Other
1%

Total votes: 76

Silver Shadow
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Re: 2008 Petrol Ofisi Turkish Grand Prix

Post by Silver Shadow » 11 May 2008, 14:55

That was a good race. 4 leaders in Massa, Raikkonen, Hamilton and Kubica. It's nice to see that it's not just McLaren vs. Ferrari this year. It's more like McLaren vs. Ferrari vs. BMW, but the latter have a long way to go...

Lilellatho
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Lilellatho » 11 May 2008, 15:09

It was a good race and the different strategies played a big role in this.

Well, congrats to Felipe, solid race but he should have been able to keep Lewis behind at that point. :tired: He gave away a possible 1-2 for his team so...

I for one thought Lewis had the best race out of the top 3. He was on a risky strategy that would only have worked if he was on pole after quali, which he messed up with tyre choice.
Nice pass on Massa also but I'm sure Kimi would have given him more of a fight with that one. Anyway, :thumbsup: to him.

As far as Kimi is concerned, I thought he did ok. After the poor quali (which has been put into perspective a bit considering he was the heaviest out of the first four) and not so much a poor start (he got off the line quite well) but because of wrong track position at the start, this was still a good result.
Pity that the contact between Heikki and Kimi resulted in problems for both of them, one with a puncture and the other one with a damaged front wing.

Heikki seemed to have inherited the bad luck at Macca mantle from Kimi :tired: Awesome quali for him, but the contact at the start and Macca's stupid strategy (what was up with that??? )screwed his race. Nice passes though :thumbsup:

Poor weekend for BMW, as I expected.

Looking forward to Monaco now :cool:

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 11 May 2008, 15:10

iceman1 wrote:OK i am Here for 15 Mins :p

3 stopper for Hamilton due to advice from Bridgestone in an effort to avoid a similar incident to last year.
Kimi broke his front wing due to his contact with Heikki, but they didn't change it due to the fact it would take too long.
hmmm, i wondered why kimi was a bit slow! great drive from massa, but superb from Hamilton. making an extra stop whilst only finishing 5 seconds behind. AND VETTEL FINISHED!!!!!!!- although he did get a puncture at turn 1. unlucky for Kovy :sad:

Massa deserves credit after getting 28pts from 30. How long until he overtakes Raikkonen?? Hamilton needs to win the next 2 circuits which favour McLaren.
I wouldnt be surprised if BMW were 2nd best to McLaren in Monte and Montreal- they are always quick there

Lilellatho
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Lilellatho » 11 May 2008, 15:20

phil1993 wrote:
Massa deserves credit after getting 28pts from 30. How long until he overtakes Raikkonen?? Hamilton needs to win the next 2 circuits which favour McLaren.
I wouldnt be surprised if BMW were 2nd best to McLaren in Monte and Montreal- they are always quick there
Hmm, why are you including only the last three races? Both Kimi and Massa had only one mechanical retirement and this seasion, so 40 points possible for both. Kimi has 35 and Felipe 28 :wave:

phil1993

2008 Petrol Ofisi Turkish Grand Prix

Post by phil1993 » 11 May 2008, 15:22

MP4/4#12 wrote:Why on earth Mclaren pitted Heikki one lap after the SC entered the pit ? What happened ? Good race from Hamilton, trying something else to win ( Schumi hungary 98 ?), but Ferrari is a bit stronger though. Kubica, Alonso and Rosberg made nice races too.
Heikki got a puncture after contact with Raikkonen into turn 1

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 11 May 2008, 15:27

Lilellatho wrote:
phil1993 wrote:
Hmm, why are you including only the last three races? Both Kimi and Massa had only one mechanical retirement and this seasion, so 40 points possible for both. Kimi has 35 and Felipe 28 :wave:
true, but i mean out of the last three races hes been 1, 2, 1. yes, i see your point but he has done well after his first 2 races DNF. Championship is Raikkonen (35), Massa (28, 2 wins), Hamilton (28, 1 win), Kubica (24), Heidfeld (20), Kovalainen (14), Webber (10), Alonso (9)

Lilellatho
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Lilellatho » 11 May 2008, 15:28

Hey, does anyone else think it would have been better for Ferrari to use the hards in the first two stints like the others did? Felipe himself said in the press conference that he felt the hard tyres gave the car a better balance, so maybe it would have been a better choice.

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 11 May 2008, 15:38

The perfect sponsor :

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 11 May 2008, 15:39

ha lol!!!!

