Formula One TV Coverage

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
tderias
PL Manager
PL Manager

Re: Formula One TV Coverage

Post by tderias » 30 Mar 2014, 23:44

mileso wrote:If you have been following Sky's 'Sensorgate' coverage it is nothing but a propaganda campaign against Red Bull added to the intense almost hatred of Vettel by all of Sky's on camera 'talent'.
Really shocking for a Canadian to see British press so blatantly biased in its coverage.
The dogged unwillingness of Sky's commentators to distinguish between Technical regulations and Technical recommendations is very reminiscent of Herr Goebbels.
Relax, it's not only Vettel they're biased against. Apart from Kravitz, they're not big Ferrari fans either. They're also becoming more and more British-biased. I mean some bias is understandable, but often it does become excessive. BBC is much better in that aspect, which is surprising given that you'd expect the public/national broadcaster to be the biased one as opposed to the private entity.

It's why I watch the BBC feed whenever I can nowadays. Crofty is completely anti-Ferrari, even the deaf can tell! Brundle is okay-ish, but I think Kravitz is the fairest. On the other hand, I find Ben Edwards and DC more-or-less consistently objective.

mileso
Donator
Donator

Post by mileso » 30 Mar 2014, 23:54

I unfortunately have to download the races and related events from the newsgroups. Great because there are no adverts or breaks but bad because all that get posted is the damned Sky c**p. Kravitts is the one gem in the lot.
Is it my imagination or have they all adopted a more pronounced, and therefore more irritating to me, British public school accents?
It used to be that the commentators mostly shut their pie holes unless something was happening on the track? This constant effort at creating conflict and therefor int heir eyes excitement is truly ignorant and harmful to the sport.

tderias
PL Manager
PL Manager

Post by tderias » 31 Mar 2014, 00:05

mileso wrote:Is it my imagination or have they all adopted a more pronounced, and therefore more irritating to me, British public school accents?
I think I know what you mean. Its Crofty who does my head in. I really don't know why, but he's just getting more and more annoying for me. He really tries to make a meal out of everything, and he always speaks in the same, predetermined style that is so predictable and repetitive, and honestly adds little to the show. I feel like Brundle tries to break that trend every now and then by jumping in with something that's actually useful.

mileso
Donator
Donator

Post by mileso » 31 Mar 2014, 00:15

Well it's cool there is one other person who agrees with me. Last year I got put in my place rather often when I complained about Sky.
And:
In a year of massive technological change why isn't Kravitts given a couple of hours to explain it? He has a great handle on the nuts and bolts.

mileso
Donator
Donator

Post by mileso » 31 Mar 2014, 00:17

OH and to add about DC. I can barely comprehend him when he gets his Scottish "flair" on.

tderias
PL Manager
PL Manager

Post by tderias » 31 Mar 2014, 00:25

Well to be fair they have given Kravitz a lot of TV time as a result of the technical changes. He's been the man to watch throughout all of winter testing, shedding light on all the new regulations. If you add that to his segments during the F1 show, the build-ups and his personal 'notebook', you have to says he gets hours upon hours of airtime.

Sky have their own F1 channel; one resource they have in abundance is open-ended airtime, unlike BBC which is more restricted to a schedule.

tderias
PL Manager
PL Manager

Post by tderias » 31 Mar 2014, 00:28

Yea DC does come off a bit queer at times lol. But I'd have the occasional, often humorous remarks over constant dreariness any day of the week.

tderias
PL Manager
PL Manager

Post by tderias » 04 Jul 2014, 10:57

I was watching the BBC feed, when they had to cut off with 5 mins remaining in the practice session because 'Daily Politics' was up next.

It makes me sad really. We're talking about a broadcaster that covered F1 before something called 'Sky' even existed. Some of the moments in the history of the sport, with the commentary of Murray Walker, have made clips that have become legendary and golden in the eyes of the fans (Senna/Prost 1990 accident, or Mansell's flat tyre at Silverstone).

Yet, now they've lost the rights to broadcast the races, and even the ones they get to broadcast are hurried and carelessly planned. All that, and the fact that they've got both BBC3 and BBC4 off-air until 11pm makes it even worse! It just doesn't make sense to me.

Really sad.

cformula1
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by cformula1 » 05 Jul 2014, 11:51

Current speculation for F1 coverage in Australia beyond 2015:
-Ten is likely to bid in conjunction with Fox Sports (pay TV), with a deal similar to the current UK deal- Ten and Fox Sports have recently signed a similar deal for the V8 Supercar rights from 2015
-Seven is also considering a bid for exclusive rights, and is likely to split coverage between their main channel and multichannel 7mate

donald29
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by donald29 » 02 Aug 2014, 12:23

Just watched The F1 Show for the first time in a while. Why have they introduced a studio audience, more specifically why do they ask for their questions and opinions? One guy said "with Ricciardo only 2 wins behind now shouldn't Mercedes get behind Lewis and make sure a Mercedes wins the championship?" Their opinions add nothing to the show, and there were some really stupid ones. Should be renamed "The AUTOSPORT Forum Show".

I really liked Bruno Senna as a pundit, but overall the show was a lot worse than what I remember pre-studio audience. Won't be watching again in a hurry.

KevC

Post by KevC » 02 Aug 2014, 19:23

Must admit I'm not so keen on the studio audience format. I preferred it more when it was a news magazine type of show. I do wonder though if they struggle a bit to fill an hour. Half of it is just a re-hash of the previous race, standings, couple of incident reviews, rather than talking points from the race and F1 news items.

I wasn't so keen on Bruno as the pundit. He needs a bit more practice and needs to speak a bit slower. AD is a lot better imo.

donald29
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by donald29 » 03 Aug 2014, 12:52

I agree Davidson is better. He's become brilliant actually, has a really good eye when analysing an incident. I never liked him as a pundit when he first started, I think in 2008/9 he was fresh out of F1 and still felt he should be there so seemed bitter. His analysis was often "I could do better than him". But that stopped a while ago and he's excellent now.

tderias
PL Manager
PL Manager

Post by tderias » 03 Aug 2014, 19:36

Just watched it. It looks like they're trying to emulate Top Gear? They focus too much on history/ montages/ clips when they should really focus on the latest news imo. And yea I like AD too, and that question about backing Lewis was quite dumb lol.

Bruno Senna just seems like he's always too nervous...