F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Re: 2012 Petronas Malaysia Grand Prix

Post by reppo » 28 Mar 2012, 09:43

Mika Salo's thoughts
http://blogit.mtv3.fi/f1salonsilmin/201 ... alonsolta/
A great drive from Alonso

Published on 28/03/2012

At the beginning of the race it was raining again so much water that it did not make any sense. This time of the year it rains every afternoon in Malaysia, so it is absurd to have a race in the late afternoon. When it rains, it rains like ****. Thus, the competition should be held earlier in the day. The electricity of booth and air conditioning went off, with the result that we could not even see out when it was so foggy in the booth. And we could not step anywhere because of being afraid of electricity on the floors.

I waited for McLaren to win just like that, but right from the start it looked different. There is probably no one on earth who would have believed that at the end of the race the first two are Alonso and Perez.

I was left annoyed because Perez made a small error, which came at the wrong place. In the press, it was said to be Ferrari's order that Perez cannot pass, but in reality, Sauber was fighting for the victory every bit as hard as a Ferrari. Perez drove wide on one corner and that was it. Perez caught Alonso, but Alonso as an experienced driver is hard to pass so easily. For Ferrari this was the only chance to win for a long time, so he will take the win, when it is offered. It was really nice and totally flawless drive for Alonso, especially after Ferrari had been bashed so low.

Sauber has been fast since the winter tests. This result gives Perez self-confidence, so I think that they should do just fine in other races. All the teams have now three weeks to make changes to cars. I include Sauber into the same rank as Lotus, so that I do not think their pace of development is at the same level as Ferrari, McLaren and Red Bull.

While watching Massa's driving over the weekend, so yes Ferrari should do something quickly. A team at that level cannot race only one car. Massa has with the new car even greater problems than Alonso and he also makes stupid mistakes. At one point at the race Massa raced with Petrov. Then cars behind came more rapidly, and Massa started to block them. He lost several seconds to Petrov when he was concentrating into his mirrors. Driving like that is not racing but wriggling by force.

Red Bull was just a disaster. I think Vettel's accident was his own fault and not Karthikeyan's. Vettel came back to the racing line too early and hit the HRT's front wing.

Lotus will continue to look real fast. According the team Kimi's lap times would not have been quite enough for pole, but with a flawless lap, he would have been second in qualification. When they get one weekend to go smoothly without any problems, I think the result will be good. Kovalainen's car on the other hand looks bad on the track and lap times are bad. Something big has to happen, if Caterham is going to get points in this year.

I was in training for a judge this the weekend . I am in the jury in Valencia race. It is quite nice experience to see the things on that side too. Then I have seen formula one from three angles: as a driver, at the media side, and then from organizer's side.
It must really been foggy in Mika's booth since he didn't see Karthikeyan and Vettel incident. As I see it Vettel was already past Karthikeyan and it was Narain who changed the line too early. Vettel wasn't making any sudden line changes and as he was past he could anyway keep his line. Or has the rules changed or maybe I'm blind :roll:: I hope judges do not sit in a foggy booth ''hmm''

JoostLamers
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Post by JoostLamers » 28 Mar 2012, 10:39

Yeah, Kartikeyan turned into Vettel, although I think it was a race incident.
<<<The flag Lew1s waved at

Zack
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Post by Zack » 28 Mar 2012, 11:42

"I had seen the incidents on TV and don't feel Narain can be blamed in either of the incidents. I think Vettel had a frustrating day with nothing to show for at the end of it. That frustration could have come out in his words." - Hulkenberg

reppo
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by reppo » 28 Mar 2012, 12:08

Vettel certainly had a frustrating day, but it was for Narain a stupid thing to do. He broke his front wing too and had he been fighting for points he would have lost. But without Narain and that stupid personnel of HRT, who was on the grid just before restart, Pedro de la Rosa might have been totally invisible driver in the race. Because of that someone from HRT Pedro got a drive trough penalty. Now thanks to both of them Pedro was also mentioned in the news :zz:

dacer
Donator
Donator

Post by dacer » 28 Mar 2012, 13:28

Zack wrote:"I had seen the incidents on TV and don't feel Narain can be blamed in either of the incidents. I think Vettel had a frustrating day with nothing to show for at the end of it. That frustration could have come out in his words." - Hulkenberg
Remenber that with Button, they fight for position.

François
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by François » 28 Mar 2012, 14:28

reppo wrote:had he been fighting for points he would have lost.
Points.

Narain Karthikeyan.

