2007 Chinese Formula 1 Grand Prix

Reports, quotes, stats specifically about the F1 2007 season Grands Prix.
iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

2007 Chinese Formula 1 Grand Prix

Post by iceman1 » 30 Sep 2007, 18:00

Welcome to the 2007 Chinese Formula 1 Grand Prix in Shanghai :shhh:

Grand Prix History
The vision of a Chinese grand prix started in the early 1990's. The Chinese government had originally planned for an F1 circuit to be located in the city of Zhuhai in Guangdong Province, southern China. A racing circuit was designed and built and was provisionally added to the 1999 F1 World Championship calendar, but the track failed to meet standards set by the FIA[1]. However, the Chinese government, with assistance from the organisers of the Macau Grand Prix, set about organising a successful race track. In 2002, it was announced that the Shanghai circuit had signed a 7 year contract to host the Chinese Grand Prix starting in 2004, and ending in the 2011 season. The Chinese Grand Prix debuted on the Formula One calendar on September 26, 2004, and was won by Rubens Barrichello. The following year it hosted the final race of the Formula One championship, where world champion Fernando Alonso emerged victorious, and with it claimed the constructor's title for Renault F1. In 2006, the Grand Prix became the final race in which Michael Schumacher was victorious.

Grand Prix Information

Code: Select all

Laps                             56
Circuit length                   5.4 km (3.36 miles)
Race length                      305.066 km (189.60 miles)
Most wins by single driver       Rubens Barichello / Fernando Alonso / Michael Schumacher (1)
Most wins by single constructor  Ferrari (2)
Lap Record Race                  1:32.238
Lap Record Driver                Michael Schumacher (2004)
Tires Prime                      Hard
Tires Optional                   Medium 
Last Race (2006)

Code: Select all

Winner                           Michael Schumacher
Winning team                     Ferrari
Winning time                     1:37:32.747
Pole time                        1:44.360
Pole driver                      Fernando Alonso
Pole team                        Renault
Fastest lap                      1:37.586
Fastest lap driver               Fernando Alonso
Fastest lap team                 Renault 
Kimi Raikkonen’s lap of the circuit
The lap starts on the long pit straight, we power along the 600 metre section reaching speeds of 305km/h in sixth gear as we pass underneath the impressive grandstand walkway. As we reach the first corner we are down to fifth gear travelling at 234km/h, here we should pull 3.4G. This corner is very long as it sweeps round to the right, it is immediately followed by the right then left of turns two and three. Our speeds drop quite low through here to 107km/h as it is quite tight and we need to be in second gear.

As we exit turn three, we will have to push on the throttle to build up speed as we pass through the slight kinks of turns four and five that gently flick the track first left then right on the run down to turn six. We hit about 291km/h along here reaching sixth gear before braking hard for the hairpin of six, which will see us drop down into second gear and 102km/h.

Coming out of the hairpin there is a short straight that leads to a long, wide, sweeping S of seven and eight, with the track first curving to the left and then to the right. This is a chance to get the speed back up again and we reach 265km/h over turn seven and only lifting slightly for the apex of eight.

The two almost 90-degree bends of nine and ten follow which see us drop down to second gear and 137km/h before coming onto the short straight which leads to the tight left of eleven. We can reach speeds of 284km/h coming into turn 11 but drop down to second gear and 91km/h for the turn.

This then takes you onto another long sweeping right hander, similar to the complex at the end of the pit straight. This double-apex bend swings us back round on ourselves onto a straight that runs parallel to the one we were just on. The corner is the widest section of the track and it is fairly long so we are able to increase our speed to 249km/h as we drive through it and are back in fifth gear as we exit onto the back straight. This corner is particularly important for a quick lap time, as it swings round onto the longest straight, which is just over one kilometre.

We need to ensure we have the maximum speed possible as we exit the corner so that we have the momentum to power along the back straight at speeds nearing 326km/h in sixth. A hard braking zone at the end of the straight for the two rights of fourteen and fifteen as we descend to second gear and 88km/h for these corners. Again on the power for a short straight that takes you to the final corner, a 90-degree left-hander taken at 181km/h in third gear returning you to the pit straight.
Can Lewis claim his first Formula 1 World Championship here?
Who will be on the podium?
Will we see another wet race?

Zack
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Re: 2007 Chinese Formula 1 Grand Prix

Post by Zack » 30 Sep 2007, 18:44

:wink:
Better than a thousand hollow words is one word that brings PEACE -Buddha
There is no point in defining a point... But there is a point in trying -Zack

ImageImage
[Videos]

Donate & support us
-ZACK- IO

dazmoffman
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by dazmoffman » 30 Sep 2007, 23:25

Hmmm i dont know which team suits this track best ferrari or mclaren? i suppose neither team has much data on this teack anyway so should be interesting i cannot wait for this but at the same time i dont want the season to end as it has been the most exciting for a long time.

