Other
5%

Total votes: 41

dimitris
kart driver
kart driver

Re: 2012 Santander British Grand Prix

Post by dimitris » 09 Jul 2012, 10:16

Really enjoyed that race, great drive by Webber, just awesome!

Actually I think the best strategy would probably have been hard, hard, soft but with a very short stint on the soft tyres at the end probably less than 10 laps.

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 09 Jul 2012, 11:20

Brilliant. We need more of this :D

donald29
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by donald29 » 09 Jul 2012, 11:45

Found that unexpectedly good! As someone said on Sky, who'd have thought a few years ago McLaren would be the team to make a cartoon?!

'Here we have an original Nigel Mansell moustache from the 1995 season.' :lol:

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 09 Jul 2012, 11:57

donald29 wrote:Found that unexpectedly good! As someone said on Sky, who'd have thought a few years ago McLaren would be the team to make a cartoon?!

I read that Ron Dennis was the man behind this idea :cool:

He just wants to switch the attention from the pitstops to the cartoons :lol:

Raikkonen scored his 37th fastest lap. He is third in the all-time list :cool:

sportingcp
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by sportingcp » 09 Jul 2012, 12:08

Entertained race but still the less interesting so far and that says a lot about this great season. Good drive from Webber at some point I thought Alonso was completely dominating but I got surprised with the end. Disaster for McLaren.

We´re more or less in the middle of the season and we have, by looking at the world championship standings, more or less a good picture of the hierarchy and what will happen from now on.

The best driver in Sunday was Grosjean. Maybe not everyone noticed how great was the race he made, but it was really impressive he had to do a early stop and after that was more than 30 seconds behind the 1st. He finished 17 seconds behind Webber, and clearly in front of, for example, Lewis who didn´t had any problem.

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 09 Jul 2012, 12:17

sportingcp wrote: The best driver in Sunday was Grosjean. Maybe not everyone noticed how great was the race he made, but it was really impressive he had to do a early stop and after that was more than 30 seconds behind the 1st. He finished 17 seconds behind Webber, and clearly in front of, for example, Lewis who didn´t had any problem.
I don't think Mar will agree with you :p

There were 48 overtakes only. Grosjean did 8 but I don't remember we saw all of them or any of them on the world feed. I'll see the highlights of the Onboard race later.

The good thing in Lotus: Both drivers are scoring points. Raikkonen and Lotus moved one place in the championships :thumbsup:

I remember Paul Hembrey said few weeks ago, that fans won't blame the tyres after Silverstone because teams would manage to understand them in a better way.

Mar
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Mar » 09 Jul 2012, 12:24

:lol: Thanks Iceman! :thumbsup:
EDIT: I'm talking about the McLaren cartoon :blush:
sportingcp wrote: The best driver in Sunday was Grosjean. Maybe not everyone noticed how great was the race he made, but it was really impressive he had to do a early stop and after that was more than 30 seconds behind the 1st. He finished 17 seconds behind Webber, and clearly in front of, for example, Lewis who didn´t had any problem.
Those 30 seconds are without correcting with the extra pit-stop all the other drivers had to do. It's equivalent to saying that Räikkönen was 31.7 behind the first in lap 15 but finished 10.3 seconds behind Webber, or that Vettel was 24 seconds behind the first in lap 13 and ended up 4 seconds behind Webber.

PS. I know it's the Autosport plus guys who came out with those numbers, but they need some urgent maths classes

sportingcp
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by sportingcp » 09 Jul 2012, 13:55

I´ve missed the other post :p. By looking at the time and positions Grosjean won only in 10/15 laps i had the impression he was doing really, really an incredible job, but looking at Mar´s post I admit there is a point, and Romain managed in some way to essentialy take some advantages because of the Schumacher train. So maybe it was not that good, but still was impressive (again look at how he got rid of Button and Rosberg, if i´m not mistaken, next Hamilton and then opening the gap easily). He had the tyres advantage but Lewis also add in that part.

Kimi also did a good race and if he wasn´t behind some other cars, that cost him some time, he could have reached a podium. Lotus have two very good drivers, there were doubts about Kimi because of his 2 years of absence and Grosjean had to prove a lot but they are showing their quality doing a very good job.

Mar
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Mar » 09 Jul 2012, 14:03

I think we agree pretty much there :)

And the thing with the McLarens is beginning to be more than worrying. I think I give up :<>:

donald29
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by donald29 » 09 Jul 2012, 14:12

iceman1 wrote:
donald29 wrote:Found that unexpectedly good! As someone said on Sky, who'd have thought a few years ago McLaren would be the team to make a cartoon?!

I read that Ron Dennis was the man behind this idea :cool:
He said he wants to make 'brand McLaren a little warmer' with an animation with humour.

Ether
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Ether » 10 Jul 2012, 01:48

Okay now, after this disappointing race for Mclaren, I don't think Lewis is comfortable there by now.. He should make a move. For me, I think Mclaren has thrown away all the championship title contender, for drivers and constructors.. That car is a disaster! Look at how far they left behind... Struggling since qualifying, and even more struggling in a race.

The time I watched Lewis overtook by Schumi is very clear that the car doesn't have the pace at all (I don't mean to discreet schumi, but I thought that Mclaren car was quicker than mercedes'). This weekend, Mclaren is a complete joke in front of their own supporters.

Zack
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Post by Zack » 10 Jul 2012, 06:40

sportingcp wrote:I´ve missed the other post :p. By looking at the time and positions Grosjean won only in 10/15 laps i had the impression he was doing really, really an incredible job, but looking at Mar´s post I admit there is a point, and Romain managed in some way to essentialy take some advantages because of the Schumacher train. So maybe it was not that good, but still was impressive (again look at how he got rid of Button and Rosberg, if i´m not mistaken, next Hamilton and then opening the gap easily). He had the tyres advantage but Lewis also add in that part.

Kimi also did a good race and if he wasn´t behind some other cars, that cost him some time, he could have reached a podium. Lotus have two very good drivers, there were doubts about Kimi because of his 2 years of absence and Grosjean had to prove a lot but they are showing their quality doing a very good job.
To be honest it seems Lotus does have 'Win' capable car but both driver are never able to do it. :p Give the credit when it is deserved ;) .. I would still put Grosjean ahead of many for this race for great Recovery and Tyre management.

Any video of Grosjean and Paul di Resta incident ?

François
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by François » 10 Jul 2012, 16:27

There's an onboard replay from Grosjean's perspective on the BBC coverage (a bit later than the other start replays).

You don't see much because it's almost a non-incident, really. Grosjean pushed wide by Button in T4, the two FI cars get by and di Resta moves across in front of Romain a tad too early, resulting in very slight contact. Could've been avoided by either but really an easy mistake to make by Paul in the middle of the pack. A shame that the consequences had to be so dramatic.

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 11 Jul 2012, 17:29

Hi guys, I moved the posts related to Lotus to the dedicated thread of the team.

You can find it here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7228

This topic will become inactive when the German GP starts, so it's better to keep the discussion alive in the right topic.

Sorry if you didn't like that move :p

MM_SCHUMI
car driver
car driver

Post by MM_SCHUMI » 11 Jul 2012, 18:45

I think Alonso will win the title. But Vettel will run him close and make mistakes and hand it to Alonso i think.