Other
7%

Total votes: 56

phil1993

Re: Grand Prix de Monaco 2012

Post by phil1993 » 17 May 2012, 14:32

She won't.

Sorry, he. HE. :lol:

(I have to stay on his good side if I want to go to Silverstone :p)

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 17 May 2012, 14:48

iceT wrote:
zoefrances wrote:going on the past 5 races, I think that kimi will win the monaco gp. he has been looking so strong in the last few races
I certainly hope so too!! But don't the weather and temperatures factor heavily on the Lotus' perfomances ? Any idea what the outlook is for the race weekend ?

This is my first post here. Mainly been an observer for the past few years!
P/S: I always thought iceman1 a female until the photo posted during the Bahrain GP. :) Even so, for a fleeting moment, I thought it was the woman next to the guy!! :lol:
Hello and Welcome to the forum :wave:

It's OK, don't worry :)

My friend tested the new simulator of Lotus and told me the traction is incredible. He thinks Lotus can win this if they manage to set a good strategy.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 17 May 2012, 14:54

I think it'll be like in 2011. Varying strategies mean we're going to get a huge traffic jam at some point. I mean, in China we had about ten seconds between 2nd and 14th at one point. Imagine that in Monte Carlo! Well, last year we had Sutil, Maldonado, Petrov, Alguersuari and Hamilton in a five car train. That ended well, didn't it..? :p

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Ali » 17 May 2012, 16:31

There is an interesting pattern in terms of gap between drivers at the end of races. The first three races saw the top 10 separated within 40-50 seconds on average, which is pretty close to me, but in Bahrain, Schumacher in 10th was 1 min behind the leader and in Spain, Hülkenberg was a lap down in 10th (There were 50 seconds difference between 4th place Grosjean and 5th place Kobayashi alone).

We always say how close the grid is, but Spain drew a different picture given that all drivers bar Hamilton did a 3-stop race. I am not sure whether that translates into something which we could cypher, but that's the way it is now. Strange, bizarre and unorthodox racing.
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it by not dying" -Woody Allen

Mar
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Mar » 17 May 2012, 17:33

François wrote:
Edi96 wrote:Grosjean's special helmet for Monaco
Is it a stronger one just in case this happens to him again? :p
Thanks for the link! I could remember Grosjean had had some spectacular stunt in Monaco in the past but I could not remember what and when it had happened, the thing has been bugging me for days :lol:

BTW, pretty good example of the dangers of waiving while defending position.

François
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by François » 17 May 2012, 18:15

Mar wrote:
François wrote:
Edi96 wrote:Grosjean's special helmet for Monaco
Is it a stronger one just in case this happens to him again? :p
Thanks for the link! I could remember Grosjean had had some spectacular stunt in Monaco in the past but I could not remember what and when it had happened, the thing has been bugging me for days :lol:

BTW, pretty good example of the dangers of waiving while defending position.
Yup. And the dangers of racing in Monaco, where overtaking is so hard that you've gotta go for the slightest opening if you want to make any progress. But that's part of what makes the racing there so thrilling. :)

And you're welcome!

Ether
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Ether » 18 May 2012, 05:08

Ali wrote:Tight and twitchy Sector 3 of Barcelona circuit should give us a picture as to who might be fast in Monaco. In the race, Lotus' were fastest through there with Grosjean first and Raikkonen second. Interesting to note that Button and Hamilton were way down the order with some 0,8s sllower than Lotus' drivers, atlhough in qualifying Hamilton was second quickest there with Maldona second. I am not sure how we should read into that.
I think it's quite an important analysis but that won't simply decide tht mclaren is slower than lotus in Monaco. It's particularly a matter of setting of the car, the additional front and rear wings specially for Monaco, so I think we will see a very close battle between Mclaren and Lotus. Mclaren so far has showed up to be the car to beat, being strong in almost all circuit (except Bahrain which seems costs huge performance for Mercedes engined cars there).

As long as Mclaren not doing silly mistakes anymore, I think Lewis will easily win it this time, he has proved so much performance this year, consistency, which for the first few races I feel it was quite stupid but right now I must say he has becoming more and more mature and get very close to Alonso class with his young age. He always shows all he got and being realistic and confident and calm on every race this year, and put the highest performance possible for the car without taking too many risks like he was usually did before... So it's all about the team now, not Hamilton.

As for Kimi, he has some issue too with Lotus, I think lotus does sometimes make silly mistakes, not getting the right strategy and yet still has to prove worthy of a champion team... So, it will be very interesting Hamilton vs Kimi...

Come on Hammy, I've voted you for 6th times now, and I think this time my vote will be the correct one hahahaha...