At the wheel of... an HRT.

:rofl:

reppo
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by reppo » 28 Mar 2012, 15:51

François wrote:
reppo wrote:had he been fighting for points he would have lost.
Points.

Narain Karthikeyan.

At the wheel of... an HRT.

:rofl:
Yeah :lol: I suppose it is too impossible even in Sepang where almost anything is possible :lol: Besides he is starting to be too old to get a seat in any team which can get in to points in any track, even if he had a huge bag of sponsor money, if he still haven't learn how to not broke his car. Bad thing is that with driving like that he spoiled Vettel's race too :( No matter if it was a racing incident or not. Could well be, this is Narain's last year in F1.

SpliT
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by SpliT » 29 Mar 2012, 14:36

Overtaking statistics in Malaysia:
Spoiler:
P. Lap. Driver on Driver Position

1. 2 Michael Schumacher Heikki Kovalainen 14
2. 2 Romain Grosjean Charles Pic 19
3. 2 Romain Grosjean Timo Glock 18
4. 3 Sergio Perez Pedro de la Rosa 21
5. 3 Sergio Perez Narain Karthikeyan 20
6. 4 Romain Grosjean Vitaly Petrov 15
7. 4 Romain Grosjean Daniel Ricciardo 14
8. 4 Romain Grosjean Heikki Kovalainen 13
9. 4 Daniel Ricciardo Heikki Kovalainen 14
10. 4 Vitaly Petrov Heikki Kovalainen 15
11. 4 Paul di Resta Pedro de la Rosa 19
12. 5 Michael Schumacher Jean-Eric Vergne 8
13. 5 Jenson Button Jean-Eric Vergne 9
14. 5 Sergio Perez Jean-Eric Vergne 10
15. 5 Jenson Button Michael Schumacher 8
16. 6 Fernando Alonso Jean-Eric Vergne 5
17. 6 Sebastian Vettel Jean-Eric Vergne 6
18. 6 Felipe Massa Narain Karthikeyan 8
19. 6 Nico Rosberg Narain Karthikeyan 9
20. 6 Nico Hulkenberg Paul di Resta 11
21. 6 Kamui Kobayashi Daniel Ricciardo 17
22. 6 Kamui Kobayashi Pedro de la Rosa 16
23. 14 Fernando Alonso Mark Webber 3
24. 14 Sebastian Vettel Mark Webber 4
25. 14 Mark Webber Sebastian Vettel 4
26. 14 Felipe Massa Jean-Eric Vergne 6
27. 14 Paul di Resta Narain Karthikeyan 8
28. 14 Nico Hulkenberg Narain Karthikeyan 9
29. 14 Pastor Maldonado Narain Karthikeyan 10
30. 14 Pastor Maldonado Nico Hulkenberg 9
31. 14 Michael Schumacher Narain Karthikeyan 11
32. 14 Daniel Ricciardo Narain Karthikeyan 12
33. 14 Heikki Kovalainen Narain Karthikeyan 13
34. 14 Charles Pic Narain Karthikeyan 14
35. 15 Fernando Alonso Narain Karthikeyan 6
36. 15 Fernando Alonso Charles Pic 5
37. 15 Lewis Hamilton Narain Karthikeyan 7
38. 15 Kamui Kobayashi Pedro de la Rosa 16
39. 15 Michael Schumacher Pedro de la Rosa 17
40. 15 Bruno Senna Pedro de la Rosa 18
41. 15 Daniel Ricciardo Pedro de la Rosa 19
42. 15 Heikki Kovalainen Pedro de la Rosa 20
43. 15 Timo Glock Pedro de la Rosa 21
44. 15 Vitaly Petrov Pedro de la Rosa 22
45. 16 Fernando Alonso Sergio Perez 1
46. 16 Vitaly Petrov Timo Glock 17
47. 18 Jean-Eric Vergne Paul di Resta 9
48. 18 Paul di Resta Jean-Eric Vergne 9
49. 18 Michael Schumacher Kamui Kobayashi 12
50. 18 Vitaly Petrov Heikki Kovalainen 16
51. 19 Daniel Ricciardo Bruno Senna 14
52. 20 Daniel Ricciardo Kamui Kobayashi 13
53. 21 Bruno Senna Kamui Kobayashi 14
54. 23 Sebastian Vettel Nico Rosberg 4
55. 23 Bruno Senna Daniel Ricciardo 13
56. 23 Pastor Maldonado Timo Glock 17
57. 24 Kimi Raikkonen Nico Rosberg 5
58. 24 Jenson Button Timo Glock 18
59. 25 Mark Webber Nico Rosberg 6
60. 25 Bruno Senna Michael Schumacher 12
61. 27 Jean-Eric Vergne Felipe Massa 8
62. 27 Bruno Senna Nico Hulkenberg 10
63. 27 Daniel Ricciardo Timo Glock 17
64. 28 Pastor Maldonado Vitaly Petrov 13
65. 29 Jenson Button Timo Glock 18
66. 30 Kamui Kobayashi Michael Schumacher 11
67. 30 Nico Rosberg Vitaly Petrov 14
68. 31 Jenson Button Daniel Ricciardo 17
69. 35 Jenson Button Felipe Massa 16
70. 36 Jenson Button Vitaly Petrov 15
71. 36 Daniel Ricciardo Felipe Massa 17
72. 38 Daniel Ricciardo Timo Glock 18
73. 41 Pastor Maldonado Michael Schumacher 11
74. 41 Daniel Ricciardo Nico Rosberg 14
75. 43 Felipe Massa Vitaly Petrov 17
76. 44 Bruno Senna Paul di Resta 7
77. 46 Jenson Button Nico Rosberg 15
78. 56 Nico Rosberg Jenson Button 13

