2009 ING Australian Grand Prix

hannibal_rising
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Re: 2009 FORMULA 1 ING Australian Grand Prix

Post by hannibal_rising » 02 Apr 2009, 13:20

joostlamers wrote:To start: Hamilton was wrong, he shouldn't have lied. But then to reward him for his magnificent performance, to drive from 18th up 4th, by a disqualification is absurd. Give the man a Fine!! That's what they would have done if it was a Ferrari driver, for sure! It's so cowardly to always get Hamilton. They just keep looking for things he has done wrong! I can't stand this! One big farce!

Both pilots, Trulli and Hamilton solve this on the track during the race, and nobody asked stewards to review the situation... nor Kubica asked anything about Vettel... Why stewards think they have to review things if nobody is asking them anything???

Moreover, shouldn't stewards decide these things having all the information needed??? How in hell can they decide something if they don't review the basic information they need to decide things, such as radio communications, videos and any other useful information??

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Ali » 02 Apr 2009, 13:24

Transcript of McLaren radio transmission
Transcript of the radio transmission between Lewis Hamilton and McLaren during the Australian Grand Prix:

Team: OK Lewis, you should need to make sure your delta is positive over the safety car line. After the safety car line the delta doesn't matter but no overtaking. No overtaking.

Lewis Hamilton: The Toyota went off in a line at the second corner, ..., is this OK?

Team: Understood, Lewis. We'll confirm and get back to you.

LH: He was off the track. He went wide.

Team: Lewis, you need to allow the Toyota through. Allow the Toyota through now.

LH: OK.

LH: He's slowed right down in front of me.

Team: OK, Lewis. Stay ahead for the time being. Stay ahead. We will get back to you. We are talking to Charlie.

LH: I let him past already.

Team: OK, Lewis. That's fine. That's fine. Hold position. Hold position.

LH: Tell Charlie I already overtook him. I just let him past.

Team: I understand Lewis. We are checking. Now can we go to yellow G 5, yellow Golf 5.

LH: I don't have to let him past I should be able to take that position back, if he made a mistake.

Team: Yes, we understand Lewis. Let's just do it by the book. We are asking Charlie now. You are in P4. If you hold this position. Just keep it together.

Team: OK Lewis, your KERS is full, your KERS is full. Just be aware. You can go back to black F2, black Foxtrott 2.

LH: Any news from Charlie whether I can take it back or not.

Team: Still waiting on a response Lewis, still waiting.

Team: Lewis, work on your brakes please. Front brakes are cold.

Team: If we are able to use one KERS that would be good. If you deploy KERS please do so now.

Team: OK, Lewis, this is the last lap of the race. At the end of the lap the safety car will come in, you just proceed over the line without overtaking, without overtaking. We are looking into the Trulli thing, but just hold position.
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it by not dying" -Woody Allen

AzShadow

Post by AzShadow » 02 Apr 2009, 13:29

hannibal_rising wrote: Moreover, shouldn't stewards decide these things having all the information needed??? How in hell can they decide something if they don't review the basic information they need to decide things, such as radio communications, videos and any other useful information??
They had every information from interviews to radio transmissions and videos.

hannibal_rising
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by hannibal_rising » 02 Apr 2009, 13:31

AzShadow wrote:
hannibal_rising wrote: Moreover, shouldn't stewards decide these things having all the information needed??? How in hell can they decide something if they don't review the basic information they need to decide things, such as radio communications, videos and any other useful information??

When?? Certainly not when they penalized Trulli... After how many days they had all the information?

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Ali » 02 Apr 2009, 13:34

hannibal_rising wrote:
AzShadow wrote:

When?? Certainly not when they penalized Trulli... After how many days they had all the information?
Yes, they didn't have enough information while deciding. Here what they say:
At the first hearing following the Australian Grand Prix the Stewards did not have the benefit of the radio exchanges between driver No 1 Lewis Hamilton and his Team Vodafone McLaren Mercedes nor did they have access to the comments to the Media given by Lewis Hamilton immediately after the end of the race.
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it by not dying" -Woody Allen

TwistedArmco
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by TwistedArmco » 02 Apr 2009, 14:26

Full statement from the FIA:
During the hearing, held approximately one hour after the end of the race, the Stewards and the Race Director questioned Lewis Hamilton and his Team Manager David Ryan specifically about whether there had been an instruction given to Hamilton to allow Trulli to overtake. Both the driver and the Team Manager stated that no such instruction had been given. The Race Director specifically asked Hamilton whether he had consciously allowed Trulli to overtake. Hamilton insisted that he had not done so.

