13%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 39

phil1993

Re: Grand Prix du Canada 2012

Post by phil1993 » 11 Jun 2012, 20:20

Talking about this on another forum.

I'd prefer F1 to utilise the FR3.5 DRS - each driver gets 15 minutes worth of DRS per 45 minute race in FR3.5. That would allow the attacking and defending driver to use the DRS strategically.

Treacle
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Treacle » 11 Jun 2012, 20:22

Yeah, that would be more fair.
I believe they said that the DRS is for the fans, because that way we can see more overtakes. Which is ture, but they worth much less in my eyes. And I hardly know anyone who thinks DRS is a great thing...
"Right now I'm having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before."

donald29
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by donald29 » 11 Jun 2012, 22:47

I agree Phil. I said the same about KERS back in 09.

There was one race where I thought 'DRS is awesome.' It was last year's Belgian Grand Prix, and it was because I was there. :p Standing on the Kemmel Straight seeing side by side action was great. Having the cars in front of you instead of on the TV, you did not feel DRS was artificial, too powerful or a bad thing!

Ether
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Ether » 12 Jun 2012, 05:05

Well I don't know what to comment about DRS, but I must say that some of it were right, and some were wrong. Surely which is wrong was Kobayashi retaking position from schumacher pass using DRS. But some of DRS I think might be right... For example what if front runners after pits or accident has to pit and back to race in midfield, then if the circuit is hard or not easy to overtake (by the fact also driver can put the car to block the road which is not wide enough), then the front runner will be stuck, and that will be annoying to see a faster car, faster driver, stuck behind a car that drives defensively. For that I think DRS for me is the right way to solve..

Besides, driver still has KERS, which is a very good tool to be used as defensive situation.. Like we see back in 2009 while Mclaren and Ferrari can stuck cars faster like RBR and BrawnGP. So DRS and Kers actually i think quite fair.. But something is still not quite perfect as we see some illegal pass like Kob and Schumi back then...

The whole thing about losing the sense of racing I think myself is also agree with that.. I hate pirelli now, i think bridgestone may give us better show, because f1 is about driving a fast car.. Not about being 'green' saving tyres or fuel.. I just hate it.

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 12 Jun 2012, 17:46

Personally, DRS should be banned in Qualifying except for the places in the race.

If you think, every straight certain cars are gaining more than others because of DRS or DDRS, as opposed to how fast and capable the car actually is. Think about Spa; Kemmel is blitzed on the limiter in no time with DRS AND KERS, so a more powerful engine, is made, even moar powerfuls.

Treacle
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Treacle » 12 Jun 2012, 19:02

Ether wrote:Well I don't know what to comment about DRS, but I must say that some of it were right, and some were wrong. Surely which is wrong was Kobayashi retaking position from schumacher pass using DRS. But some of DRS I think might be right... For example what if front runners after pits or accident has to pit and back to race in midfield, then if the circuit is hard or not easy to overtake (by the fact also driver can put the car to block the road which is not wide enough), then the front runner will be stuck, and that will be annoying to see a faster car, faster driver, stuck behind a car that drives defensively. For that I think DRS for me is the right way to solve..
Well, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I don't agree. Findig the best strategy (which includes the pitting) is part of the sport - actually quite a huge part of it. So if the team messes up, why should the front runners have an advantage? If they can't overtake by pure talent (and with the better car, I might add) - then do they really deserve to be called the bests? Accidents are also part of the racing, always has been and always will be. Also, I think that without DRS we might see a bit more of the quality of the driver... But DRS and the new rules are basically making defending impossible, and with the DRS the attacker just has to wait for the zone.
Anyways, I just think that the drivers managed just fine without the DRS before, and they would do just fine without now... But that is my opinion.
"Right now I'm having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before."

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 12 Jun 2012, 19:05

I just love the DRS Zone. It reminds me of the name of this forum. F1 Zone :lol:

Treacle
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Treacle » 12 Jun 2012, 19:19

iceman1 wrote:I just love the DRS Zone. It reminds me of the name of this forum. F1 Zone :lol:
So much win! :D Now every time I hear DRS zone, I'm going to think about this site. :D

Eric_Cartman
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Eric_Cartman » 12 Jun 2012, 21:16

mikhailv wrote:Personally, DRS should be banned in Qualifying except for the places in the race.
Without DRS in qualifying, the cars will hit the rev limiter much earlier because of a shorter gear ratio and DRS wouldn't help at all in the race.
FC BAYERN 7 - BARCELONA 0

mileso
Donator
Donator

Post by mileso » 13 Jun 2012, 22:26

There's nothing wrong with DRS as it stands. Let it go the season, then we can make a judgement. It is being adjusted every race from last years setup. Allowing it anywhere on the course any time during the race will lead to tragedy. Idiots like Moldanado will use it to ram someone somewhere and if it malfunctions as Schumacher's did last race we got to see how undriveable the car was. As it stands now it can only be deployed at a certain spot and under verifiable conditions. That makes it a level playing field.

Zack
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Post by Zack » 14 Jun 2012, 06:01

Treacle wrote:
iceman1 wrote:I just love the DRS Zone. It reminds me of the name of this forum. F1 Zone :lol:
So much win! :D Now every time I hear DRS zone, I'm going to think about this site. :D
:lol:

Best Option (imo): Use DRS at your will, anytime, anywhere. Drivers have strategic power of KERS.

SpliT
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by SpliT » 14 Jun 2012, 11:35

Zack wrote:Best Option (imo): Use DRS at your will, anytime, anywhere. Drivers have strategic power of KERS.
More downforce = more DRS time. Differences between the teams will be bigger.