2008 FORMULA 1 Belgian Grand Prix

Who will win the 2008 FORMULA 1 Belgian Grand Prix ?

Poll ended at 07 Sep 2008, 15:34

Lewis Hamilton
25%
Felipe Massa
33%
Kimi Räikkönen
31%
Robert Kubica
6%
Heikki Kovalainen
No votes
Nick Heidfeld
2%
Jarno Trulli
1%
Fernando Alonso
1%
Mark Webber
No votes
Timo Glock
No votes

Total votes: 87

JoostLamers
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Re: 2008 FORMULA 1 Belgian Grand Prix

Post by JoostLamers » 09 Sep 2008, 14:21

These are the last words from me about the Belgium GP:
Hamilton drove the last laps in the rain as a giant world champ, we do not see Felipe Massa doing that sorts of things, Raikkonen has done it, Alonso, Schumacher, but not Felipe. And it really is a shame that he got punished for his drive... I am really disappointed in F1...
<<<The flag Lew1s waved at

Tommi
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by Tommi » 09 Sep 2008, 14:27

Hamilton got advantage by cutting the chicane, and also you can see from the onboard video that he had chance to drive the chicane normally (and lose time to Kimi by doing that), but he didn't do that, he choosed to cut and get advantage from that so the penalty is right decision. :D

Edit: Here is what Trulli said:
"In my opinion Hamilton got an advantage by cutting the chicane," Trulli told Gazzetta dello Sport. "Had he stayed on the road, he wouldn't have had the speed to overtake the Ferrari.

"In the same way at Monza someone could cut the first chicane, catch a rival's draft, and overtake him under braking at Roggia."

Massa:
"If Lewis had taken the chicane correctly, he would never have been able to pass Kimi on the very short straight that follows it."

And that's true, so don't cry about the decision.

syncmaster
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by syncmaster » 09 Sep 2008, 14:36

joostlamers wrote:These are the last words from me about the Belgium GP:
Hamilton drove the last laps in the rain as a giant world champ, we do not see Felipe Massa doing that sorts of things, Raikkonen has done it, Alonso, Schumacher, but not Felipe. And it really is a shame that he got punished for his drive... I am really disappointed in F1...
I dont see any reason by which Massa should dragged into this topic.Hamilton penalty is different from Massa wining at spa,U can say thats their luck
Desire has no limits

TwistedArmco
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by TwistedArmco » 09 Sep 2008, 15:14

Doesn't prove anything, doesn't mean I am of this opinion. But this is JT's extended take on things:
Jarno Trulli wrote:"In my opinion Hamilton got an advantage by cutting the chicane. Had he stayed on the road, he wouldn't have had the speed to overtake the Ferrari. In the same way at Monza someone could cut the first chicane, catch a rival's draft, and overtake him under braking at Roggia.

When you attack on the outside, you do it at your own risk, because who's on the inside has the right to do the corner. If there isn't enough room, then you lift. Had there been a wall there, instead of the surfaced escape route, would Lewis have attacked anyway? Had there been gravel, he wouldn't have had the chance to attack when rejoining the track because of dirty tyres."
No, I'm not calmer. Just more jaded.

Zack
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Post by Zack » 09 Sep 2008, 15:16

I m very happy with what Massa did .. handle the situation with maturity and anyways he was on safe mode.On other hand i agree Hamilton drove very well but "giant world champ" ..should be reserved for Silverstone type of performance...don't you think so?

In Gp2 Maldonado let Zuber pass after driving straight thru chicane ..i think thats the way it should be done to avoid penalty :p
Better than a thousand hollow words is one word that brings PEACE -Buddha
There is no point in defining a point... But there is a point in trying -Zack

ImageImage
[Videos]

Donate & support us
-ZACK- IO

Fergie1
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Fergie1 » 09 Sep 2008, 15:46

Zack wrote:F1 world should accept the steward's decision.
"In the end, what they say is always fair, whether you like it or not" - Alonso
Why should we? Its down right wrong.

Zack
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Post by Zack » 09 Sep 2008, 15:58

Fergie1 wrote:
Zack wrote:F1 world should accept the steward's decision.
"In the end, what they say is always fair, whether you like it or not" - Alonso
Why should we? Its down right wrong.
thats what Alonso had to say ...copy pasted from news site :n
Better than a thousand hollow words is one word that brings PEACE -Buddha
There is no point in defining a point... But there is a point in trying -Zack

ImageImage
[Videos]

Donate & support us
-ZACK- IO

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Ali » 09 Sep 2008, 16:07

Surinder Thathi, one of the three stewards of Belgium GP says:
We had a choice to mete out a time penalty or 10 grid places in the next grand prix race. We opted for the former and handed a time penalty of 25 seconds.

I know I am a very unpopular person in the United Kingdom now, but then I was doing my job and I know I acted professionally.
10 grid place penalty would be fair. I wish they handed this, instead of a time penalty. Having said that, I don't accuse FIA stewards. That's their decision but I would prefer the other way around.
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it by not dying" -Woody Allen

Fergie1
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Fergie1 » 09 Sep 2008, 16:19

Ali wrote:Surinder Thathi, one of the three stewards of Belgium GP says:
We had a choice to mete out a time penalty or 10 grid places in the next grand prix race. We opted for the former and handed a time penalty of 25 seconds.

I know I am a very unpopular person in the United Kingdom now, but then I was doing my job and I know I acted professionally.
10 grid place penalty would be fair. I wish they handed this, instead of a time penalty. Having said that, I don't accuse FIA stewards. That's their decision but I would prefer the other way around.
Why would a 10 place grid penalty be fair? Gad damn it a 25 second peanlty wasn't fair either. They didn't HAVE to give a penalty.

shailf1
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by shailf1 » 09 Sep 2008, 16:21

Zack wrote:
I m very happy with what Massa did .. handle the situation with maturity and anyways he was on safe mode.On other hand i agree Hamilton drove very well but "giant world champ" ..should be reserved for Silverstone type of performance...don't you think so?

In Gp2 Maldonado let Zuber pass after driving straight thru chicane ..i think thats the way it should be done to avoid penalty :p
can you find a video for that? i would really like to see that.

MP4/4#12
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by MP4/4#12 » 09 Sep 2008, 16:24

Thanks for the 92 race video. Senna was wrong that day opting to stay on slicks but that was great to watch anyway. This Hamilton penalty discussion has become really boring, move on Hami fans !!!!!!

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 09 Sep 2008, 16:34

According to ITV-F1 McLaren had submitted their telementary data to the FIA Stewards, which showed how much Lewis was braking/slowing down during the chicane. They are launching the appeal because they feel this information has been ignored in making the decision to penalise Lewis.

at this time there is 10363 people who think that penalty is wrong …

http://www.petitiononline.com/belgp08/petition.html

Burgerlim
kart driver
kart driver

Post by Burgerlim » 09 Sep 2008, 16:40

agree here... its getting very boring now. i dun think its fair to hand down the penalty too but i think the whole F1 as a sport lately been really heading south in search for $. So lets enjoy it while we could.. :)

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 09 Sep 2008, 16:43

iceman, i signed it and there have been 23,750 people signed

Fergie1
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Fergie1 » 09 Sep 2008, 16:49

phil1993 wrote:iceman, i signed it and there have been 23,750 people signed
Can't believe its still shooting up.