2009 Hungarian Grand Prix

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

2009 Hungarian Grand Prix

Post by iceman1 » 17 Jul 2009, 06:29

2009 FORMULA 1 Hungarian Grand Prix - XXIV ING Magyar Nagydíj (official)

wikipedia wrote:
The first Hungarian Grand Prix (Hungarian: Magyar Nagydíj) was held on June 21, 1936 over a 3.1-mile track laid out in Népliget, a park near the center of Budapest. The Mercedes-Benz, Auto Union, and Ferrari teams all sent three cars and the event drew a very large crowd. However, politics and the ensuing war meant the end of Grand Prix motor racing in the country for fifty years
Grand Prix History
The Hungaroring held its first Grand Prix in 1986 and has since been ever-present on the Formula One calendar.
The circuit is a modern complex and facilities are good. But overtaking is difficult and this often turns the races here into a procession from the grid.
Grand Prix Information
Laps 70
Circuit length 4.38 km (2.72 miles)
Race length 306.66 km (190.55 miles)
Most wins by single driver Michael Schumacher (4)
Most wins by single constructor Williams (7)
Lap Record Race 1:19.071
Lap Record Driver Michael Schumacher (2004)
Tires Prime Soft
Tires Optional Super Soft
Budapest technical preview
The Hungaroring offers plenty of challenges to drivers and engineers alike. The circuit features no high-speed corners, leading the team to run the highest possible downforce levels, while the primary concern for the engine team is ensuring good cooling in the usually hot conditions. The high summer temperatures also make life difficult for the drivers, who need to be in peak physical condition to cope with a race that gives them very little respite over its 70-lap distance.

Aerodynamics

The twisting, 14-corner layout of the Hungaroring features just one legitimate overtaking opportunity per lap, into turn 1. Apart from this straight of just over 700m, the circuit is filled with sequences of low to medium-speed corners, with short braking distances which make overtaking nearly impossible. The result is that the teams all run with maximum downforce levels, similar if not identical to those used in Monaco, in order to optimise not just cornering speeds, but also braking and traction. Maximum speeds achieved on the main straight rarely exceed 300kph with the V8 engines.

Suspension
Mechanical grip is an important factor at a low-speed circuit such as this, and teams will generally try to run the car with softer settings all round to improve mechanical grip. The drivers want a responsive car in the low-speed sections, with good traction on corner exit, which will usually lead the teams to a forward mechanical bias (stiffer front/softer rear) in terms of set-up. However, rear tyre wear must be monitored very carefully, particularly to avoid overloading the softer compound available this weekend.

Tyres
Bridgestone will bring the Soft and Super Soft compounds from its 2008 range, as were used in Monaco and Canada. The low-grip circuit conditions, coupled with the absence of high-speed corners, make these choices possible. As has become customary, the tyre management challenge for the weekend will be to control graining on the softest compound, and this should improve as the circuit rubbers-in throughout the weekend. Data collected during practice will determine whether the super-soft is suitable for use during the majority of the race, while cooler-than-expected temperatures, or overnight rain washing the circuit clean of rubber, could further complicate matters.

Cooling
Another important chassis parameter will be ensuring good cooling of the mechanical parts. Although the car's cooling capacity is now well-known, attention must be paid to ensuring the radiators are still well-cooled in spite of the high levels of front downforce we run at this circuit. This will have been the object of particular attention in the wind tunnel, and will be fine-tuned during the weekend to ensure the cooling solution required brings the minimum performance penalty.

Engine
With the longest period spent at full throttle barely exceeding ten seconds, and with only 56% of the lap spent at full throttle (significantly lower than the average), this is not a demanding circuit for the engine. Of the 14 corners, five are taken in second gear at around 100kph. Unlike Monaco, where the cars reach abnormally slow speeds in the hairpins, the minimum speed at the Hungaroring is approximately 90kph. This means the engine spends the majority of its time in a relatively narrow operating window between 100kph and 250kph, and the closely-spaced gear ratios we use are selected to ensure optimum performance in this range. As always on a circuit featuring a large number of slow corners, good torque is important to help launch the cars out of the turns.
Current Driver Standings

Current Teams Standings

Winners 1996-2008

Code: Select all

1996: Jacques Villeneuve  Williams-Renault
1997: Jacques Villeneuve  Williams-Renault
1998: Michael Schumacher  Ferrari
1999: Mika Häkkinen  McLaren-Mercedes
2000: Mika Häkkinen  McLaren-Mercedes
2001: Michael Schumacher  Ferrari
2002: Rubens Barrichello  Ferrari
2003: Fernando Alonso  Renault
2004: Michael Schumacher  Ferrari
2005: Kimi Räikkönen  McLaren-Mercedes
2006: Jenson Button  Honda
2007: Lewis Hamilton  McLaren-Mercedes
2008: Heikki Kovaleinen 
Live timing
You can follow live timing at formula1.com official website: http://www.anonym.to/?http://www.formul ... iming.html

F1 Prediction League
Don't forget to submit your predictions http://www.F1zone.net/formel.php

Video Thread
Coming soon...

