Other
3%

Total votes: 76

sportingcp
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Re: 2013 Rolex Australian Grand Prix

Post by sportingcp » 17 Mar 2013, 13:53

I was looking at the fastest times of the GP and guess what, Bianchi FL is only 0,045 slower than Vettel´s one. I know this is only possible probably because he was with the softer tyres and with less fuel but still he is driving a Marussia! This guy seems to be mega. If he got the Force India seat he would be really competitive.

Ferrari92
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Ferrari92 » 17 Mar 2013, 14:17

That was a great race!
The SS tires are simply a joke, McLaren are nowhere, happy to see Massa back on form.
Congrats to Kimi and Lotus they made the right strategy, and if Mercedes can pick up their race pace that would be a great battle for the championship between 4 champions.

Ether
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Ether » 17 Mar 2013, 14:25

Overall I must say the race was not that great, it was particularly interesting when some teams tried to do 2 stopper (Mercedes and Kimi)... But then It was pretty impossible to do so, except for KIMI! which is quite interesting. We saw Grosjean struggling back there in the final points, and he said he might had something wrong with his car, because KIMI rules this GP by claiming one of his easiest victory!

Judging by this race, I must rate Lotus very high, they made a fast car, and SUPER LOW DEGRADATION on tires.. you could see that Alonso finish behind Kimi over 10secs behind.. It seems Kimi never loss his pace at all.. I wonder... Well probably this may sounds controversial, but last year we saw some anomalies on Pirelli tires, probably this time Kimi had this "lottery" tires which works better than others... I don't know, but Pirelli probably run it a little bit too far judging by what we saw last year, I cannot say wholly because the team's pace was very close to each other, but tyris seems the key when someone shone brilliantly in anomalies.

Let's see Lotus pace next week in Malaysia. IF KIMI can do the exact super tyre preservation just like in Melbourne, game on, this might be a battle for championship, and KIMI will be the dark horse replacing Vettel!

After watching the race, I must say that other teams seems quite normal, Ferrari is fast as always in race pace, and they always go on a very good start as always.. It was pretty much predictable. Ferrari is strong, judging by Kimi (IF) having anomalies in his tires, then Ferrari could be the best car so far (Quali and Race pace). It was pretty interesting to see that Red Bull didn't have so much pace just like we all imagine! I thought Ferrari would fight hard on Vettel, but after the race, I could clearly see that Red Bull losing his race pace to Ferrari!

Mercedes, seems having the same pace as Red Bull, but with slower car. Had Hamilton not trying 2 stopper, he might finish not that far to Massa, probably fighting for Massa, but not likely passing him. Ferrari had much more better pace than Mercedes.

In conclusion, my money on Alonso as WDC! But let's see, if Lotus and KIMI really showing their great pace of tire preservation, then Ferrari need much more power to develop on tire preservation.

It's pretty funny though, after some laps we all astonished on Red Bull's lack of pace.. After those domination on quali, it really is hard to believe on the result! Kimi win the Australian GP... For Mercedes, I think they might not be in contention of WDC... Hamilton did a good job, but their lack of race pace seems to me like a hard job to fight. Ferrari is pretty much far front.. but Red Bull seems quite close with Mercedes. They could spice up the championship though... with some other drivers making mistake, Hamilton could be last year's Kimi. Haunting back there when the championship contenders making mistake. Let's see how this season resolved! But it really is opening with something pretty interesting to watch!! :thumbsup:

Ether
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Ether » 17 Mar 2013, 14:26

Sorry for double post :blush:

O yeah, Bianchi did a great job back there, maybe he is the one should be recruited, replacing Button/Perez in Mclaren? :zz:
Last edited by Ether on 17 Mar 2013, 14:28, edited 1 time in total.

Edi96
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Edi96 » 17 Mar 2013, 14:27

sportingcp wrote:I was looking at the fastest times of the GP and guess what, Bianchi FL is only 0,045 slower than Vettel´s one. I know this is only possible probably because he was with the softer tyres and with less fuel but still he is driving a Marussia! This guy seems to be mega. If he got the Force India seat he would be really competitive.
The new Marussia seems to be quite good and he was the last driver to stop for new tires. Vergne had the second fastest lap but that stat is not as enlightening as it used to be, otherwise JEV would replace Webber for the next race.
Indeed a good debut by Bianchi but please don't hype this guy too much at this point of the season. He's a rookie after all and has much to learn.

Ether
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Ether » 17 Mar 2013, 14:35

By the way, after a very strong and pretty jaw-dropping performance of Sutil at front, he just finished 3secs to Di Resta? It is a disappointing finish for Sutil, I think it shows that starting on mediums or starting on Super Soft doesn't really show that much differences like those we saw on last year races... Swapping strategy with option tires at the end of the race and flying like hell overtaking other cars, that doesn't seems the case this year. Sutil struggling on his last stint in SS.

Eric_Cartman
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Eric_Cartman » 17 Mar 2013, 14:38

Ferrari was clearly the fastest car today. Once Alonso got passed Massa, he could easily match Raikkonen's pace. if you look back where Ferrari was last year in Melbourne, you have to say that Alonso is the top favourite to win the title. But we have to wait for Malaysia and China to see the real strength of the cars.
FC BAYERN 7 - BARCELONA 0

tderias
PL Manager
PL Manager

Post by tderias » 17 Mar 2013, 17:28

Red Bull are probably unstoppable in terms of qualy pace, with Ferrari and Lotus having good race pace.

It's still Melbourne. The track is treated as a 'special case' when it comes to setting up the car, so still a long season ahead.

F1EA
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by F1EA » 17 Mar 2013, 17:41

The best surprise is that both Ferraries were matching and catching up to vettel in the first stint... Which was last yrs strenght of the RB.

I think Sutil had a brilliant drive. Even though DiResta finished right behind him. Sutil brought in some goooooood exposure $$ for FI.

The championship looks open, so that's a good thing.

Ferrari92
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Ferrari92 » 17 Mar 2013, 18:49

François
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by François » 17 Mar 2013, 18:58

Nice chart! Did you make that? If not, where did you find it? Thanks.

donald29
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by donald29 » 17 Mar 2013, 19:15

Thinking about Rosberg's retirement, perhaps the odd numbered Mercedes car is cursed. :p

Ferrari92
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Ferrari92 » 17 Mar 2013, 19:28

François wrote:Nice chart! Did you make that? If not, where did you find it? Thanks.
Here you go :O
http://www.vivaf1.com/blog/?p=12854

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 17 Mar 2013, 19:29

I think people called Nico in Australia are cursed!