Michael Schumacher
7%
Other
2%

Total votes: 44

phil1993

Re: Grand Prix de Monaco 2011

Post by phil1993 » 30 May 2011, 11:46

Powerslave wrote:Agree on the 1 race ban. The British GP would be a nice place to serve the penalty. Maybe that way he might learn his lesson because he left Monaco practically unpunished with an undeserving points, having already ruined 2 other drivers' races !!!
&doh

He didn't ruin Massa's race and Maldonado wasn't watching his mirrors.

Watching the replays, Hamilton was so close behind Maldonado so it wasn't at all a lunge. Massa was so slow and he crashed himself.

alex1369
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by alex1369 » 30 May 2011, 12:09

its massas own fault, i dont understand 1 thing, why dont they close the door???? thats the problem
They leave always a bit space open and then they ask themselves what happened, close the door to the line/wall/grass so he only can have a go on the outside

thats how i race online, i never let that someone overtakes me on inside, only outside if possible

Eric_Cartman
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Eric_Cartman » 30 May 2011, 12:14

I'm not a fan of Hamilton, but I can't understand why lot's of people say that he should be banned for a race. The way Hamilton drove yesterday, is the sort of racing that we wanna see, won't we? May be he was a bit to aggressive yesterday but should he just drive the whole race behind a car that is much slower? If you wanna be successful in F1, you have to be aggressive like Vettel, Schumacher, Alonso or Hamilton!

Hamilton is the most entertaining driver in F1 and I start to like him although I'm a fan of Vettel.
FC BAYERN 7 - BARCELONA 0

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 30 May 2011, 12:58

alex1369 wrote:its massas own fault, i dont understand 1 thing, why dont they close the door???? thats the problem
They leave always a bit space open and then they ask themselves what happened, close the door to the line/wall/grass so he only can have a go on the outside

thats how i race online, i never let that someone overtakes me on inside, only outside if possible
Simple; Closing the door on hamilton would mean t-boning mark webber, causing a massive accident because the road would be blocked, and backing all the cars up.

lewis didnt think ahead of massa.

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 30 May 2011, 13:01

Eric_Cartman wrote:I'm not a fan of Hamilton, but I can't understand why lot's of people say that he should be banned for a race. The way Hamilton drove yesterday, is the sort of racing that we wanna see, won't we? May be he was a bit to aggressive yesterday but should he just drive the whole race behind a car that is much slower? If you wanna be successful in F1, you have to be aggressive like Vettel, Schumacher, Alonso or Hamilton!

Hamilton is the most entertaining driver in F1 and I start to like him although I'm a fan of Vettel.
Theres a limit to aggression. Ambition outweighed his talent yesterday. Schumy pass was great, but then Schumacher re-overtake lewis. Theres aggression, then theres stupidity. There isnt the space on the track for cars to go side-by-side. Massa found that out. But the fact is, He didnt think ahead of massa, and lewis ran out of road when he hit Maldanado, he shouldve backed off. When he hit him, lewis was so far over the rumble strips he even took the bollard out and fully cut the corner. Lewis was a joke yesterday and he knows it. But the hamilton fans wont accept it.

syafiqa
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by syafiqa » 30 May 2011, 13:02

Eric_Cartman wrote:I'm not a fan of Hamilton, but I can't understand why lot's of people say that he should be banned for a race. The way Hamilton drove yesterday, is the sort of racing that we wanna see, won't we? May be he was a bit to aggressive yesterday but should he just drive the whole race behind a car that is much slower? If you wanna be successful in F1, you have to be aggressive like Vettel, Schumacher, Alonso or Hamilton!

+1 :)

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 30 May 2011, 13:07

phil1993 wrote:
Powerslave wrote:Agree on the 1 race ban. The British GP would be a nice place to serve the penalty. Maybe that way he might learn his lesson because he left Monaco practically unpunished with an undeserving points, having already ruined 2 other drivers' races !!!
&doh

He didn't ruin Massa's race and Maldonado wasn't watching his mirrors.

Watching the replays, Hamilton was so close behind Maldonado so it wasn't at all a lunge. Massa was so slow and he crashed himself.
That doesnt mean lewis can whack him does it? No. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2BjGoS8ORE

watch the video. watch where the other cars infront turn. Maldanado turned into the apex like every other car. Hamitlon rode up the side of him, and took him out. Why wont you accept, lewis was terrible, instead of all the hammy fans having the blinkered view that lord lewis is innocent, massa's fault at the hairpin, maldanado's fault at turn 1, and the Stewards are Racist?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVGXFTwX97U

Alonso made the same retarded mistake on heidfeld that hamilton did on massa. How many of you will slate heidfeld? Oh? None of you. Oh yes! Thats because it was ALONSO'S fault. just like its HAMILTONS fault! If felipe didnt take it wide, he would have done that to WEBBER.

FFS PEOPLE!

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 30 May 2011, 14:23

I don't have a blinkered view, I'm not blaming Maldonado. I just feel that Hamilton is getting an unfairly large proportion of blame for an incident which he cannot be held fully responsible for.

Lewis vs Massa (tunnel)

Massa gets wide a bit, Lewis sniffs a chance. How is this Lewis' fault?

JoostLamers
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Post by JoostLamers » 30 May 2011, 15:38

I think we better agree to disagree, but a ban is why out of proportions. There are a lot of examples that are worse than Lewis' actions yesterday.
<<<The flag Lew1s waved at

JoostLamers
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Post by JoostLamers » 30 May 2011, 15:41

Perez leaves hospital :)
<<<The flag Lew1s waved at

sdutt
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by sdutt » 30 May 2011, 16:48

IMO, hamilton shouldnt get a race ban, but he got those penalties deservedly.
Massa cannot be blamed for the collision, because if he hadnt gone on inside he would have collided with Webber, so it was an avoidance reaction which Hamilton didnt realise, so resultant damage set off the going wide in the hairpin and Massa crashing out. and if you notice even after contact with Massa, Hamilton seemd to still be pushing to stay on the race line.
One must remember that Hamilton didnt get the penalty for Massa crashing out, it was purely for the collision, and so i dont see why people are talking about the tunnel incident. Massa didnt realise to what extent the damage was and hence crashed out which is quite possible, he definetly knew that there was damage, but sensing the extent is almost impossible, but this is another issue

I agree the Maldonado - Hamilton was more of a 50-50 case.

on a side note, Di riesta's driving was more like how i drive in video games, it seemed like he forgot there was a brake and was just collecting people who were ahead of him. Hope he learns from his mistakes, because i hope he does well.
Happy that Kamui managed 5th (only one to have finished in top 10 in all races among non top 3 teams which is great) and Sutil too. Barrichello was disappointing and lucked into points, but what important was he was there till the end and hence deserved the points

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 30 May 2011, 16:57

I think you can see for certain, Hamilton was not 100% to blame for this crash.

Vorull
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Vorull » 30 May 2011, 17:20

They are almost identical till the penultimate... I guess you can't expect the same professional reaction from a rookie.
Great images :O

François
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by François » 30 May 2011, 18:20

Nice work phil. Just goes to show how fine a line there is between a brilliant, bold, perfectly executed move that earns you dithyrambic praise and a slightly misjudged one that ends in tears and lots of bad press.

I still say, in hindsight (which makes it is very easy), that Hamilton should've known better. He had been all over Schumacher's gearbox for several laps when he pulled that move, Schumi would've known he was there and fully expected that he should try something. On the other hand, there he goes trying to surprise Maldonado at the restart, I bet that surprised him alright! The guy had driven his best race of the year and was on course for some big and very much needed points, with the end basically in sight; he was probably more concerned with bringing it home safely than watching for a desperate overtaking attempt.

A move like that requires, at the very least, a bit of cooperation from the driver in front since Hamilton was never going to be fully alongside him (let alone in front!) before the corner. A quarter of a car length behind is still behind. Probably felt it might be his only opportunity, which was just untrue: Webber managed a clean pass on Kobayashi (of all people!) moments later, in a far less risky place, and I don't think the difference in car performance is bigger between RBR and Sauber than it is between McLaren and Williams. Had he waited just a couple more laps, he would definitely have had his chance. Had he fired a couple warning shots before trying, who knows, maybe Maldonado would've yielded just like Schumacher did. Maybe not.

A one-race ban? Don't be ridiculous. It was a mistake, not a deliberate attempt to shove someone out of the road.