Questions
1) Who will take Pole and who will win the Race?
2) Jaime Alguersuari has replaced Bourdais at Toro Rosso, where will he finish on his debut?
3) Can Sutil make it into Q3 again?

phil1993

Re: 2009 Hungarian Formula 1 Grand Prix

Post by phil1993 » 17 Jul 2009, 06:37

1) Pole - Hamilton; Win - Hamilton (I'm being hopeful here)
2) 20th in Q1; Last in the race
3) No - Q2 probably

coup
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Re: 2009 Hungarian Formula 1 Grand Prix

Post by coup » 17 Jul 2009, 06:56

1. Button for pole and win, brawn have a new rear wing and diffuser (I think), which might put them back out in front
2. I'll be a bit more positive than phil, and say second to last in the race
3. probably not, unless it rains

it will be interesting to see how much faster toro rosso is, now that they finally have a DDD and the updates red bull had at silverstone

phil1993

Re: 2009 Hungarian Grand Prix

Post by phil1993 » 17 Jul 2009, 07:45

Just thinking, do we have the most winningest field ever? What I mean is, we have 12 out of 20 drivers who have won a grand prix...

Raikkonen, Massa, Hamilton, Kovalainen, Alonso, Kubica, Vettel, Webber, Button, Barrichello, Fisichella, Trulli... quite mixed...

I'm also impressed by Massa this year who I think is driving better than he did last year - he's putting in some mature drivers and with speed that Kimi can't deliver

JoostLamers
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Post by JoostLamers » 17 Jul 2009, 10:12

Hamilton for pole! Flag:##
<<<The flag Lew1s waved at

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 17 Jul 2009, 10:37

JoostLamers
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Post by JoostLamers » 17 Jul 2009, 12:42

Another Qusetion: Will RBR score another 1-2?

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 17 Jul 2009, 12:44

No. Its gonna be close between Brawn, Red Bull and Hamilton and Massa. If Hamilton or Massa can get Q3 on the grid, then he should win

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Ali » 17 Jul 2009, 12:50

McLaren eyeing victory in Hungary
McLaren thinks it will have a car capable of going for victory at the Hungarian Grand Prix thanks to the major step forward it made in Germany last weekend. An upgraded floor and front wing helped lift the performance of the MP4-24 by around 0.7 seconds per lap at the Nurburgring, and hopes have been lifted about its pace for the rest of the season. With the Hungaroring characteristics expected to play to the strengths of the car, hopes are high that the team can set its sight on ending the dominance by Brawn GP and Red Bull Racing. Team principal Martin Whitmarsh said that McLaren approached every race hoping to win - but believed Hungary offered it a genuine chance.
Spoiler:
"There was some progress in Germany and we have to make sure that we keep pushing and have better results in the next race," he told AUTOSPORT. "We always go for the victory, but we don't always have the equipment to go for it. Hopefully in Hungary we will have the equipment to really go for it."

Although McLaren has already begun shifting resources onto its 2010 car, which will look dramatically different from this year's machine, Whitmarsh made it clear that the team would not ease off current development.

"We aren't going to win this year's world championship and we have to do a better job next year," he said. "We have got a lot more effort on next year's programme that we did this time last year, but we have to make sure we don't get distracted

"Have we transformed the car into a race winner? Not quite. Have we made some progress? Yes. Does it demonstrate some of the philosophy that is going into next year's car is the right direction? I think it does. So that is encouraging. We have to make sure we focus on that.

"We will continue to develop this car. We have completely changed the aerodynamic philosophy, the aero flow around the car, and although I am not an aerodynamicist I can see in the data that the guys now are finding performance.

"So we have a fresh start, we have a better baseline and the ability now to develop the car – so I think the car will develop quite a lot in the rest of this year.

"We have to make sure that we invest that development in areas that improve our learning and hopefully lead into the development of next year's car, rather than some of the fiddly bits on this year's car which won't help us next year."

Speaking about the progress with the 2010 machine, Whitmarsh said: "Next year's car is already quite a bit different.

"It is quite a bit different because of the absence of refuelling, but it was also clear to us that next year's car had to be quite a bit different to this year's car.

