Other
5%

Total votes: 41

Ferrari92
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Re: 2012 Santander British Grand Prix

Post by Ferrari92 » 08 Jul 2012, 15:49

donald29 wrote:Seems Alonso's strategy could have been based on there being rain later in the race...
But why not make a long first stint ??
15 Laps on hard tyres doesn't make sense.

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 08 Jul 2012, 15:51

Ferrari92 wrote:
donald29 wrote:Seems Alonso's strategy could have been based on there being rain later in the race...
Covering a wet race that never came.

Be rate though, disadvantaged themselves but still finished 3 seconds behind the leader on tyres which just went away on the ferrari. Wouldve thought they would run longer on the harder tyres both stints and try do le old splash and dash at the end. but 2nd is still fantastic when we never expected pole, top 4 i thought would be gotten through luck in the first place.

Either road, 13 points lead still, it will change between webber and vettel, ferrari need to react fast and bring more and more to the car each week.

Green Flag
Donator
Donator

Post by Green Flag » 08 Jul 2012, 15:54

A nice race, well done Webber! I am officially backing Kimi for the WDC but wouldn't be too disappointed if Webber managed it this year. But I am getting way ahead of things here :lol:

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 08 Jul 2012, 15:54

Kimi Räikkönen, P5, E20-05
"I had a pretty okay first few corners but I had to avoid the cars in front and drove over the kerb on the inside of the turn, then I lost a place and was pushed wide. If I had stayed in front of Mark [Webber] at the start it would have been pretty good seeing where he finished, but after that Lewis [Hamilton] also got past me. I fought back and our car was strong, especially on the harder tyres. If I’d had a better start I could have finished much better; but that’s racing and sometimes you pay a bigger price than you expect from the first lap.”
The starts are not going well with Raikkonen. He lost few places in Valencia and now the same. He needs to qualify on the front row to win a race.

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 08 Jul 2012, 16:04

Maldonado got a fine of 10,000 Euro for causing a collision.

@cmckinleyF1: That is Pastor Maldonado's second reprimand of the season. That means if he gets one more this year he will get a 10 place grid penalty.

donald29
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by donald29 » 08 Jul 2012, 16:34

Maldonado slid into Perez by mistake. We've seen drivers get a drive through penalty for that before.

Ferrari92
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Ferrari92 » 08 Jul 2012, 16:48

mikhailv wrote:
Ferrari92 wrote:
Covering a wet race that never came.

Be rate though, disadvantaged themselves but still finished 3 seconds behind the leader on tyres which just went away on the ferrari. Wouldve thought they would run longer on the harder tyres both stints and try do le old splash and dash at the end. but 2nd is still fantastic when we never expected pole, top 4 i thought would be gotten through luck in the first place.

Either road, 13 points lead still, it will change between webber and vettel, ferrari need to react fast and bring more and more to the car each week.
If they covering a wet race they should make a longer first stint.
I rather think they wanted to cover off Webber who pitted a lap earlier

Mar
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Mar » 08 Jul 2012, 16:51

iceman1 wrote:
Kimi Räikkönen, P5, E20-05
"I had a pretty okay first few corners but I had to avoid the cars in front and drove over the kerb on the inside of the turn, then I lost a place and was pushed wide. If I had stayed in front of Mark [Webber] at the start it would have been pretty good seeing where he finished, but after that Lewis [Hamilton] also got past me. I fought back and our car was strong, especially on the harder tyres. If I’d had a better start I could have finished much better; but that’s racing and sometimes you pay a bigger price than you expect from the first lap.”
The starts are not going well with Raikkonen. He lost few places in Valencia and now the same. He needs to qualify on the front row to win a race.
He's been much luckier in other starts, but these last couple have been costly.

I have a rant against Lotus and their biased PR, but I better shut up

donald29
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by donald29 » 08 Jul 2012, 16:59

No go on, I'd like to know what you mean. Biased against Kimi?

Adam
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by Adam » 08 Jul 2012, 17:20

I'm OK with the result today. Alonso didn't win but 2nd is pretty good too for the championship. Webber closed in points to Alonso in the WDC but Alonso widened the gap to Vettel.

Mar
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Mar » 08 Jul 2012, 17:23

donald29 wrote:No go on, I'd like to know what you mean. Biased against Kimi?
:blush:
I just look at the numbers, and I simply don't see what they tell. I try to see it, but I simply don't find it.
More than biased against Kimi, they are so biased pro Romain that the thing turns silly.

It's like in Bahrain. Permane came out to say that the impressive there was Romain because each set of new tyres was worth 7? seconds, what meant Kimi should have finished 14 seconds in front of him just to be as fast, but he forgot to tell that Räikkönen had a lot of cars more to pass to arrive where Grosjean was and that once they were at the same place on track, the two of them were already in used tyres but Räikkönen pulled away. And he blamed Kimi for damaging the front wing of his car, so it was a bit of "this guy is silly". In Barcelona, Grosjean damaged his front wing and the call was that Grosjean was the most impressive because he had almost kept Räikkönen's pace with a damaged front wing. In short: the same thing plays against Kimi but for Romain

Today is a bit of the same thing. As silly as it sounds, the new "incident" of Romain in first lap (Kimi does mistakes and Romain has incidents) ends up being a bless in disguise because he got rid of the soft tyres and got back on track on free air instead of being trapped behind of Schumacher like everybody else. Romain even manages to recover the time he had lost on the nose change and some of the time he had lost relative to Schumi in lap one until the moment Schumi pits for the first time. Once everybody has pitted for the first time, he is, position up or down, in the same place he was before pitting. In other words, Schumacher impressive work keeping everybody behind covers the whole disadvantage Grosjean had with the nose change. And from here on, things are just normal, with his teammate being faster (which could be due to the tyres or not, because Gro did his best lap with only 2 laps to go, the hard Pirellis today looked more than the Bridgestones, the drivers improved their times all along the stints). So basically, he did well, but nothing better than the rest and not better than his teammate, but who was impressive?

I have always defended the guy. I think he is very fast, but I simply don't see in the timings some of the things he's supposed to be doing.

@François: I really try to, but I don't see him that outstanding today as he is being told to have been

donald29
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by donald29 » 08 Jul 2012, 17:31

Fair enough. I think Lotus' victory will come soon, Kimi will win in Hungary. :p

Mar
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Mar » 08 Jul 2012, 17:46

I don't have many hopes about that :( . Temperature should be good for Lotus, but I'm sure the team will screw Räikkönen's qualifying, again. After the diff and the KERS, they still have to brake his DRS down. Of course, the DRS will already be defective in free practice, just like it happened with the diff anf the KERS.

There, there you have another example of the team bias. Permane saying yesterday how impressive Grosjean's pace had been on the hard tyres in FP3. Räikkönen had no KERS at the time, what would have been impressive is Kimi being faster given the circumstances :zz:

Ferrari92
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Ferrari92 » 08 Jul 2012, 17:50

Spa extends until 2015 :)

KevC

Post by KevC » 08 Jul 2012, 18:27

Kamui Kobayashi has been fined 25,000 Euro for his incident in the pits during the British Grand Prix.

The Japanese Sauber driver braked too late when coming in for his second pitstop and knocked down three of his mechanics. None were seriously injured.

The FIA decided to impose a fine on Kobayashi for an "unsafe manoeuvre in the pits".

"The accident was my fault and I want to apologise to the team," said Kobayashi. "Of course I had to push hard for points, but without doubt I braked too late in the pitlane.

"The front wheels locked, I couldn't control the car, and this is how I overshot the pit box. I am terribly sorry this happened, and I hope the three mechanics I hit get well soon."