2009 Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

2009 Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix

Post by iceman1 » 20 Apr 2009, 12:55

The Bahrain Grand Prix is a Formula One Championship race which first took place at the Bahrain International Circuit on 4 April 2004.

The Bahrain Grand Prix, sponsored by Gulf Air, made history as the first Formula One Grand Prix to be held in the Middle East. Bahrain fought off fierce competition from elsewhere in the region to stage the race, with Egypt, Lebanon and the United Arab Emirates all hoping for the prestige of hosting a Formula One Grand Prix.

The inaugural race was given the award for the "Best Organised Grand Prix" by the FIA.

The Bahrain Grand Prix has usually been the third race of the Formula One calendar, taking the spot of the Brazilian Grand Prix, which was moved in 2004 to October. However, in the 2006 season, Bahrain swapped places with the traditional opener, the Australian Grand Prix, which was pushed back to avoid a clash with the Commonwealth Games.

History
The building of the Sakhir track was started in 2002 with high domestic interest about the project as it gave a future to the next generation of Bahraini racers. By the completion of the project, the Circuit soon outshadowed the Kuwait Circuit and became the center of motor sport in the Persian Gulf, as it held many other races such as drag races, GT races, Formula 3 races and the Australian V8 Supercar series.

The first race was in 2004 and it was won by German driver Michael Schumacher. Fernando Alonso won the second Bahrain Grand Prix in 2005, and then became the first repeat winner of the Middle Eastern race in 2006, after a thrilling race-long battle with Michael Schumacher. In 2007 and 2008, Brazilian Felipe Massa won the race for Ferrari.

Characteristics
A characteristic of the course is the giant run-off areas, which has been criticised for not punishing drivers who stray off the track, although this has made Bahrain one of the safest tracks in the world, and tends to prevent sand getting onto the track.

The drivers do not spray the traditional champagne on the podium, although alcoholic beverages are legal in Bahrain, in contrast to neighbouring Qatar and Saudi Arabia. Instead, they spray a non-alcoholic rosewater drink known as Waard.
Race Information

Last Race

Winners of the Bahrain Grand Prix

Repeat winners (drivers)

Repeat winners (constructors)

Year by year

Support races
Formula BMW Asia supported the Bahrain Grand Prix in 2004, with Hong Kong driver Marchy Lee winning both rounds. But the series had logistical problems after the race, when the cars were delayed on their way to Malaysia, missing the next event and had to reschedule the rest of the season. Formula BMW Asia has not supported the Bahrain Grand Prix since, but the first ever Formula BMW World Final was held in Bahrain. The Porsche Supercup has supported the 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 races. The GP2 Series supported the race in 2007 and a celebrity race was held in 2006 with the likes of Simon Webbe competing.

Further support for the 2008 event was provided by the GP2 Asia, Speedcar Series and a series using Australian built Chevrolet Luminas.
Onboard Lap with Sato
Spoiler:
Weather : http://www.bahrainweather.com/
More information : http://www.bahraingp.com.bh

harrisv48
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Re: 2009 FORMULA 1™ Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix

Post by harrisv48 » 20 Apr 2009, 13:52

Red Bull will win again this Gp :thumbsup:

shailf1
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by shailf1 » 20 Apr 2009, 14:46

i would say toyota, they tested here and they are seemingly good in hot conditions..

sejtur
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by sejtur » 20 Apr 2009, 14:57

I think that Ferrari will score at least 1 point sunday.
They're better when it's hot. tssssssss :lol:

Zack
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Post by Zack » 20 Apr 2009, 15:01

Ferrari will score first point ...keeping figure cross!
Better than a thousand hollow words is one word that brings PEACE -Buddha
There is no point in defining a point... But there is a point in trying -Zack

ImageImage
[Videos]

Donate & support us
-ZACK- IO

AzShadow

Post by AzShadow » 20 Apr 2009, 15:06

Well, they've never been without points from the first four races. So it would be the first time and also the worst start ever for them if they're out of points again. It's also interesting to note that previously it was harder to get points because you had to be in top 6 where as now you only have to be in top 8.

Zack
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Post by Zack » 20 Apr 2009, 15:32

Scoring single point is still very tough ..ask Force India ;)

I think RBR will be team to beat once again ....

3d Lap Bahrain : Williams
Better than a thousand hollow words is one word that brings PEACE -Buddha
There is no point in defining a point... But there is a point in trying -Zack

ImageImage
[Videos]

Donate & support us
-ZACK- IO

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Ali » 20 Apr 2009, 17:36

Ferrari, BMW and Toyota might capitalize their Bahrain test days so I expect Toyota to be stronger than ever. But I'm not sure about BMW and Ferrari. Ferrari will use KERS and given that their wet pace was not bad at all, they can have a real point possibility or even podium. Ferrari have been strong in Bahrain.

Red Bull's relative long wheelbase design might give an edge to them in Bahrain's high speed corners so Vettel will surely be fast. Brawns will also be fast but this will be the fourth race so, reliability could be an issue for them in terms of gear box and breakes as Bahrain will be hard on breakes.

Williams: "The track is a complex mix of 15 slow and medium speed corners connected by three high speed straights, the fastest of which will see the cars peak at 320kph at the end of the pit straight going into turn one. With the lowest cornering speed registered at just above 100kph at Sakhir’s turn five, and taken in first gear, the number of extreme braking events is high so brake preservation is paramount. Due to the long, high speed stretches, each lap will demand a full throttle percentage of 62%; combined with the braking, cooling and sand variables, engine reliability will be a considerable factor in the race’s outcome."
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it by not dying" -Woody Allen

TwistedArmco
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by TwistedArmco » 20 Apr 2009, 18:02

Zack wrote:Ferrari will score first point ...keeping figure cross!
You're keeping your figure crossed? That must be far more painful than keeping your fingers crossed. :p
No, I'm not calmer. Just more jaded.

Totopupu
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Totopupu » 20 Apr 2009, 18:06

I think that Massa can win in Bahrein
Jean Todt, Ross Brawn, Rory Byrne, Michael Schumacher = DREAM TEAM

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Ali » 20 Apr 2009, 18:12

TwistedArmco wrote:
You're keeping your figure crossed? That must be far more painful than keeping your fingers crossed. :p
:)

Ferrari will be 1-2 in Bahrain :p My fingers are already crossed.
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it by not dying" -Woody Allen

sejtur
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by sejtur » 20 Apr 2009, 18:17

Ali wrote:
TwistedArmco wrote:
:)

Ferrari will be 1-2 in Bahrain :p My fingers are already crossed.
I'd cross my toes too for that one. :lol:

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 20 Apr 2009, 18:23

Totopupu wrote:I think that Massa can win in Bahrein
Yes, either here or his love track Istanbul. If the car performs badly on these tracks and they cannot scrape points then it really will be game over. they're already 21 pts behind JB in a far inferior car to at least 2 teams

megasyxx
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by megasyxx » 20 Apr 2009, 18:24

Ali wrote:
TwistedArmco wrote:
man, that will definitely make me crossed! :<>: :lol:

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 20 Apr 2009, 18:34

McLaren & Renault are getting there with the diffusers and certainly will be looking at understanding the car a bit more, So a stronger weekend for them perhaps.