"You become less risk averse if you are slow – so we are very aggressively attacking next year. If we had at the beginning of this year a highly competitive car you inevitably become cautious in the development of that for next year, but we already decided that whatever happens, next year's car is going to look quite a bit different from this one."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/76993
/////////

Raikkonen eyes podium in Hungary
Kimi Raikkonen is hopeful of challenging for his second podium finish of the season in next week's Hungarian Grand Prix. The Finn believes that the Hungaroring will be well-suited to the Ferrari F60, which is at its most competitive on lower-speed circuits. "The F60 should run pretty well at the Hungaroring with its many slow corners," said Raikkonen.
Spoiler:
"Furthermore, the temperatures should be slightly higher than at the weekend in Germany: it would be great to gain another podium."

Raikkonen added that he was pleased with the progress of development of the F60, although it is still at an aerodynamic disadvantage in high-speed corners.

"I'll show up with a new rear wing, which worked really well on Felipe [Massa's] car and there's the possibility that we'll have further modifications," he said.

"The F60 had some updates [in Germany] and the set up was pretty much ok, but we're still paying a high price in terms of downforce as you could see in some sectors of the track."

The 2007 world champion is keen to put his bad luck in grands prix on German soil behind him.

In 15 F1 starts on German soil, he has finished in the points just four times and never finished higher than third. At the Nurburgring last weekend, he retired with a holed radiator while on course for a points finish.

"There curse that seems to follow me in Germany struck again," said Raikkonen. "I finished races at Hockenheim and the Nurburgring only a few times. Obviously I'm not lucky there."

He was also involved in a collision with Force India's Adrian Sutil as the German rejoined the track from the pit-lane at Turn 1. Raikkonen said that he agreed with the stewards that it was a racing incident.

"He came out of the box while I was on my line," said Raikkonen. "He tried to defend his position on the inside. The cars collided and he lost a bit of his front wing, while the side of mine was slightly damaged.

"With these wide wings it's quite easy to collide and break them. I went with Adrian to meet the stewards and we thought that it was a normal race accident, as indeed did the stewards."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/76983
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it by not dying" -Woody Allen

JoostLamers
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Post by JoostLamers » 17 Jul 2009, 12:54

phil1993 wrote:No. Its gonna be close between Brawn, Red Bull and Hamilton and Massa. If Hamilton or Massa can get Q3 on the grid, then he should win
I think McLaren will want Hamilton on pole, but a bad stategy won't bring him the podium I think. Hungary will be hot I think so Button will be top

JoostLamers
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Post by JoostLamers » 17 Jul 2009, 13:16

Haug: "No McLaren win"
Spoiler:
“The Grand Prix circuit just outside Budapest is, after Monaco, the one with the lowest average speed. The layout, consisting of more slower corners, where mechanical grip is especially important, should suit us quite well – as demonstrated already in Monaco. However, I currently would consider our technical performance still not good enough to repeat last year’s victory with Heikki – but in any case we at least have been in the lead for a few metres at the Nürburgring - until Lewis’s right-rear tyre was hit which caused a deflated tyre, damaging the underfloor – which prevented Lewis later from achieving good lap times. Everybody in the team is giving it their all to continue the upward trend with both cars.”

http://www.mclaren.com/latestnews/mclaren-news.php?article=327

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 17 Jul 2009, 13:56

Toro Rosso expects a big step in Hungary
Spoiler:
Toro Rosso's technical upgrades in Hungary in two weeks could amount to nearly a full second per lap, according to Swiss driver Sebastien Buemi.

It is already known that the Faenza team will finally fit a double diffuser to its car at the next race. But it also emerges that the new package will involve most of the recent developments featured on the dominant sister car of Red Bull Renault, including the fatter front nose.

The urgency of the Toro Rosso upgrade is that the Ferrari-powered team has at recent races dropped clearly behind Force India.

Force India's business director Ian Phillips believes Force India has found 1.7 seconds since the beginning of the 2009 season, culminating in Adrian Sutil's impressive seventh grid position with a heavy load of fuel.

"The modified car brings us nine tenths," rookie Buemi told Auto Motor und Sport, "and I would be happy if it was only seven."

Toro Rosso is ninth in the championship with five points but the last three events have been disappointing with a 15th position the best result.
http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/n ... 5037.shtml

sejtur
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by sejtur » 17 Jul 2009, 14:33

I wonder who still cares for STR now Vettel is gone...

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 17 Jul 2009, 14:35

[quote="iceman1"]Toro Rosso expects a big step in Hungary

which way? I'd say Buemi forwards, Alguesuari back... well... um, not very well