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 18 May 2012, 11:51

To be honest, Lotus only come alive at the end of the race. Lewis will make the difference in Monaco, and will most likely get pole, but the problem is, race pace has been all but disastrous in comparison to quali pace, ontop of crucial mistakes.

The car is miles better in Quali trim than Race trim, I dare say thats a fact. And it appears the 'mclaren best developers through a season' myth is a load of c**p (which i've always said) because as of yet, theyre backwards. Redbull, mercedes, Ferrari and lotus have clawed alot back on them. Could that be the result of design choices like a very low chassis, sort of like Newey's redbull design; is been evolved to its almost maximum possible.

Ferrariman60
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Ferrariman60 » 18 May 2012, 14:53

mikhailv wrote:To be honest, Lotus only come alive at the end of the race. Lewis will make the difference in Monaco, and will most likely get pole, but the problem is, race pace has been all but disastrous in comparison to quali pace, ontop of crucial mistakes.

The car is miles better in Quali trim than Race trim, I dare say thats a fact. And it appears the 'mclaren best developers through a season' myth is a load of c**p (which i've always said) because as of yet, theyre backwards. Redbull, mercedes, Ferrari and lotus have clawed alot back on them. Could that be the result of design choices like a very low chassis, sort of like Newey's redbull design; is been evolved to its almost maximum possible.
I think McLaren are just a bit lost at the moment. Ever since Ron Dennis sort of left the scene they haven't been quite the same team. Dennis' obsessive-compulsive nature brought the team into a mentality of achieving beyond perfection and it showed. Nowadays, they make the sort of fundamental errors that they simply didn't commit even only 5 years ago. As for their ability to develop cars, I'm not sure that they've lost that, but it is a McLaren hallmark to be quite inconsistent in their cars' competitiveness year to year. They were incredibly dominant in the late '80's and early '90's, but couldn't challenge for the championship again until 1998, and after 1999, they couldn't get anywhere near a strong contention position until 2005! Even thereafter, 2006 was a disaster, we all know what happened in 2007 (although they would have won the WCC), 2008 should have been a WCC win as well but both drivers were too inconsistent, and the beginning of 2009 was a farce. However, as terrible as the MP4/24 was, by mid-season, it was a race winner and remained competitive thereafter. That's why I can't write McLaren off quite yet. Unlike 2004 for example, their car has shown real pace in the early part of the season and their development abilities should keep it that way.
Requiescat in pace, Jules Bianchi

Ferrariman60

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 18 May 2012, 16:14

http://www.f1zone.net/news/drs-ban-to-remain-in-force-throughout-monaco-tunnel-in-2012/14027/ wrote:Drivers’ will once again be banned from using the DRS device throughout the tunnel during this years Monaco Grand Prix, after its use was banned in similar fashion last year.
I think it's the right decision regarding what happened to Perez/Rosberg last year.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 18 May 2012, 16:30

Disagree. Let them use DRS. Last year's problem was due to the bump.

donald29
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by donald29 » 18 May 2012, 23:49

Perez would have been going faster at the time of his crash though, assuming he'd got through the tunnel.

I remember one driver saying trying to use DRS in the tunnel would be suicide as you'd just end up in the wall.

donald29
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by donald29 » 19 May 2012, 12:12

They just showed some clips from the 2003 race. Had forgotten about that one, with Montoya, Kimi and Schumacher so close at the finish. Need to hunt that race down and watch it. :p

sportingcp
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by sportingcp » 19 May 2012, 17:12

I have a feeling that Kobayashi can win this race :p. I mean at least there is a possibility for that to happen Sauber is doing great and he is agressive and that is important in a track like Monaco to make a difference. If there is a guy that can a risk a difficult pass in Monaco that guy is Kamui. Also, last year he was 5th, so who knows?

Well apart from this "feeling" I have to say i don´t have any idea what will happen, who will be stronger. The only thing I´m almost sure is that the qualification will be really important. But I think any driver from every team at the Top 7 of the constructrors can win here (except maybe Michael because of the penalty, but who knows if it rains or something, and Ferrari that only have one driver).

If I have to do a prediction for the next races, and supposing that we will have a new winner every race (with the current car levels and specifications for each track) it would be something like this: Monaco - Kobayashi, Canada - Raikkonen, Great Britain - Hamilton, Germany - Grosjean, Hungary - Webber, Belgium - Schumacher (skipped Valência don´t have a "new winner" prediction for that race). Seems legit, right? :p

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 19 May 2012, 17:15

Maybe Felipe Massa will win?
Spoiler: