2009 Singtel Singapore Grand Prix

Who will win the 2009 Singapore Grand Prix?

Jenson Button
10%
Rubens Barrichello
25%
Sebastian Vettel
13%
Mark Webber
3%
Kimi Raikkonen
12%
Nico Rosberg
3%
Lewis Hamilton
28%
Jarno Trulli
No votes
Heikki Kovalainen
No votes
Fernando Alonso
7%
Giancarlo Fisichella
No votes
Other
No votes

Total votes: 69

Tom Vandenhove
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

2009 Singtel Singapore Grand Prix

Post by Tom Vandenhove » 16 Sep 2009, 12:07

Round 14 : 2009 Singtel Singapore Grand Prix
It's time for the second nightrace in F1's history ... At the Marina Bay circuit, in Singapore

Code: Select all

Race Date: 27 Sep 2009 
Number of Laps: 61 
Circuit Length: 5.067 km 
Race Distance: 308.950 km 
Lap Record: 1:45.599 - K Raikkonen (2008)

Race TimeTable (Local Time)
Fri 25 September 2009
Friday Practice 1 18:00 - 19:30
Friday Practice 2 21:30 - 23:00
Sat 26 September 2009
Saturday Practice 19:00 - 20:00
Qualifying 22:00
Sun 27 September 2009
Race 20:00

Pos	Driver	Points
1	Jenson Button	80
2	Rubens Barrichello	66
3	Sebastian Vettel	54
4	Mark Webber	51.5
5	Kimi Räikkönen	40
6	Nico Rosberg	30.5
7	Lewis Hamilton	27
8	Jarno Trulli	22.5
9	Felipe Massa	22
10	Heikki Kovalainen	20
11	Fernando Alonso	20
12	Timo Glock	16
13	Nick Heidfeld	12
14	Giancarlo Fisichella	8
15	Robert Kubica	8
16	Adrian Sutil	5
17	Sébastien Buemi	3
18	Sébastien Bourdais	2
19	Kazuki Nakajima	0
20	Nelsinho Piquet	0
21	Luca Badoer	0
22	Romain Grosjean	0
23	Jaime Alguersuari	0
-      Vitantonio Liuzzi     0
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UYIhB9FKZ0[/youtube]

Last Year (From Wikipedia)
Last years Singapore grand prix was a very exciting, but also a very controversial race ... Here's a report :

Attention : Following report includes some race spoilers !
Spoiler:
The race began at 20:00 local time. At the start Massa, on pole position, championship rival Hamilton and Räikkönen all got through the first sequence of corners safely and retained their positions. Kubica and Kovalainen made contact at Turn 3, causing Kovalainen to lose two places to Glock and Vettel. Heidfeld and Alonso cut the first corner but they did not receive any penalty. Massa began to edge away from Hamilton, who in turn was moving away from Räikkönen. Jarno Trulli had begun the race on a heavy fuel load, and soon was holding up a number of cars with Williams' Nico Rosberg immediately behind him. It was not until the seventh lap that Rosberg finally passed Trulli's Toyota, and soon Nakajima and Alonso came through as well.

At the front of the pack, Massa had built up a lead of over three seconds to Hamilton within the first ten laps, with Räikkönen a further seven seconds behind him. On lap twelve, Alonso was the first driver who came into the pits. He switched his super-soft tyres for the soft compound tyres and rejoined at the back of the field. This was soon to play into the Renault driver's hands, as team mate Nelson Piquet, Jr. hit the wall at Turn 17 on lap fourteen after losing control of his car, prompting the safety car to be deployed. The two Red Bull cars managed to come into the pits before it was closed. With very little fuel left, Rosberg, Kubica and Rubens Barrichello had no choice but to pit despite the pit lane being closed. Barrichello's Honda then had a mechanical failure and became the second retirement of the race. After all the cars were behind the safety car, the pit lane was opened and nearly all the drivers pitted.

With both Räikkönen behind him and the lead to contest with Hamilton, Ferrari accidentally released Massa prematurely with the fuel hose still attached to the car. Like in Valencia, the Brazilian was also released into the path of Sutil, who had to take action to avoid the Ferrari. Massa went the full length of the pitlane before stopping just before the exit. In the time it took the mechanics to run down the pitlane and remove the hose from the car, he had lost track position and was now at the back of the field. A number of cars competing in the midfield prior to the safety car were leading the field because they had pitted already, or they were on one stop strategies and thus were not due in yet. At the front were Rosberg, Trulli, Fisichella, Kubica, Alonso, Webber, Coulthard and Hamilton.

Rosberg started to pull away from the heavily fuelled Trulli and Fisichella with the Force India driver holding up most of the field behind him. During the next few laps, Felipe Massa was given a drive through penalty for an unsafe release from the pits as opposed to the fine he received after a similar incident at the European Grand Prix. Rosberg and Kubica were given 10 second stop-go penalties for refuelling while the pitlane was closed. The Ferrari driver was the first of the trio to serve his penalty and rejoined the track in the same position he came in, last. Kubica was the second, coming into the pits in fourth and rejoining the race behind Massa. After building a lead of over fifteen seconds to Trulli, Rosberg served his penalty a lap later and rejoined the circuit in fourth behind Alonso. Jarno Trulli was now leading the race.

