Rush

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Re: Rush

Post by mikhailv » 05 Sep 2013, 09:46

Ahhh. Problem with Heath is, he's kind of dead. So that wouldnt be the best choice lol!

Treacle
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Treacle » 05 Sep 2013, 09:49

mikhailv wrote:Ahhh. Problem with Heath is, he's kind of dead. So that wouldnt be the best choice lol!
Of course. But you know, if he was still alive... :O
"Right now I'm having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before."

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 05 Sep 2013, 15:20

I dont think he would look as good though. He has a very unique face. And I would still be waiting for him to flick knife Bruhl in the stomach and Christian Bale gliding down with throat cancer screaming.

KevC

Post by KevC » 06 Sep 2013, 15:45

Maybe Hunt's son should have done it. He could probably act better too.

majidasadi
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by majidasadi » 06 Sep 2013, 18:18

Wow! it currently holds an 88 out of 100 in metacritic, higher that any other movie this year.
http://www.metacritic.com/movie/rush
A craven can be as brave as any man, when there is nothing to fear. And we all do our duty, when there is no cost to it. How easy it seems then, to walk the path of honor.

Treacle
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Treacle » 13 Sep 2013, 20:02

I just saw the movie. I think it was brilliant.
"Right now I'm having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before."

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 13 Sep 2013, 20:12

Was hemsworth too.... hollywood glam and American?

Treacle
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Treacle » 13 Sep 2013, 20:21

mikhailv wrote:Was hemsworth too.... hollywood glam and American?
No, I think he did really well, at least I expected way worse. Though our definitions of "Hollywood glam and American" might be different. :O But it's true that Brühl kind of steals the show...
(And on a side note, I am really happy that it wasn't dubbed, because hearing them speak English, German and Italian gives it a special atmosphere... :))

tderias
PL Manager
PL Manager

Post by tderias » 14 Sep 2013, 06:46

I can't wait to see this. Hopefully its a sign of things to come, then maybe Ron Howard or someone else will recreate the rivalry between Senna and Prost!

majidasadi
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by majidasadi » 18 Sep 2013, 17:39

I know it's a bit late but here's the review by Brad Brevet of Rope of Silicon, he has given an A- to this and he also thinks that Bruhl's performance will secure an Oscar nomination.

http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/rush-movie ... ival-2013/
A craven can be as brave as any man, when there is nothing to fear. And we all do our duty, when there is no cost to it. How easy it seems then, to walk the path of honor.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 18 Sep 2013, 17:59

I went to watch it last week so for everyone in countries where it's yet to open, here's what I thought:

Overall, it's very good. It's not a documentary, like Senna, but neither is it car-based-rubbish like previous motor racing films.

Chris Hemsworth as James Hunt is okay. He's a little wooden but I think some of that is the script. My only issue is that Hunt is portrayed as just downright unpleasant. Those who speak of him - and from what I read in Autosport (when I did Work experience there, I read about 2 years worth of his diaries) - portray him as a loveable rogue. Daniel Bruhl, on the other hand, is just stunning as Niki Lauda. The mannerisms, his physique, his accent is all just astonishing. He doesn't play Lauda, he is Lauda. If he doesn't get an Oscar nomination I'll be stunned.

The relationship between the two is odd. They're portrayed as having grown respect for each other but never really liking one another. I was always under the impression that they were fairly friendly towards each other. As for the film, it is very good. The accident is very well recreated and it's rather emotional.

The racing scenes obviously take liberty with the truth. Of course it isn't really Monza or Fuji because they didn't have the budget to film there. You will watch - as a racing fan - and know that it's not Paul Ricard, and that it's really Brands Hatch, but it doesn't really matter on the grand scheme of things. The action is good, although sometimes it's a bit close-up but I guess this is due to logistics. The only real issue is that the drivers seem to change down and floor the throttle to complete a pass. Again, lacking in realism but it's not a major negative. The plot also focuses on some issues but glosses over others, such as events at Brands Hatch.

Hans Zimmer's musical score is also extremely good and really adds to the film, while the sound of the engines at a cinema is pretty damn cool.

Overall, you have to go and watch it. But remember it's a film and not a documentary.

F1EA
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Rush

Post by F1EA » 18 Sep 2013, 18:25

^^ cool review.

So i guess it's worth watching.
I tend not to like movies about stuff i like, because movies tend to over-dramatize or over simplify things.... Senna's documentary was soooooo dramatized and biased, so i guess this movie will be ok to watch knowing it's made to capture an audience with some "artistic freedoms" rather than some other agenda ;)