Other
No votes

Total votes: 37

François
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Re: Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix

Post by François » 24 Apr 2013, 14:43

Well, if he was only trying his hardest on this special occasion, that's going to raise some questions. :p

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 24 Apr 2013, 15:46

Kevin Clark wrote:
mikhailv wrote:I was shocked at Perez. Never seen him so combatant behind the wheel and so successful. Mightily impressed by it. Reminded me of Lewis on Jenson; precise, aggressive and affirming his position over him. Didnt like Jenson shoving Perez off track nor Perez shoving Alonso off track, I thought that was crowding but it seems to be acceptable now which is strange.
Ted Kravitz suggested that it might have been because his major sponsors were there and McLaren are looking for a new title sponsor next year so he was driving out of his skin to look impressive for the money men.
yeah, Carlos Slim was there wasn't he. Richest man on earth according to forbs since 2010. $73billion he is worth. He should come to every race; Perez was brilliant.

donald29
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by donald29 » 24 Apr 2013, 16:13

Getting annoyed at people saying 'well done McLaren for letting their drivers race' and comparing it to Malaysia. Two drivers scrapping over 8th place in the middle of the race is not the same as two drivers 1-2 in the final stint. They think McLaren have NEVER told their drivers to hold station...?

F1EA
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by F1EA » 24 Apr 2013, 16:25

mikhailv wrote:
Kevin Clark wrote:
mikhailv wrote:I was shocked at Perez. Never seen him so combatant behind the wheel and so successful. Mightily impressed by it. Reminded me of Lewis on Jenson; precise, aggressive and affirming his position over him. Didnt like Jenson shoving Perez off track nor Perez shoving Alonso off track, I thought that was crowding but it seems to be acceptable now which is strange.
Ted Kravitz suggested that it might have been because his major sponsors were there and McLaren are looking for a new title sponsor next year so he was driving out of his skin to look impressive for the money men.
yeah, Carlos Slim was there wasn't he. Richest man on earth according to forbs since 2010. $73billion he is worth. He should come to every race; Perez was brilliant.
Assuming he lives to 80 old... a day in the life of Carlos Slim is worth 2.5 Million... Going to every race, is 50 Million plus expenses...

That' one expensive driver :p

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 24 Apr 2013, 17:35

donald29 wrote:Getting annoyed at people saying 'well done McLaren for letting their drivers race' and comparing it to Malaysia. Two drivers scrapping over 8th place in the middle of the race is not the same as two drivers 1-2 in the final stint. They think McLaren have NEVER told their drivers to hold station...?
Mclaren were shitting themselves. They didnt want Lewis/Jenson to race in Turkey. They didnt want them tripping over each other in Brazil. Its not 'well done mclaren' at all is it. I dont think its regardless of any place, if Mclaren told Perez to stay back, he shouldve because its what the team wants. If anything, Mclaren shouldve let Perez by sooner because He couldve been 5th with the pace he had.

But now, Perez is slated for being over aggressive!!!! It beggers belief. People want him to up his game, so he does, massively and impresses only to be slated for upping his game because he put his experienced teammate into a whinge and in his shadow and left him for dust.

Its abit of a conflict really. People celebrated Vettel disobeying team orders. But how would those people feel if Webber had an advantage then did the same? He would be shot by many Vettel fans because he disobeyed the team. Rosberg is the same example. If lewis overtook Rosberg people would say Hamilton isn't a team player just like the flipside of them criticising Hamilton for Malaysia and saying Rosberg was honourable but weak and Hamilton is number 1. but its a different story for different drivers isn't it. Its all a hypocrisy.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 24 Apr 2013, 17:43

It is hypocrisy, I've said it before. We hold different drivers to different rules yet it shouldn't be that way for the guys running at the front. Eg, Kimi can be an arse but it's Kimi being Kimi. If Lewis did the same thing, we'd be saying he's rude and arrogant.

Button always comes out positively. Last year when he went missing for a few races, he was rarely criticised. Yet in 2011 Lewis got a lot of criticism for his problems. Remember how in Canada 2011, Jenson still came out better despite two accidents with rivals. It's the same here. Perez tries to get past, Button puts him off the circuit. Yet post-race, the Whitmarsh-Button combo comes out all chummy to Sky. Yet people wonder why Lewis left...

François
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by François » 24 Apr 2013, 17:47

Bottom line: either when team orders aren't enforced (Bahrein) or when at least one driver ignores them (Malaysia), we see breathtaking action on the track. We all want more of that, and less engineers telling drivers to bring the cars home and oh my god stop doing that silly "racing" thing of yours. Less thinking, more wheel banging.