A lap later, Fisichella came in from second to make his first pit stop, moving Alonso into second and Rosberg into third. Trulli led the race for a further four more laps before making his one and only stop of the night, giving the lead to Alonso. He soon pulled away from Rosberg who pitted from second on lap 41, rejoining in seventh. Alonso made his final stop a lap later but still rejoined in the lead, just ahead of second and third placed Coulthard and Hamilton. Coulthard lost momentum and the McLaren overtook the Red Bull at turn seven. Both cars pitted at the end of the lap.

After 45 laps , Alonso led Timo Glock by just over six seconds and Rosberg by a further eleven seconds in third. The Toyota driver pitted two laps later, coming out in fifth. Four laps later, team mate Trulli began to slow down and soon retired after a mechanical failure. On the same lap, Räikkönen made his second and final stop of the race and rejoined in fifth. A lap later, Massa spun at Turn 18 and lightly tapped the tyre wall without sustaining much damage. Moments later, Sutil fell victim to the same corner and broke his front suspension, becoming the fifth retirement of the night. The incident brought out the second safety car period of the race.

The safety car withdrew from the circuit with nine laps remaining and Alonso pulled away from Rosberg and Hamilton. Glock, Räikkönen, Vettel, Heidfeld and Coulthard were in the remaining points positions. Rosberg was coming under pressure from Hamilton, who was looking to capitalize on Massa being out of the points. While chasing Glock, Räikkönen bounced off the kerbs at the Turn 10 chicane and crashed into the barriers with four laps to go, promoting Nakajima into the points. Alonso maintained his lead over Rosberg and took his first win for Renault since his return to the team. Rosberg held on to second and Hamilton settled for third. Massa finished in 13th place, and the points deficit between himself and Hamilton increased to seven points, improving Hamilton's chances of taking the Driver's Championship. With team-mate Räikkönen failing to finish, this was the first time the Ferrari team had failed to score any points in a race since the 2006 Australian Grand Prix.

Final Result :
[pre]Pos No Driver Constructor Laps Time/Retired Grid Points
1 5 Fernando Alonso Renault 61 1:57:16.304 15 10
2 7 Nico Rosberg Williams-Toyota 61 +2.957 8 8
3 22 Lewis Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes 61 +5.917 2 6
4 12 Timo Glock Toyota 61 +8.155 7 5
5 15 Sebastian Vettel Toro Rosso-Ferrari 61 +10.268 6 4
6 3 Nick Heidfeld BMW Sauber 61 +11.101 9 3
7 9 David Coulthard Red Bull-Renault 61 +16.387 14 2
8 8 Kazuki Nakajima Williams-Toyota 61 +18.489 10 1
9 16 Jenson Button Honda 61 +19.885 12
10 23 Heikki Kovalainen McLaren-Mercedes 61 +26.902 5
11 4 Robert Kubica BMW Sauber 61 +27.975 4
12 14 Sébastien Bourdais Toro Rosso-Ferrari 61 +29.432 17
13 2 Felipe Massa Ferrari 61 +35.170 1
14 21 Giancarlo Fisichella Force India-Ferrari 61 +43.571 20
15 1 Kimi Räikkönen Ferrari 57 Accident 3
Ret 11 Jarno Trulli Toyota 50 Hydraulics 11
Ret 20 Adrian Sutil Force India-Ferrari 49 Accident 19
Ret 10 Mark Webber Red Bull-Renault 29 Transmission 13
Ret 17 Rubens Barrichello Honda 14 Engine 18
Ret 6 Nelson Piquet, Jr. Renault 13 Accident 16[/pre]
2009 Entry List

1. Lewis Hamilton 
2. Heikki Kovalainen
3. Giancarlo Fisichella
4. Kimi Raikkonen
5. Robert Kubica
6. Nick Heidfeld
9. Jarno Trulli
10.Timo Glock
11. Jaime Alguersuari
12. Sebastien Buemi
14. Mark Webber
15. Sebastian Vettel
16 Nico Rosberg
17 Kazuki Nakajima
20 Adrian Sutil
21 Vitantionio Liuzzi
22 Jenson Button
23 Rubens Barrichello 
2009 Track Buildup
Spoiler:

:!: Prediction Competition

Live Webcam:

http://www.marina-bay.sg/webcam.html
Last edited by shailf1 on 22 Sep 2009, 13:02, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: More info and poll added

phil1993

Re: 2009 Singtel Singapore Grand Prix

Post by phil1993 » 16 Sep 2009, 15:38

So turn 1 has been altered and thank God they sorted out the pit entry/exit...

dragoneak
kart driver
kart driver

Post by dragoneak » 16 Sep 2009, 15:39

Why on BMW track analysis we can see Ferrari ?

Last year it was very boring racing. One big procession. I hope this year will be more exciting. I hope more overtaking.
Does anybody know something about new course surface ? Last year was very bumpy. Almost every car's chassis was touching surface.
I still learn English. Please forgive me all mistakes. If I make any mistake just please tell me.