The new elements presented to the Stewards several days after the 2009 Australian Grand Prix which led to the reconvened Stewards Meeting clearly show that:

a. Immediately after the race and before Lewis Hamilton attended the Stewards Meeting he gave an interview to the Media where he clearly stated that the Team had told him to let Trulli pass.

b. Furthermore, the radio exchanges between the driver and the Team contain two explicit orders from the Team to let the Toyota pass.
What a dolt, telling the media about it.. :roll::

I think the key thing here is that McLaren and Hamilton lied to get Trulli a penalty and to get one more point! I know it's Hamilton, again being punished, but seriously, why do that just to get one more point?? They deserve everything they got.
No, I'm not calmer. Just more jaded.

AzShadow

Post by AzShadow » 02 Apr 2009, 14:35

Yeah, that's what surprises me too. It was the first race of the season and yet one point was so important for them. Obviously they won the last championship by one point, but I really don't think it's worth to risk it in the first grand prix right away. If you get to 4th from 18th with a horrible car, you should be more than happy about it.
http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/090402145024.shtml wrote: Further action against Hamilton possible

A spokesman for F1's governing body late Thursday would not rule out ‘further action’ against McLaren Mercedes and Lewis Hamilton.

Following a reconvened stewards hearing at Sepang, the reigning world champion was excluded from the results of the Australian Grand Prix, having been found guilty of ‘deliberately misleading’ the Melbourne inquiry.

"We could not rule out further action at this stage," the spokesman said in Malaysia.

It is Hamilton and McLaren's breach of article 151c of the International Sporting Code that could carry penalties ranging from reprimands to total exclusion from the championship.

Rumours at Sepang suggested the matter could be referred by the FIA to the World Motor Sport Council.

Fergie1
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Fergie1 » 02 Apr 2009, 15:34

lol what a complete knob. :lol:
Last edited by Fergie1 on 02 Apr 2009, 15:34, edited 1 time in total.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 02 Apr 2009, 15:34

I think its a ridiculous situation having had so many controversies after one race. This "sport" has become a shambles and is being decided by some men in suits who are lacking the IQ of a sloth. The fans have a good race only to be informed that the result has changed 4 days later. Not good.

AzShadow

Post by AzShadow » 02 Apr 2009, 15:42

I don't see what difference it makes if they decide about it a few hours or a few days after the race is over. Besides, this has been done for years already so there's really nothing new into it. It is curious to see so many penalties in the opening grand prix yes, but changing the results and demoting Hamilton isn't anything special really. I don't find it a very good argument if this delay is to defend Hamilton's and McLaren's actions.

hannibal_rising
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by hannibal_rising » 02 Apr 2009, 15:45

AzShadow wrote:I don't see what difference it makes if they decide about it a few hours or a few days after the race is over. Besides, this has been done for years already so there's really nothing new into it. It is curious to see so many penalties in the opening grand prix yes, but changing the results and demoting Hamilton isn't anything special really. I don't find it a very good argument if this delay is to defend Hamilton's and McLaren's actions.

I think the question is why they review things that nobody asked them... All teams had accepted their results. :confused:

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 02 Apr 2009, 15:46

'The Team mistakenly believed that the radio transmissions had been reviewed by the FIA on Sunday 29th March 2009, and consequently did not believe it was necessary to discuss them with the Stewards on that date.'

So its the steward's mistake as well.

Why can't we have good stewards who make proper conclusions, rather than amend the results a few days later. So the fans think that Hamilton has 6 points, only to be told later (4 days) that he hasn't.

I'm not necessarily defending McLaren's actions - but its the misinterpretation here that could potentially decide a world championship. A fair result would be to keep the original points of Trulli 6, Hamilton 5.

Tommi
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by Tommi » 02 Apr 2009, 15:48

Hamilton fanboys... :zz:

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 02 Apr 2009, 15:51

Yes, thats me. I am a Brit, so I am a Hamilton fan...

What I'm saying is that whilst the actions cannot be defended, it seems that nothing can be resolved fairly. The fair thing to do would be to reclassify LH 4th as it was a misinterpretation between McLaren and the Stewards, whilst the FIA have accused McLaren of 'lying', which they didn't do.