Adam
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by Adam » 25 Apr 2013, 06:27

And this is exactly the kind of race I hate.

What I find more disgusting is how some blogers and medias are already writting Alonso off. He could have very well won both at the races he had the problems and people must keep it in mind for future races where he won't be so unlucky.

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 25 Apr 2013, 08:08

phil1993 wrote:It is hypocrisy, I've said it before. We hold different drivers to different rules yet it shouldn't be that way for the guys running at the front. Eg, Kimi can be an arse but it's Kimi being Kimi. If Lewis did the same thing, we'd be saying he's rude and arrogant.

Button always comes out positively. Last year when he went missing for a few races, he was rarely criticised. Yet in 2011 Lewis got a lot of criticism for his problems. Remember how in Canada 2011, Jenson still came out better despite two accidents with rivals. It's the same here. Perez tries to get past, Button puts him off the circuit. Yet post-race, the Whitmarsh-Button combo comes out all chummy to Sky. Yet people wonder why Lewis left...
I agree. It shouldnt be about the driver, it should be about the concept. If you support team orders for a specific driver, but not for another, then you dont support team orders as a concept; you support your driver being given preferential treatment. I support the concept that two drivers are employees and work for a team, no matter who you are you follow team orders whether it benefits your supported driver, or whether it puts him at a disadvantage. Its the concept.

Me personally, agree with team orders and would expect Alonso to move over immediately or at the first opportunity. I wouldnt mind him making a point that he was faster but gave way. He still obeys the team orders. Just like i wouldnt mind if Massa was faster and made his point but stayed behind. message understood. Kimi showed he was faster than Massa in China 2008, made the point then lets him past.

Regarding kimi's behaviour, I think he is an utter cock. its not cool, he is just a cock. On the flipside, Alonso gets criticised for talking the car down saying its 2nd or 3rd best, but when Kimi won Australia and then finished 7th in Malaysia he was criticising the car, even in China he was saying they need more pace in qualifying as they aren't fastest yet even though he was 2 tenths off; nobody was calling Kimi then.

Its hilarious and frustrating at the same time.

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 25 Apr 2013, 08:15

Adam wrote:And this is exactly the kind of race I hate.

What I find more disgusting is how some blogers and medias are already writting Alonso off. He could have very well won both at the races he had the problems and people must keep it in mind for future races where he won't be so unlucky.
Its not disgusting, its just media. 30 points is a hell of alot of points to claw back. Redbull since 2011, theres been 2 mechanical faults; Valencia and Monza 2012, then Abu Dhabi 2011 with a tyre failure. That's all the reliability problems Vettel has had. The RBR is extremely reliable just like the Ferrari. Its not unlucky having a mechanical failure; it is exactly that; a failure of a part, whether its installation or manufacture is faltered, its a failure. There is no luck involved with mechanical failures in my opinion because down the line something or someone didnt do the job correct.

But 30 points is alot to claw back. The team have made 1 mistake in malaysia; Alonso hitting Vettel and Ferrari not pitting and then a mistake in Bahrain. They had to take the chance in using DRS again; what if it was a single hiccup, they play safe and he cant use DRS all race only for it to work? And people keep saying 'oh if they didnt use it he would be 20 odd seconds up the road'. Well thats a nice theory, but its severely flawed; How do you overtake cars without DRS only for them to repass you WITH DRS? People forget that.

Either road, its still a mountain to climb, even though he probably would've won Malaysia and been 2nd minimum in Bahrain. Over a season everyone has at least 2 faults; The team need to be pitch perfect from now on.

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 28 Apr 2013, 19:46

François
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by François » 28 Apr 2013, 21:09

iceman1 wrote:Hi-Res pictures from Bahrain!

http://www.f1zone.net/news/gallery/2013 ... n-gp-2013/
Nice!

Vlad-SRB
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Vlad-SRB » 29 Apr 2013, 11:18

Bahrain GP Race Edit is up on Formula1.com. I can honestly say that this is the best edit I've seen so far. The combination with the song is insane, everything fits perfect!

Human at Sight,
Monster at Heart!

Vorull
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Vorull » 29 Apr 2013, 19:18

Vlad-SRB wrote:Bahrain GP Race Edit is up on Formula1.com. I can honestly say that this is the best edit I've seen so far. The combination with the song is insane, everything fits perfect!
Yes, this is a good one, but I still think these race edits are getting worse every year. In 2008, 2009 and 2010 they were all awesome (all the spa videos are great :drool: ), then in 2011 there was so much action on race day, that it was impossible to make a nice flowing video. Same goes for 2012.

donald29
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by donald29 » 30 Apr 2013, 19:50

Plus they're only about 2 minutes long now.