Post by phil1993 » 28 May 2012, 08:46

Right, here you go, the Monaco Grand Prix review
http://www.f1zone.net/news/webber-gives ... sis/14212/

joebravo
car driver
car driver

Re: Grand Prix de Monaco 2012

Post by joebravo » 28 May 2012, 08:50

This year monaco utterly boring,compare to the last year much better IMO...after teams learn about 1 pit stop strategy in pirelli tyres,everything becomes dull.. i hope canada gp bring more excitement from last year performance..

reppo
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by reppo » 28 May 2012, 10:35

http://www.ts.fi/moottoriurheilu/f1/351 ... acon+tulos (in Finnish)
Kovalainen got millions of euros result in Monaco
F1 | Turun Sanomat 3:27

Caterham F1 team owner Tony Fernandes climbed to team's room throughout wet, when the rain shower, predicted to spice Monaco Grand Prix, had flushed the pit crew only a moment earlier, when the checkered flag was swayed.

Fernandes could as well have been in a shampagne bath - so happy he was.

When Heikki Kovalainen in Caterham's car, witnessed by hundreds of millions of TV viewers, kept Jenson Button's McLaren behind him, Fernandes certainly felt the same pleasure as if his Queens Park Rangers would have beaten Manchester United in English League.

Kovalainen fought by Finnish guts with no grip in tyres or brakes to keep his CT01 car in 13th position to the finish - and thus raised Caterham to top ten in the manufacturers championship.

The ten best teams shares, according Concorde Agreement, the jackpot collected by Bernie Ecclestone's companies, so only Fernandes really realized how important the result is.

In particular, Kovalainen's performance is underlined by fine-driving, when the Finnish driver kept total of 57 laps Button's McLaren behind him.

McLaren is known as ruler of Monaco, who always has built a strong car for this track. Now Kovalainen was able to tame it by Caterham.

And how did Fernandes feel to follow the fight of Kovalainen and Button in narrow street track?

- Utterly great. It was the best feeling what I have experienced in these three years in auto racing. Heikki controlled it and did it fantastically strongly, Fernandes admitted to Turun Sanomat.

Button eventually spun off from mirrors of Kovalainen, after trying to pass him in the first corner. McLaren hit Caterham and broke Kovalainen's front wing. In the same place Kovalainen had a fight with Sauber's Sergio Perez and because of it the duo ended up in front of the jury after the race.

Refreshing pressure race

Kovalainen enjoyed the race completely. At the end the rain sprinkled so much that dimly visible 11th position escaped to unreachable, when the grip was lost totally.

- It's a long time since it was fun to drive. Now I really had to sharpen up, when a single error could not be done. It went pretty well. In such place we drive, when our car cannot get any higher. The weekend went well, a good qualification lap and then in the race I was at best in the queue, which was led by Kimi Raikkonen at the middle of the race.

Did the battle with Button give the same best feeling in three years as it did to Fernandes?

- Here I have no problems to keep anyone behind. The position on that track is so important. When I got ahead of Button, I knew that he can not pass, if I make no mistakes. When you have kers to help, in the tunnel and the last corner to the staraigt you get enough speed, that it is not possible to pass.

Tyres requires more heat

Tyre temperatures are the key factor in modern formula. Now soft tyres, which was the harder compound, were difficult to get to work, when the track temperature first drop and then it also started raining.

- The working window for these tyres is very small anyway, and in addition, the temperature factor is a little higher when they need to be warmer than last year. Here, super-soft's temperature could not drop below 70 degrees, or you were immediately in trouble. My engineer told me to push full all time just to keep the temperature at the limit.

- When it started to rain, the grip at the front was just totally lost. The temperature dropped from what it should be and at the same time brakes started to cool. Then I was forced to take corners more lightly, and it becomes a loop, from which you no longer can break out.

- When the tyre stops working, nothing can be done. Everyone gets completely against the wall, no matter how good the car is. The rest was struggle for survival, and therefore I lost a couple of places.

No more trouble with the jury.

- The jury member Nigel Mansell was in the same line with me and noted immediately knowing the situation, that in that place it was impossible for Perez to pass, Kovalainen said, when the crash was recarded as normal race incident.

Turun Sanomat, Monte Carlo

HEIKKI KULTA
So for Fernandes this was even better than winning his bet with Branson. Wonder if he ever reclaimed the price :lol:

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 28 May 2012, 10:55

phil1993 wrote:
donald29 wrote:That's a brilliant photo of the landing impact.
It's like when F1 2011 disc is put into your console and played
Fixed that for ya Phil :lol:

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 28 May 2012, 11:23

reppo
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by reppo » 28 May 2012, 11:55

http://www.ts.fi/moottoriurheilu/f1/351 ... aispisteet (in Finnish)
Raikkonen scratching leftovers
F1 | Turun Sanomat 05/27/2012 23:39

For the fourth year in a row the driver starting from the pole, won Monaco Grand Prix race. Mark Webber did the trick for the second time in three years.