P. Driver Overtaking

1. Daniel Ricciardo 9
2. Jenson Button 8
3. Bruno Senna 6
4. Fernando Alonso 5
==. Michael Schumacher 5
==. Romain Grosjean 5
==. Pastor Maldonado 5
8. Vitaly Petrov 4
==. Kamui Kobayashi 4
10. Nico Rosberg 3
==. Sergio Perez 3
==. Paul di Resta 3
==. Sebastian Vettel 3
==. Felipe Massa 3
15. Heikki Kovalainen 2
==. Mark Webber 2
==. Nico Hulkenberg 2
==. Jean-Eric Vergne 2
19. Charles Pic 1
==. Kimi Raikkonen 1
==. Lewis Hamilton 1
==. Timo Glock 1
Overall Overtaking statistics in 2012 so far:
Spoiler:
P. Driver Overtaking
1. Daniel Ricciardo 13
2. Bruno Senna 9
3. Jenson Button 8
==. Kamui Kobayashi 8
==. Fernando Alonso 8
6. Pastor Maldonado 7
7. Witalij Pietrow 6
==. Nico Rosberg 6
==. Paul di Resta 6
==. Sebastian Vettel 6
11. Michael Schumacher 5
==. Romain Grosjean 5
==. Heikki Kovalainen 5
==. Jean-Eric Vergne 5
15. Kimi Raikkonen 4
==. Sergio Perez 4
==. Felipe Massa 4
==. Mark Webber 4
19. Nico Hulkenberg 2
==. Lewis Hamilton 2
21. Charles Pic 1
==. Timo Glock 1

119 overtaking in 2 races = 59,5 overtaking per race.

Adam
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by Adam » 30 Mar 2012, 04:23

reppo wrote:Mika Salo's thoughts
http://blogit.mtv3.fi/f1salonsilmin/201 ... alonsolta/
A great drive from Alonso

Published on 28/03/2012

At the beginning of the race it was raining again so much water that it did not make any sense. This time of the year it rains every afternoon in Malaysia, so it is absurd to have a race in the late afternoon. When it rains, it rains like ****. Thus, the competition should be held earlier in the day. The electricity of booth and air conditioning went off, with the result that we could not even see out when it was so foggy in the booth. And we could not step anywhere because of being afraid of electricity on the floors.

I waited for McLaren to win just like that, but right from the start it looked different. There is probably no one on earth who would have believed that at the end of the race the first two are Alonso and Perez.

I was left annoyed because Perez made a small error, which came at the wrong place. In the press, it was said to be Ferrari's order that Perez cannot pass, but in reality, Sauber was fighting for the victory every bit as hard as a Ferrari. Perez drove wide on one corner and that was it. Perez caught Alonso, but Alonso as an experienced driver is hard to pass so easily. For Ferrari this was the only chance to win for a long time, so he will take the win, when it is offered. It was really nice and totally flawless drive for Alonso, especially after Ferrari had been bashed so low.

Sauber has been fast since the winter tests. This result gives Perez self-confidence, so I think that they should do just fine in other races. All the teams have now three weeks to make changes to cars. I include Sauber into the same rank as Lotus, so that I do not think their pace of development is at the same level as Ferrari, McLaren and Red Bull.

