US GP site 'bare' but still on track

By on Monday, April 4, 2011

Apr.4 (GMM) A spokesman insists the construction of the circuit for next year's US grand prix is on track, despite the Austin site still appearing mainly bare.

Local KVUE News reports that while the project has made progress in recent months, there is still scepticism about whether it will be ready to be handed over to the FIA mid next year.

A report said earthmovers can be seen at the site, as can the outline of the actual track layout.

"Right now as it stands, all of our construction milestones are on track," said Jeff Hahn, whose Texas PR firm is working with the race promoters.

"It's an aggressive schedule. We are planning on a June 2012 opening day. Now it's not unusual. A lot of other tracks like this have been built in the same amount of time."

A local cafe owner said he has noticed progress at the site recently.

"I'd say not more than less than two months ago, there was a whole field of trees, brush and everything, and within the last month it's completely bare," he said.


If you liked this post then share it with your friends on social media websites. You can also follow us on Facebook and Twitter to stay up to date with the latest F1 news.