01 Nov 2014, 14:55

Who is suggesting that F1 could go back to last year's engines? There are so many reasons why that can't happen.

KevC

Post by KevC » 01 Nov 2014, 16:45

It's a bit of an extrapolation of the last 30s of this