Tom Vandenhove
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Tom Vandenhove » 16 Sep 2009, 16:12

phil1993 wrote:So turn 1 has been altered and thank God they sorted out the pit entry/exit...
yeah, finally !!! :lol:
Off-Topic: show
phil1993 wrote:More info and poll added
I guess you like your new function :n

shailf1
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by shailf1 » 16 Sep 2009, 16:19

dragoneak wrote:Why on BMW track analysis we can see Ferrari ?

Last year it was very boring racing. One big procession. I hope this year will be more exciting. I hope more overtaking.
Does anybody know something about new course surface ? Last year was very bumpy. Almost every car's chassis was touching surface.
BMW track analysis means BMW sponsors that track analysis..it is not referring to bmw f1 team.

alex1369
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by alex1369 » 16 Sep 2009, 23:02

hey guys, look what i found, on croatian f1racing site it says it will rain in singapore, all 4 days check here http://www.f1racing.com.hr/ just scroll down to vremenska prognoza and u will see some very nice clouds :n, hope its true...

TwistedArmco
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by TwistedArmco » 16 Sep 2009, 23:05

Haha, that will be hilarious. We may be hearing the word "glare" a whole lot more than usual next weekend. Another hilarious thing is that I voted Alonso to win Singapore in the poll. Which is funny, because Renault won't be racing at Singapore. I think we can all see the funny side of that... *looks for whisky bottle*
No, I'm not calmer. Just more jaded.

Tom Vandenhove
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Tom Vandenhove » 17 Sep 2009, 13:41

What ? Rain at singapore :lol: that would be awesome !

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 17 Sep 2009, 13:48

It would be a complete disaster. None of you guys watch MotoGP obviously... Qatar Night race.. it rained, it got postponed... I'd rather a dry race than a non race

color
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by color » 17 Sep 2009, 14:51

dragoneak wrote:Why on BMW track analysis we can see Ferrari ?
BMW sponsors SPEED TV's "track analysis". they usually show pole position laps. it has nothing to do with BMW SAuber F1 Team.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 17 Sep 2009, 15:16

Brawn and Canon team up for Singapore
Brawn GP is pleased to announce a new partnership with Canon Singapore Pte Ltd for the Singapore Grand Prix, Round 14 of the 2009 FIA Formula One World Championship, which will be held under the floodlights of the Marina Bay Street Circuit on Sunday 27 September.

The showcase event, which hosted Formula One’s first night race in 2008, will see the iconic Canon branding on the sidepods of Jenson Button and Rubens Barrichello’s Brawn-Mercedes cars throughout the Singapore Grand Prix weekend.

Canon has a relationship with Formula One that dates from 1985. The partnership with Brawn GP will allow Canon Singapore, the company’s South and South-East Asia headquarters, to use the unique setting of the only night race on the Formula One calendar to promote Canon’s expertise in digital imaging to a local and global audience.

Ross Brawn, Team Principal at Brawn GP said: “We are very pleased to confirm our partnership with Canon Singapore for the Singapore Grand Prix and look forward to working closely together over the next two weeks. Formula One’s inaugural night race at the Marina Bay Street Circuit was a huge success and the floodlights provided a wonderful spectacle against the backdrop of the Singapore skyline, a perfect combination for Canon to showcase their photographic and digital imaging technology. We’re all looking forward to returning to Singapore next week for what should be another fantastic event.”

Melvyn Ho, Vice President, Consumer Imaging and Information Group, Canon Singapore commented: "The Singapore Grand Prix is one of the most visually distinctive races in the world and, as the leader in digital imaging, the race weekend is the perfect showcase for Canon. We are extremely proud to be working with the current World Championship leaders Brawn GP and respect the skill, vision and engineering excellence that have made Ross Brawn and his team so successful this season. Like Brawn GP, Canon brings innovation to the marketplace and as leaders in our respective fields, we look forward to a fruitful and rewarding relationship together."

http://www.brawngp.com/readstory.asp?bgp=j%C1%AA%C0rZy%5E

megasyxx
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by megasyxx » 17 Sep 2009, 15:25

phil1993 wrote:It would be a complete disaster. None of you guys watch MotoGP obviously... Qatar Night race.. it rained, it got postponed... I'd rather a dry race than a non race
it's still a good 10 days away from raceday anyway.....maybe on tuesday or wednesday next week will give us a more accurate picture on what the weather will be on raceday.

Fergie1
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Fergie1 » 17 Sep 2009, 16:29

I see no change on the circuit map in post one with the pit entry and t1. I presume an updated version has not been released?

JoostLamers
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Post by JoostLamers » 17 Sep 2009, 16:35

So.. Back to Singapore, I imagine that every crash during the race will be talked about afterwards.

I really have no idea who'll win this one, but I think Force India won't be in the top 8, IMO Fisichella will be in front of the Fifi's this race
<<<The flag Lew1s waved at

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 17 Sep 2009, 16:44

Fergie1 wrote:I see no change on the circuit map in post one with the pit entry and t1. I presume an updated version has not been released?
Presumably. I think T1 has been made more 90 degree left as opposed to a kink, and T22 has been widened and the run down after the Anderson bridge extended