JoostLamers
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Post by JoostLamers » 01 Oct 2007, 10:05

I think the Ferrari suits best @ China, but anyway, Hamilton is going to get his first WC. Ferrari will score a 1-2, with Alonso or Hamilton behind them. So that means Hamilton (4th) 112 - Alonso (3rd) - 101 and Raikkonen with a win 100, so i think it will be done in China !yahoo: , if it's remains dry...
<<<The flag Lew1s waved at

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 01 Oct 2007, 11:25

Vettel gets Chinese GP penalty
30 September 2007

If he thought things couldn't get much worse than colliding with a sister Red Bull Racing car while both he and Webber were on track for a podium, Sebastian Vettel has been handed a ten-place grid penalty for the Chinese Grand Prix.

Stewards at Fuji ruled Vettel at fault for the incident and have handed down the penalty. The rookie broke down in tears after causing the accident and has since apologised to Mark Webber.
Source

Vettel can take Lewis out even under SC :p

Lightning983
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by Lightning983 » 01 Oct 2007, 12:18

Well, the first thing that comes to mind is a wet GP... and THEN i remember Michael retired so... !grin!
I Guess rain would be good, but not too much... we wouldn't want those high quality drain covers popping out again would we ?

Expecting a cruising race for Alonso and Hamilton. Alonso having his title dreams crushed, and Hamilton simply trying to cruise to the WDC, maybe Kimi or Massa victory... if it rains who knows? Vettel !grin! or Webber maybe !grin!

In any case its gonna be interesting and i can't wait.
It will be hard to beat last years GP though, that was a GREAT race.

McLaren-F1
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by McLaren-F1 » 01 Oct 2007, 12:32

i think it'll be another rainy race and can't wait..Can you think this Hamilton DNF or 9th and Alonso's win :@:2 Last race would be fantastic :p
4ever McLaren...

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 01 Oct 2007, 13:58

McLaren-F1 wrote:i think it'll be another rainy race
will Not Rain :p

dazmoffman
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by dazmoffman » 01 Oct 2007, 15:18

rain would make it interesting

McLaren-F1
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by McLaren-F1 » 01 Oct 2007, 22:23

4ever McLaren...

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 02 Oct 2007, 14:26

Ferrari: Hamilton title would be tainted

Tuesday, October 2nd 2007, 08:22 GMT

Lewis Hamilton will have to thank Ferrari if he wins the Formula One title in China this weekend, according to the Italian team's president Luca di Montezemolo.

"I still think that in the spying affair it was a big mistake not to disqualify the McLaren drivers as well," the Gazzetta dello Sport web site quoted him as saying after Sunday's Japanese Grand Prix.

"It means that if Hamilton wins the championship, he will also win it thanks to Ferrari because there is a lot of Ferrari in his car."

McLaren were fined $100 million and stripped of all their constructors' points by the governing International Automobile Federation (FIA) last month for having Ferrari technical information in their possession.

However, the drivers escaped sanctions because the FIA said they had been granted an amnesty in exchange for providing evidence.

Hamilton, 22, can become the first rookie to win the championship as well as the youngest world champion if he wins this Sunday's penultimate race of the season in Shanghai.

The Briton leads teammate and double world champion Fernando Alonso by 12 points after the Spaniard crashed in Fuji.

Ferrari have won the constructors' championship

Adri
car driver
car driver

Post by Adri » 02 Oct 2007, 16:04

I like this circuit. It's one of my favourite circuits!! (Spa is the best for me). I wish Kimi win this GP and Alonso crashes again. (I'm very bad, I know). I can't wait for this GP!!
ImageKimi Rules!!!Image

HamiltonF1
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by HamiltonF1 » 02 Oct 2007, 17:13

Hamilton for world champion :)

He only needs to score points and than he will wright even more history :)

But about the circuit I'm not really a big fan of it dont really like it for some reason but I hope its going to be a good race ;)

maltafan
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by maltafan » 02 Oct 2007, 20:39

HamiltonF1 wrote:Hamilton for world champion :)

He only needs to score points and than he will wright even more history :)

But about the circuit I'm not really a big fan of it dont really like it for some reason but I hope its going to be a good race ;)
If Hamilton gets 5th and 4th in the next 2 races, and Alonso wins both of them, he's declared champion
If he finishes 7th in each of the remaining races, Raikkonen will be mathematically out.
If he scores 1 point less than Alonso in the next race, he's the champion too.

TommyBellingham

Post by TommyBellingham » 03 Oct 2007, 12:20

Any live steams of this race?