Total votes: 37

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Re: UBS Chinese Grand Prix

Post by mikhailv » 14 Apr 2013, 11:15

François wrote:
mikhailv wrote:
François wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but since the yellow flag zone was at the end of the straight, wasn't the DRS activation point still in the green zone? It may well be that some drivers simply had no way of knowing DRS was disallowed until they approached the corner.
I believe so, but then its still tough. Teams shouldve been on the radio saying 'yellows sector 3'. If they didnt and the driver went blind in using DRS, its still a penalty. They still broke a rule regardless of knowing. Its completely tough luck; its broke, intended or not. Sauber didnt intend to get 2mm wrong on the rear wing but they were disqualified. no performance advantage was gained in the slightest, but they broke a rule mistakenly and were punished.

A rule is broken, it needs punishment. Continually the stewards over-penalise certain drivers then just slaps wrists and say dont do it again for the rest. Why have rules if you just wash infringmenets away? If Alonso used DRS illegally, he should get a penalty whether he loses the win or not. Rules are rules. nobody goes out to break rules on purpose, but thats life.
I see your point, but if things were so black and white, we'd already have the stewards' decision by now. Rules are rules but you cannot take those decisions likely when the half the field are involved. Besides, the situation is a byproduct of the shortcomings of an FIA system, so you have to take that into account too.

Let's hope whatever decision they end up making is fair to everyone and doesn't overturn the race results too badly.
Yeah, but the teams shouldve told the drivers. in the days of no computer systems, it wouldve been tough luck. Things are black and white to me; rule broke = penalty, it should always have been like that.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 14 Apr 2013, 11:27

No further action on DRS infringement, apparently.

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 14 Apr 2013, 11:28

Yeah I heard that. Lack of backbone as usual. penalise a racing incident but not rule breaking eh :P

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 14 Apr 2013, 11:33

mikhailv wrote:Yeah I heard that. Lack of backbone as usual. penalise a racing incident but not rule breaking eh :P
Wait for the official documentation to read why.

donald29
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by donald29 » 14 Apr 2013, 11:37

mikhailv wrote:Yeah I heard that. Lack of backbone as usual. penalise a racing incident but not rule breaking eh :P
Webber pretty much held his hands up to the Vergne incident. Said Vergne was wide, but wanted to hit the apex which he's entitled to do. He came from a very long way back, I agree with Brundle. I think he misread the situation and thought Vergne was letting him by when he wasn't.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 14 Apr 2013, 11:53

A delay of 1 minute from display of yellow flags to message to teams - re:DRS problems.

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 14 Apr 2013, 12:10

So was there a 1 minuet delay on flags being shown? That means DRS wasn't used under Yellow flags, so it shouldn't have even been investigated. lol;
Stewards said there were mitigating circumstances, stating there had been a one-minute delay between the displaying of yellow flags until the notification that DRS had been de-activated.

Furthermore, the stewards noted a 'degree of confusion' caused by another race where the FIA had had to disable its electronic marshalling system because of ongoing problems with its new supplier.

A third issue was that a green light was being displayed on the main straight, which drivers believed meant that they could use DRS

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 14 Apr 2013, 12:39

@andrewbensonf1: Hamilton used a rude word while being dismissive of Perez's character, which I suspect may be mentioned in a few places in next day or so.

What is it?

donald29
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by donald29 » 14 Apr 2013, 12:47

mikhailv wrote:So was there a 1 minuet delay on flags being shown? That means DRS wasn't used under Yellow flags, so it shouldn't have even been investigated. lol;
Stewards said there were mitigating circumstances, stating there had been a one-minute delay between the displaying of yellow flags until the notification that DRS had been de-activated.

Furthermore, the stewards noted a 'degree of confusion' caused by another race where the FIA had had to disable its electronic marshalling system because of ongoing problems with its new supplier.

A third issue was that a green light was being displayed on the main straight, which drivers believed meant that they could use DRS
Yeah. Explanation makes sense, should have definitely been no penalties!

No idea iceman, I want to know. :p Are you going to be in Bahrain next week?

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 14 Apr 2013, 13:05

Haven't heard about that.

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 14 Apr 2013, 13:07

donald29 wrote:No idea iceman, I want to know. :p Are you going to be in Bahrain next week?
Yeah going on Tuesday :p

Alan Permane: "We lost around 0.25 seconds per lap due to the damage to Kimi’s car."

donald29
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by donald29 » 14 Apr 2013, 13:08

Say hi to Byron. :p

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 14 Apr 2013, 13:09

That hole in the wing is actually where he keeps his square cap.

tderias
PL Manager
PL Manager

Post by tderias » 14 Apr 2013, 13:13

mikhailv wrote:So was there a 1 minuet delay on flags being shown? That means DRS wasn't used under Yellow flags, so it shouldn't have even been investigated. lol;

That's why it's a grey area mikhail :D. FIA know their rules and I think it's a fair punishment, although I vividly remember Alonso not using DRS even when he was within 1 second of another car. Not sure who it was, gotta watch the replay to know for sure.
iceman1 wrote:@andrewbensonf1: Hamilton used a rude word while being dismissive of Perez's character, which I suspect may be mentioned in a few places in next day or so.

What is it?
In the room where the podium guys meet before the actual podium ceremony, Kimi was discussing how he rear-ended Perez, and Lewis concurred saying yea Perez was all over the place. I didn't catch an offensive word, but he might have f-bombed or something because Crofty immediately apologised to the viewers for the language used.

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 14 Apr 2013, 13:21

donald29 wrote:Say hi to Byron. :p
Off-Topic: show
He'll be busy teaching his daughter how to driver the car back home :lol: