Bahrain political instability

2011 Formula One Season.
François
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Re: 2011 Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix

Post by François » 04 Jun 2011, 22:16

I think it's a terrible decision to have reinstated the race this season, regardless of whether you take the moral high ground or not. Two reasons:

(1) Safety concerns. It's very presumptuous of the Bahrain government (not to mention the FIA) to guarantee that the race can be held without any problems only a few months after massive unrest that was serious enough to warrant cancelling the race, putting forward a state of emergency and requesting massive military support from other Gulf kingdoms. More importantly, no common ground was found with the protesters, who were removed by force and with casualties. "Peace" has returned for now, but nothing has been solved. The people who were unhappy enough to demonstrate in Pearl Square in February are still unhappy, waiting for the next occasion to make it widely known. A high-profile, international sporting event is a golden opportunity for that. The protesters had intended on disrupting the race in March, why would it be different in October? Why give them the chance and make yourself a target? Why take such a risk?

And assuming the military can guarantee the safety, who wants to race under military protection? What will it be like? Tanks patrolling the surroundings? Bodyguards for drivers and key staff throughout the weekend? Background checks on anybody buying a ticket?

(2) Image. The protests that led to the cancellation of the race got some rather wide media attention in western countries, and it wasn't too long ago. Everybody remembers and, for good or bad reasons, a lot of people think it is indecent and disrespectful to go racing there so early. As we've seen, some even feel rather strongly about it. I personally believe it's a bit delusional to be looking for exemplary ethics in a sport owned by Bernie Ecclestone, but you've gotta admit this isn't good publicity. Everybody's under the impression that money has spoken quite loud and that some legitimate concerns about logistics, safety and ethics have been ignored. Even if that's just the way it works, it would've been wise not to remind everyone so bluntly.

Bobdredds
kart driver
kart driver

Post by Bobdredds » 05 Jun 2011, 01:43

I have no issue with anyone deciding to watch the Bahrain GP, I just wont be watching it for my stated reasons. I dont understand why those who have decided to watch it are attacking people who are going to boycott it though. Sweeping statements and references to hypocricy are insulting and unfair because you dont know what other types of protest I and others like me have been involved in. This topic is about the Bahrain GP and to try to compare the situation to other regimes is impossible and this is not the place. There are specific issues being addressed about the Bahrain GP and people should make up their own minds what action they want to take if any. I strongly feel, that if people are going to argue and throw insults about this, then we have all missed the point. For the record, yes it's true that other countries have human rights issues and cant express themselves as freely as others such as ourselves. But the reason for that is that no one pays attention to us in the west, we have become the white noise of protest through carefull media handling and propoganda. Bahrain gives the opportuinity to stand up and be counted in a way where the protest will be noticed and felt, which is a rare enough occasion in todays world.

François
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by François » 05 Jun 2011, 08:22

Former FIA president Max Mosley has spoken out on the Bahrein decision.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/92002

Bobdredds
kart driver
kart driver

Post by Bobdredds » 05 Jun 2011, 12:29

François wrote:Former FIA president Max Mosley has spoken out on the Bahrein decision.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/92002
Mark Webber has also spoken out.
"As a competitor I do not feel at all comfortable going there to compete in an event when, despite reassurances to the contrary, it seems inevitable that it will cause more tension for the people of that country," he said.

"I don't understand why my sport wishes to place itself in a position to be a catalyst for that."

Me neither Mark!

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/91981

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 05 Jun 2011, 15:29

Bobdredds wrote:I have no issue with anyone deciding to watch the Bahrain GP, I just wont be watching it for my stated reasons. I dont understand why those who have decided to watch it are attacking people who are going to boycott it though. Sweeping statements and references to hypocricy are insulting and unfair because you dont know what other types of protest I and others like me have been involved in. This topic is about the Bahrain GP and to try to compare the situation to other regimes is impossible and this is not the place. There are specific issues being addressed about the Bahrain GP and people should make up their own minds what action they want to take if any. I strongly feel, that if people are going to argue and throw insults about this, then we have all missed the point. For the record, yes it's true that other countries have human rights issues and cant express themselves as freely as others such as ourselves. But the reason for that is that no one pays attention to us in the west, we have become the white noise of protest through carefull media handling and propoganda. Bahrain gives the opportuinity to stand up and be counted in a way where the protest will be noticed and felt, which is a rare enough occasion in todays world.
Could ask that to the protestors too ;)

Mondello
car driver
car driver

Post by Mondello » 07 Jun 2011, 12:48

The sponsors won't want this, the negative press around GP time will be terrible, so that will stop it more than anything else
http://www.thef1slate.com/- see what the drivers "really" think

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 07 Jun 2011, 13:46

FOTA has informed the FIA that they want the Indian Grand Prix to take place on Oct 30th

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 07 Jun 2011, 14:26

Still not seeing the big fuss to be honest. The teams should go. Would they have moaned and groaned should the protests in bahrain have happened in january and were finished in february for example?

Sponsors will think its bad press? I doubt it. Camera's will be on the track, with the cars. Now unless you get the bahraini people running in the track, then its their own stupidity (which they deserve to be ran over if theyre stupid enough).

many sources around the web are saying bahrain is near normality. You get the obvious televised area, but thats it. Its been taken out of hand by many.

The teams get paid, if they dont go to bahrain then they should lose 1/20th of their CVC money for not going, and bahrain should get refunded its money back aswell, and so should the BBC and all television broadcasters and all sponsors, should get money back from CVC which should be taken from all the teams.

If safety is guaranteed, the teams are OBLIGED to go. F1 isnt a government, it isnt there to take any forms of morality or moral stance. therefor, they should up, and do what they are paid to do.

Id get the sack if I refused to goto work in birmingham say, because I was worried about protests. Have the bahrain people threatened to take action against the formula 1 circus? I mean if they have, then doesnt it just show what kind of people they are, if they are willing to hurt F1 personell? If thats what they are like then they deserve what they get.

Mosely cant criticise the decision, its not like there was never any human rights issues in any of the countries he visited is there eh Mr spanky nazi-orgy. Thats whats really bothering me. People are making an issue of bahrain as a stance, when they fail to remember that other couuntries have a worse record, have worse attrocities to their name, and nobody comes on with the 'lets boycott X grand prix'. TO be honest, you wanna boycott it, you do that. Youll read about it after. Watch highlights. See pictures. Just plain stupid people, thinking theyre taking the moral highground when theyre actually just plain fools.

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 07 Jun 2011, 14:26

phil1993 wrote:FOTA has informed the FIA that they want the Indian Grand Prix to take place on Oct 30th
Abu Dhabi has already said it will go back a week. so thats FOTA's bluff gone already!

Bobdredds
kart driver
kart driver

Post by Bobdredds » 07 Jun 2011, 14:29

mikhailv wrote:
Bobdredds wrote:I have no issue with anyone deciding to watch the Bahrain GP, I just wont be watching it for my stated reasons. I dont understand why those who have decided to watch it are attacking people who are going to boycott it though. Sweeping statements and references to hypocricy are insulting and unfair because you dont know what other types of protest I and others like me have been involved in. This topic is about the Bahrain GP and to try to compare the situation to other regimes is impossible and this is not the place. There are specific issues being addressed about the Bahrain GP and people should make up their own minds what action they want to take if any. I strongly feel, that if people are going to argue and throw insults about this, then we have all missed the point. For the record, yes it's true that other countries have human rights issues and cant express themselves as freely as others such as ourselves. But the reason for that is that no one pays attention to us in the west, we have become the white noise of protest through carefull media handling and propoganda. Bahrain gives the opportuinity to stand up and be counted in a way where the protest will be noticed and felt, which is a rare enough occasion in todays world.
Could ask that to the protestors too ;)
Which is why I included

"if people are going to argue and throw insults about this, then we have all missed the point." ;)

Bobdredds
kart driver
kart driver

Post by Bobdredds » 07 Jun 2011, 14:47

mikhailv wrote:
phil1993 wrote:FOTA has informed the FIA that they want the Indian Grand Prix to take place on Oct 30th
Abu Dhabi has already said it will go back a week. so thats FOTA's bluff gone already!
I dont think it's a bluff. All the parties involved are picking their statements carefully and thats appropriate under the curcumstances. The clear message from the teams and drivers is that they shouldn't race. The FIA should move immediately to reverse the decision based on the reaction worldwide. This would spare sponsors and individuals having to make a stand that could have negative responses for them in the future. Clearly the FIA decision was based on the presentation made by the Bahraini government and is an indication of how much clout the country has. The intelligent course of action for both parties is to postpone the event until next year. Lets hope they figure it out for themselves.

cformula1
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by cformula1 » 08 Jun 2011, 08:23

While I disagree with the decision, on the basis that the security situation could change dramatically between now and October, if the race does go ahead and is a success then it will have been a good decision. Personally I think we'll see a lot of politics between now and then and this could result in the race being cancelled.

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 08 Jun 2011, 10:47

Whats your opinion on the document phil?

Seems that theres quite alot of misonceptions from the media's point.... but still take the report with a pinch of salt.