The win was Red Bull's third consecutive victory of Monaco - and for the reason alongside with Webber, manufacturer's trophy was received by the winner car's designer Adrian Newey.

From Finnish point of view, on GP eve's mood, Kimi Räikkönen was waited on this podium too, but the weekend went from start to end on minor tone.

From too sensitive steering in Thursday morning's practice started problems culminated in the race on hard problems with the grip, which left, throughout the beginning of the season shined, Lotus look very uncompetitive.

Raikkonen had to work hard to scratch the ninth place in Monaco, and two championship points. In championship Raikkonen dropped from fourth place to sixth.

After the eighth place in qualification it was already clear that fanfares shall not cland, at least not the Finnish national anthem after the race.

No reason for tragic!

How does two points feel? You'll hardly remember this Monaco warmly?

- Now this is just one among many. Sometimes it goes well, sometimes not. The world does not fall because of this. Why do you try to make it such a tragedy with questions like that? There's not much opportunity to do anything when you start the race from bad place. You already know youself, that you will not get anywhere from that place, unless you have a really shocking luck, Raikkonen said.

Was the car on this track less competitive compared to the earlier races?

- It has been stronger in earlier races when compared to the top, but if you get stuck to traffic in Monaco, it rapidly appears to look rather bad, but it does not give a true picture of the car.

It is easy to condemn the tactics of Lotus, when Räikkönen's pit stop was made too late while tyres had stopped working.

- At the beginning the car was good and faster than cars ahead. Then, just before the planned pit stop it started to rain, and I continued, because if after changing to harder tyres it would have, after couple of laps, started raining harder, the race would have gone very wrong.

The error of Perez cost a place

Raikkonen lost a position at start when Sauber's Sergio Perez put Lotus into braking test.

- Perez was driving quite normally until to the pit, when I was there on the inside and I had to brake hard, that he would not have pushed me. He probably didn't realize that I was there. In any case, it cost me a place when Force India got past.

Perez received a drive through penalty for his trick.

Romain Grosjean fell from the game early in the start, when Fernando Alonso pushed him to the left, where Lotus collided with Michael Schumacher's Mercedes. So Ferrari catched Lotus in the manufacturers championship. Both have 86 points.

Nico Rosberg improved his previous Monaco record from 2009 sixth place to second place. So it was Mercedes' German driver's seventh time in his career on the podium.

Fernando Alonso rose to championship lead after getting third podium position of the season in Ferrari, above all by leaving Sebastian Vettel behind him to fourth.

Turun Sanomat, Monte Carlo

HEIKKI KULTA

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 28 May 2012, 12:04

Nigel Roebuck, one of the legendary F1 journalists, always writes brilliant and articulate race reviews
http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/f1/re ... ix-report/

I can't help but feel that he makes a very good point in the final paragraph.

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 28 May 2012, 12:17

phil1993 wrote:Nigel Roebuck, one of the legendary F1 journalists, always writes brilliant and articulate race reviews

I think the problem with Monaco is, you never get overtaking anyway.

If you think, It was tense watching Vettel/Alonso/Button last year. But then look at lewis; overtaking he took out maldanado, hit Schuey, and took massa out nearly. Regardless of driving or anything, lewis tried and just couldnt because its not possible unless you have a massive advantage. Even then, if your Jenson, you wont get by.

Yesterday we had 6 drivers in contention. Now, would any of them brave an overtake or to push massively? Would we not still have the same positions? How would Rosberg get past webber without a mistake or contact? How would Alonso get past rosberg, or Vettel past alonso, hamilton past vettel, Massa past hamilton? Monaco has always been a pit stop race, the tyres meant the drivers couldnt push, but then how many times have we seen drivers with tyres that CAN push, but CANT because theyre stuck behind a slower car anyway?

Cast your minds back to Monaco 2008. Alonso made the first switch to full wets. Fastest man on track by miles. He couldnt get past Heidfeld. At all. Even though he would be 5-8 seconds quicker, look what happened;

He had corner entry and exit speed higher, he was higher on getting the power down and top speed. But he couldnt get past no matter what, and in desperate attempt, collided. Its the track. Regardless of tyres.

Cast your mind back to 2009; Bridgestones tyres were destroyed after 8 laps on vettels car, and nobody could pass him even though he was a sitting duck. Same story with Raikkonen in this years race. Its the track.

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 28 May 2012, 13:12

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 28 May 2012, 16:37

reppo
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by reppo » 28 May 2012, 19:06

So Romain messed up with gas pedal says Allison
http://www.lotusf1team.com/Silver-Linin ... ed-in.html
SILVER LININGS – WHAT WE LEARNED IN MONACO [BLOG + PICTURES]

Monaco may not have brought the level of results the team has become accustomed to this season, but every race brings valuable lessons to be learned, and our 500th Grand Prix was no exception

It goes without saying that success in Formula 1 – in fact in any sport – demands not just commitment, but a competitive edge; the unquenchable desire to be the best.