Arrows_F1
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Arrows_F1 » 11 May 2008, 15:51

a very good race. of course the start crash was rather spectacular moment, there were also some good overtaking scenes during the race. unfortunately there was no rain, however the humidity was over 50 % during the whole race. heidfeld and hamilton had very good strategies (hamilton got between the two ferraris, heidfeld got up to fifth position). also a good job of alonso and of webber (alonso 6th place, webber 7th place) and also of rosberg, who got the last WDCC point in 8th place (starting from 11th). However, Massa did the best job finishing the race first (he won the turkish grand prix for the third time).
Barrichello finished his 257th race 14th behind glock and in front of piquet jr.
Vettel finished his first race of the 2008 season in 17th position
All in all it was a good race but not the most exciting one :nosweat: Flag:##

phil1993

2008 Petrol Ofisi Turkish Grand Prix

Post by phil1993 » 11 May 2008, 16:11

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2008/5/7770.html wrote: Felipe Massa, Ferrari (1st):
To follow.

Lewis Hamilton, McLaren (2nd):
“I am so thrilled with today’s result, and I think this is the best race ever for me. It’s not about winning, it’s about feeling that you extract 100% from yourself and the car and I did that today. Before the race our prediction was that all being well I would finish fifth, so second is such a bonus. I was not happy with my performance yesterday and perhaps if I had managed to get the car on pole I could have won. However, we knew that we would have to use a three stop strategy as a precaution as we had some issues with our tyres. The team did a fantastic job, the pitstops were great, and the balance of the car was superb, and we all kept our spirit up. There were no problems with the tyres in the race. I managed to overtake Felipe at one point, and I really think we have closed the gap to Ferrari. I am so excited about the next race in Monaco and just can’t wait.”

Kimi Raikkonen, Ferrari (3rd):
To follow.

Robert Kubica, BMW Sauber (4th):
"Today the pace of the car was much better than in yesterday's third qualifying session. I was happy with its balance. I made a very good start and managed to gain two positions. I was then racing Kimi Raikkonen, but he pitted later and overtook me at the pit stop. I was then a little bit slower than the three guys in front of me, but quicker than the rest of the pack. This was the maximum possible for me today."

Nick Heidfeld, BMW Sauber (5th):
“This is what I hoped for from ninth on the grid. To finish fifth was the best I could achieve today. I wanted to overtake Jarno Trulli at the start and this worked, then I gained two more positions during the pit stops. After the first stint I had a pretty lonely race and in the end I was even able to reduce the engine revs.”

Fernando Alonso, Renault (6th):
“We were on the pace this weekend and scored some valuable points today, which confirms the progress we have made recently and is thanks to the hard work of everyone in the team. I made a good start, which was essential for a strong race and after that everything went smoothly. We had a good strategy, the car was well balanced and there were no problems with the tyres, so I am happy. Now we must continue working hard to catch up with the leading teams, but we are in good shape.”

Mark Webber, Red Bull (7th):
“I’m happy to get two points. It wasn’t the most exciting race; I was just trying to hold on to Fernando (Alonso), which wasn’t easy as he was a bit too strong for us today. It would have been nice to be able to fight him a little bit more. I was cruising a little in the last stint, as Rosberg wasn’t a threat. Getting more points is good for the team, especially after the way they turned my car round after my shunt on Friday, but we’re not satisfied with getting just points now - we want to get more. But, I have the same number of points that I had in total last year, so we’re doing okay.”

Nico Rosberg, Williams (8th):
“I am happy with my result. I had a fantastic first lap, although I very nearly lost it all when Heidfeld went wide while I was alongside him. He didn’t know I was there, so I had to go off the track. When I came back on, I was all over the place but I then passed Coulthard and Trulli on the outside of Turn Three. I gave it my all on every lap and it was a fantastic race for me today. Anymore, though, is just not possible at the moment, but I am looking forward to the next two races which traditionally suit our car.”

David Coulthard, Red Bull (9th):
“I just missed out on points today, which is frustrating, but I’ve looked around my car and there’s no damage, so at least we finished a race without colliding with anyone! I raced as hard as I could. I dropped half a second just before my second pit stop and came out just behind Nico (Rosberg), which was probably the deciding factor. I think the strategy guys did a good job today, I just wasn’t able to eek the last little bit of pace out of the car. I had a little bit of understeer and difficult drivability getting the throttle open, which cost a tenth of a second per lap.”

Jarno Trulli, Toyota (10th):
“My race was spoiled at the start. There was a bit of confusion in the first corner, I think I was touched by a car and I lost three positions. That was it for my race because after that I couldn't do anything to make up the ground. From the first lap to the last I tried to push to find a way past Coulthard. We were quite close but unfortunately with these cars as soon as you get two lengths behind the other car you just lose grip and start going off. I kept pushing as hard as possible all race but this was as good as we could do today."

Jenson Button, Honda (11th):
To follow.