While watching Massa's driving over the weekend, so yes Ferrari should do something quickly. A team at that level cannot race only one car. Massa has with the new car even greater problems than Alonso and he also makes stupid mistakes. At one point at the race Massa raced with Petrov. Then cars behind came more rapidly, and Massa started to block them. He lost several seconds to Petrov when he was concentrating into his mirrors. Driving like that is not racing but wriggling by force.

Red Bull was just a disaster. I think Vettel's accident was his own fault and not Karthikeyan's. Vettel came back to the racing line too early and hit the HRT's front wing.

Lotus will continue to look real fast. According the team Kimi's lap times would not have been quite enough for pole, but with a flawless lap, he would have been second in qualification. When they get one weekend to go smoothly without any problems, I think the result will be good. Kovalainen's car on the other hand looks bad on the track and lap times are bad. Something big has to happen, if Caterham is going to get points in this year.

I was in training for a judge this the weekend . I am in the jury in Valencia race. It is quite nice experience to see the things on that side too. Then I have seen formula one from three angles: as a
I like this Mika Salo, too bad he doesnt' seem to write his stuff in English too.

reppo
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by reppo » 30 Mar 2012, 15:52

Adam wrote:I like this Mika Salo, too bad he doesnt' seem to write his stuff in English too.
He uses sometimes colorful language :O But I disagree with him about Vettel / Karthikeyan incident. Watching the video over and over again it looks that Vettel is changing the line hardly at all, but Karthikeyan makes a strong move to right:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn-ZaIQUtSk
Before the cars touched, Narain should have seen where Seb's car was. He was lapped by Vettel and it was his responsibility to give room and make sure he can be passed safely. Now Salo can be judging a race some day, and I just hope he has no longer foggy eyes :fear:

Zack
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Post by Zack » 31 Mar 2012, 05:48

^ Even, i m few of those who believe its not Karthikeyan fault. Just another example preferential treatment big teams get!!!

dacer
Donator
Donator

Post by dacer » 31 Mar 2012, 12:09

If Vettel was 1st, or even If he was on podium, this would be important, but Vettel was out of podium, and I have to heard this long history.

Vettel had a bad race, and chrash with Karthikeyan. But people speak about Karthikeyan, not Vettel bad race.

Eric_Cartman
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Eric_Cartman » 31 Mar 2012, 13:24

dacer wrote:If Vettel was 1st, or even If he was on podium, this would be important, but Vettel was out of podium, and I have to heard this long history.

Vettel had a bad race, and chrash with Karthikeyan. But people speak about Karthikeyan, not Vettel bad race.
yes because his race got bad because of Karthikeyan :zz:
And I still don't understand why some people blame Vettel for the incident. They say that he could've avoided the accident. But should he leave the racing line that Karthikeyan with his extremely slow HRT can drive there? How should Vettel see that the HRT is driving back to the racing line into him when he already passed the car?
FC BAYERN 7 - BARCELONA 0

François
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by François » 31 Mar 2012, 14:26

Eric_Cartman wrote:yes because his race got bad because of Karthikeyan :zz:
Well, 4th behind a McLaren, a Ferrari (!) and a Sauber (!!!) would've been little to write home about by his standards, anyway. Of course, he may rue these lost points later on if RBR do not somehow resume their dominance.

Still early days, though. I remember when Montoya (of all people!) was taken out by Verstappen from a very comfortable lead and through no fault of his own (Brazil 2001); he didn't have any harsh or bitter words in the subsequent interview; remaining positive about the speed of the car and confident of more opportunities later in the season. Whether you love or hate him, that's far classier than calling the other driver a cucumber (?) or an idiot.

reppo
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by reppo » 31 Mar 2012, 15:15

Or calling somebody drunk or wooden eye. Nobody would have cared horse's arse if it had been HRT and Marussia, but because the other team was RBR and Vettel lapping a back marker it made headlines. Drivers have used dirty language and finger signs before and they will use them again. They are not nice gentlemen who after the race have a large scotch and say: "Hi old chap, I think you hit my car on the race" - "I suppose I did, my fault really. What will you drink" - "No, no. It's my turn now". Doesn't bother me if they show some temper now and then.

Karthikeyan just made a judgement error. He hasn't been driving much with wide front wing and I don't think he'll do the same mistake again. With narrow wing nothing might have happened, though we never know. 20 sec penalty was kind of courtesy to RBR and had no real meaning to Narain. Like saying naughty naughty be a good boy from now on. The race will go on and that's good :O