Without doubt, this is something which runs deep in the veins of the Enstone family. Despite an exhausting week full of ups and downs – and unfortunately on this occasion more of the latter – the atmosphere among the team on Sunday evening was one of determination rather than resignation.

THE DRIVERS…
Kimi demonstrated his fighting spirit in an intense battle with Michael Schumacher during the early stages of the race. Any questions as to his levels of motivation and will to win must now surely be answered after a dogged scrap for what were essentially minor points by the Finn’s standards.
On the flip side, the Finn’s struggles throughout the weekend highlighted the importance of getting the E20 steering system exactly as he likes it, whilst also underlining the fact that even an experienced challenger – and former World Champion of course – can be affected by missing running time at such a technical circuit as Monaco.
Romain demonstrated not just his ability behind the wheel, but also his self-belief by immediately putting the E20 towards the sharp end of the field during practice and qualifying. For his first Monaco Grand Prix, the Frenchman certainly showed no signs of nerves.
Unfortunately however, the Frenchman’s misjudgement of the launch procedure at the start of the race – which ultimately lead to his retirement – can perhaps be seen as a reminder that the young Frenchman still has a bit to learn during what is effectively his rookie season in the sport.

THE CAR…
Despite uncertainty as to how the car would perform at a lower speed track such as Monaco, Romain’s pace during the initial phase of the weekend illustrated once again that the E20 can compete in the upper reaches of the pack at another, very different type of circuit.
Conversely, the tyres had their part to play. Once their lifetime is run, the super soft compound seem to go further than merely ‘falling off the cliff’, they dive head first from it. The soft compound also proved to be a temperamental ally, with traffic and cooling track conditions in the latter stages of the race making it tricky to maintain the correct temperature in the rubber.

Wrapping up on a positive note, both Kimi and James Allison pointed out yesterday evening that to come away with three points – and also maintain third position in the Constructor’s standings – after our least encouraging weekend of the season so far shows how far the team has come this year. Canada next; onwards and upwards…

mileso
Donator
Donator

Post by mileso » 28 May 2012, 20:24

You mean where Alonso was keeping a 2-3 second gap to Hamilton infront so he didnt get dirty air destroying his tyres, controlling the gap and making sure his pace was enough not be caught in traffic on a track where you cant overtake the car ahead, which means you wont be able to overtaken. And then after 20 laps of tyre saving, being the fastest man on track for 10-12 laps after using your brain and saving tyres, having an in lap which was what, 2 seconds faster than Hamilton and leaving Massa for dust?

Yeah, course he was being out driven. Seriously, were you watching the race?[/quote]

And how would letting Massa pass have affected this "strategy"? Sorry but hindsight and rationalizing doesn't change the facts.

KevC

Post by KevC » 28 May 2012, 21:38

Start from Di Resta's helmet cam

Vorull
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Vorull » 28 May 2012, 23:27

mikhailv wrote:
phil1993 wrote:Nigel Roebuck, one of the legendary F1 journalists, always writes brilliant and articulate race reviews

I think the problem with Monaco is, you never get overtaking anyway.

If you think, It was tense watching Vettel/Alonso/Button last year. But then look at lewis; overtaking he took out maldanado, hit Schuey, and took massa out nearly. Regardless of driving or anything, lewis tried and just couldnt because its not possible unless you have a massive advantage. Even then, if your Jenson, you wont get by.

Yesterday we had 6 drivers in contention. Now, would any of them brave an overtake or to push massively? Would we not still have the same positions? How would Rosberg get past webber without a mistake or contact? How would Alonso get past rosberg, or Vettel past alonso, hamilton past vettel, Massa past hamilton? Monaco has always been a pit stop race, the tyres meant the drivers couldnt push, but then how many times have we seen drivers with tyres that CAN push, but CANT because theyre stuck behind a slower car anyway?

Cast your minds back to Monaco 2008. Alonso made the first switch to full wets. Fastest man on track by miles. He couldnt get past Heidfeld. At all. Even though he would be 5-8 seconds quicker, look what happened;

He had corner entry and exit speed higher, he was higher on getting the power down and top speed. But he couldnt get past no matter what, and in desperate attempt, collided. Its the track. Regardless of tyres.

Cast your mind back to 2009; Bridgestones tyres were destroyed after 8 laps on vettels car, and nobody could pass him even though he was a sitting duck. Same story with Raikkonen in this years race. Its the track.
You are correct, but there were some exceptions, and those were pretty awesome. Like this one for example, one of my favorites:

You have to note that Alonso had "slicks" at that moment. Here are some more:
http://wtf1.co.uk/lesson-time-how-to-ov ... at-monaco/

François
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by François » 29 May 2012, 04:52

Nice page, Vorull!

I just love Panis's overtake on Irvine at Loews hairpin in 1996. Basically a masterclass on how to deal with a prick in one swift move. Too bad that probably wouldn't be acceptable by modern standards anymore!