Heikki Kovalainen, McLaren (12th):
“Not a lucky race for me as I made a bad start from the dirty line on the grid. After the start Kimi and I touched slightly which caused a slow puncture to my left-rear tyre. Initially I was not sure whether the tyre was damaged or not, but during the Safety Car period I realised that I had to come into the pits for a new tyre. That was almost it for me, because with my heavy fuel load and the traffic it is extremely difficult to gain any places during the race. However, I did my best but no points. These things happen, and I have had a good weekend and really enjoyed being back in the car. It’s a shame that we were not able to get points today as I have been fast throughout, but I am really optimistic for Monaco.”

Timo Glock, Toyota (13th):
"The pace of the car was not too bad today but the race was just destroyed by being stuck in traffic. I made a slow start and I had to avoid the accident with Fisichella and Nakajima. In the first stint I was behind Barrichello and quicker than him but I could not get past. After the pit stop Button was on soft tyres while we were on hard tyres that were working well and giving us good performance. Unfortunately at that stage I was being lapped by the leaders and the blue flags made it difficult to challenge. All afternoon I had better pace than the cars in front but I wasn't able to show it so this was a disappointing result."

Rubens Barrichello, Honda (14th):
To follow.

Nelson Piquet, Renault (15th):
“I am satisfied with my performance today. My race started badly as I had to avoid the accident at the start which held me up. After that we just stuck to our strategy and tried to make up ground. The most important thing is that I finished the race and I have gained some more experience. I would have liked to finish further up, but I think that my weekend was determined during the qualifying session yesterday. I will make the most of what I have learned this weekend and put it to use at the next Grand Prix in Monaco, which will be an exciting race.”

Adrian Sutil, Force India (16th):
“At the start I saw Giancarlo (Fisichella) going straight over Nakajima and there was debris all over the track, so by turns three and four there were cars all over the place. I had some damage on the front wing when another driver touched me through turn five so had to come in to change the nosecone. Luckily the safety car was out and I didn't lose too much time. During the race my balance was not perfect and I had a lot of understeer I couldn't get rid of, but the middle stint was good as I was catching the group in front. At the end of the race I could keep Vettel behind me so was at least it was one position gained.”

Sebastian Vettel, Toro Rosso (17th):
"I had a good start and then, all of a sudden I realised I had a punctured rear left tyre, so I had to pit immediately. My second problem came at the first pitstop, when the refueling rig had a problem, no fuel went in, so I had to come in immediately again. From then on it was a tough race and I could not have done any better. At least I saw the chequered flag."

Sebastien Bourdais, Toro Rosso (DNF):
"Something broke at the back of the car, I don't know what it was yet. Going into Turn 12, I braked at the usual point and the car went sideways, I felt the right rear corner of the car drop and it spun me round. It's a shame, as up until then it had been going quite well and I was just about hanging onto the Toyota in front of me and keeping the Renault behind me. Of course, the problem at my pit stop with the refuelling had not helped."

Kazuki Nakajima, Williams (DNF):
“I don’t know exactly what happened; I just went into the first corner following the guy in front. I didn’t change my line and I was suddenly hit from behind. I wanted to make it back to the garage as I thought there was a chance to get the problem fixed and get back out, but my car had suffered too much damage so I had to retire. It’s a real shame because we showed we had good long run pace on Friday and were expecting to have the same pace in the race, so we could have done well here this afternoon.”

Giancarlo Fisichella, Force India (DNF):
“I made a good start but then under braking Bourdais changed direction twice and I couldn't brake in time and went into the back of the Williams. I am already looking forward to Monaco. It's my favourite track and I've had some good results there so I have to leave this result behind and concentrate on the next race.”

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Ali » 11 May 2008, 16:20

!yahoo: Amazing!

Watching a race on track is a quite different experience. So loud but so perfect. I really enjoyed it. Shame you cannot exactly know what's going on but still, you feel so much tension while watching cars and drivers at such speeds. Vouv :thumbsup:

I didn't know Kimi had its rear wing to get damaged. I though he should have get past Hamilton but it didn't happen. Anyway, I think it's more exciting race than two previous ones. Now, a new era begins with two critical tracks, where Ferrari haven't win last season and been very very poor. And Massa; he has run out of the tracks that he won last year. I really wonder how he'll cope with the upcoming ones. To me, Kimi has the upper hand and If Maccas don't come back to its wining ways in Monaco and Montreal, it will be a Ferrari year, not a doubt.

I took lots of photos from the race and track. It was fun, I'll upload very soon. Cheers :thumbsup:
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it by not dying" -Woody Allen

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 11 May 2008, 16:21

where abouts were you on the track?

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Ali » 11 May 2008, 16:23

phil1993 wrote:where abouts were you on the track?
I was exactly standing near at Turn 1 and along the track until Turn 2. It was an open are so that I could walk up and down :)
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it by not dying" -Woody Allen

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 11 May 2008, 16:25

oh, right, so you got a great view of fisis crash! did you storm the track after the race and before the podium (or was it allowed)?