2014 FORMULA 1 ROLEX AUSTRALIAN GRAND PRIX

Season 2015 - Reports, photos, quotes, stats, interviews, gossips, and hot discussion.
mileso
Donator
Donator

Re: 2014 FORMULA 1 ROLEX AUSTRALIAN GRAND PRIX

Post by mileso » 17 Mar 2014, 01:42

Let's look at the technological "advances":
braking by wire FAIL
Most of the actual racing is being done via buttons on the steering wheel FAIL for race watchers
Engineers setting controls from pit lane FAIL for race watchers
Reduced down force FAIL for drivers and race watchers
New engines FAIL too much uncontrollable torque
Smaller engines but heavier cars FAIL due to turbo lag.
Reduced front down force FAIL as it causes early braking and poor cornering
Just to name a few.

F1EA
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by F1EA » 17 Mar 2014, 01:52

They'll improve and iron out a few of those issues. Also, they'll be able to be more aggressive when they know the cars better...... the question is, will that provide a better series or just bring it back to more or less what it was before?

I'm ok with giving it several races to see how it pans out. But so far, the show was truly poor..... so let's hope for the better

tderias
PL Manager
PL Manager

Post by tderias » 17 Mar 2014, 03:32

mileso wrote:Let's look at the technological "advances":
braking by wire FAIL
Most of the actual racing is being done via buttons on the steering wheel FAIL for race watchers
Engineers setting controls from pit lane FAIL for race watchers
Reduced down force FAIL for drivers and race watchers
New engines FAIL too much uncontrollable torque
Smaller engines but heavier cars FAIL due to turbo lag.
Reduced front down force FAIL as it causes early braking and poor cornering
Just to name a few.
Excitement and uncertainty in races? WIN.

Give it time for God's sake. I'm with Francois on this one; the teams have done an immaculate job to get the cars to the finish today. I honestly thought we'd have no fight for points, but more than 10 cars finished, most of which haven't even completed a full race distance in testing.

F1 is the pinnacle in automobile technology. It can't be left behind, especially with manufacturers like Porsche, McLaren and Ferrari have all adopted hybrid engines in their flagship cars.

They'll sort the issues out, and soon enough the cars will be fast and reliable. Enjoy the racing and just give the rules some time...

Vlad-SRB
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Vlad-SRB » 17 Mar 2014, 15:28

A bit unfair to give K-Mag 10 and Kvyat just 8, considering the cars they are driving, but ok. And Button had an awesome race, 7 is way too low for that.

Human at Sight,
Monster at Heart!

François
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by François » 17 Mar 2014, 15:53

It's not unfair. Kvyat held his ground firmly, made the best of his car's strengths (and his own) in the wet and then drove a very mature race to finish in the points and right behind his more experienced teammate. Magnussen, on the other hand, exceeded expectations by a landslide, outperforming his world champion teammate both in quali and the race. Of course there should be a difference, not that it diminishes Kvyat's accomplishment by any mean.

cformula1
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by cformula1 » 17 Mar 2014, 17:17

While in my view Ricciardo's disqualification is justified (although perhaps a tad harsh), the FIA have very much shot themselves in both feet when it comes to retaining Aussie fans- the overwhelming majority of casual followers here are very upset by this and many of them I would think may not bother with Formula 1 anymore after this.

F1EA
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by F1EA » 17 Mar 2014, 17:34

Wow lots of really dire newsbits in F1-live... most articles sound pretty harsh against the current F1.

I was not happy with what i saw. Seems a lot of people aren't.

Everything capped with a report that Bernie may sell his F1 stake.

Something's wrong in F1.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 17 Mar 2014, 17:37

The issue is with the amount of time it took.

You'd have thought the FIA had the data and capability to throw him out before he stepped on the podium...

The problem is that everyone jumps on the negativity bandwagon. Give it time. The formula will work and we will still love it.

majidasadi
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by majidasadi » 17 Mar 2014, 18:32

Well, I like the current situation, the sound of new power units is great IMO and the cars look very good from the onboard shots (only onboard shots of course!) and I think the new regulations have made races more exciting, we saw that reliability wasn't that bad and there was some quite interesting battles, I think people are judging new F1 a little bit too soon.
A craven can be as brave as any man, when there is nothing to fear. And we all do our duty, when there is no cost to it. How easy it seems then, to walk the path of honor.

donald29
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by donald29 » 17 Mar 2014, 19:49

Christ, hate these OTT negative headlines. Like Phil says, it's jumping on the bandwagon. Such as 2010 (not enough pitstops) and 2013 (too many pitstops).

I personally think the new engines are great. It's better than Formula 1 using 8 year old engines. They're new and exciting, and to be honest I like the new interesting noises you can hear.

Vorull
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Vorull » 17 Mar 2014, 20:12

donald29 wrote:Christ, hate these OTT negative headlines. Like Phil says, it's jumping on the bandwagon. Such as 2010 (not enough pitstops) and 2013 (too many pitstops).

I personally think the new engines are great. It's better than Formula 1 using 8 year old engines. They're new and exciting, and to be honest I like the new interesting noises you can hear.
I agree, the new engines are much better than the old V8s. They sound better, they are more efficient and make the cars dance on the track. And I'm quite happy that the tires last longer, it's less chaotic and overtakes will become more memorable. The only thing I'm not sure about is the DRS. Sometimes it aids to much, sometimes it creates opportunities that were never meant to happen.

KevC

Post by KevC » 17 Mar 2014, 20:47

edwardthetwinky
car driver
car driver

Post by edwardthetwinky » 17 Mar 2014, 21:16

Vorull wrote:
donald29 wrote:Christ, hate these OTT negative headlines. Like Phil says, it's jumping on the bandwagon. Such as 2010 (not enough pitstops) and 2013 (too many pitstops).

I agree, the new engines are much better than the old V8s. They sound better, they are more efficient and make the cars dance on the track. And I'm quite happy that the tires last longer, it's less chaotic and overtakes will become more memorable. The only thing I'm not sure about is the DRS. Sometimes it aids to much, sometimes it creates opportunities that were never meant to happen.
From my understanding the new DRS allows up to 33 seconds of power now? It'll be interesting to see the straights and how the drivers will be utilizing it for take overs. +1 for the V6s but in terms of marketing the V6 term sounds so much more underpowered than saying "V8" haha. Cheers all!

Artur Craft
kart driver
kart driver

Post by Artur Craft » 17 Mar 2014, 21:52

The ERS is for 33 seconds. DRS is only available in parts of the track when you are within 1 second of the car ahead :roll::