Vandoorne plays down Manor rumours

By on Friday, July 29, 2016
McLaren Honda

McLaren Honda

McLaren reserve driver Stoffel Vandoorne has played down rumours linking him with a seat at Manor for the second half of the season, though says he would be receptive to the idea.

Vandoorne, the reigning GP2 champion, scored a point on his debut for McLaren in Bahrain and is waiting to hear whether he will be promoted to a race seat full-time in 2017.

Vandoorne has recently been linked to a Manor drive for the second half of the year, with current racer Rio Haryanto needing to find sufficient funding across the summer break.

"It’s just rumours, it’s nice to see there’s interest from other teams which is pretty normal at this stage I think but there’s nothing more I can add to that really," he said.

"I haven’t spoken to anyone and if there is an interest from their part for sure they [Manor] will probably contact McLaren and I’m sure we would have talked about it but so far I haven’t spoken to anyone about it."

Vandoorne was nonetheless open to the idea of linking up with Manor.

"It's difficult to say, for sure it has positive, maybe some negatives as well," he said when asked if he would like to do it.

"I’m a racing driver, I always want to be in a racing car and I like to be behind the wheel.

"It could for sure be a good preparation in terms of next year, it’s maybe not the most competitive car but you still learn how to work in an environment like F1.

"Especially the tracks as well, the end of the year [features] all tracks I’ve never been to in GP2 so I think it would be something good."


If you liked this post then share it with your friends on social media websites. You can also follow us on Facebook and Twitter to stay up to date with the latest F1 news.