Toro Rosso expects 2016 podium challenge

By on Wednesday, March 2, 2016
Red Bull/Getty Images

Red Bull/Getty Images

Toro Rosso team boss Franz Tost says he expects the operation to claim a podium finish in 2016, as it bids to move up the Formula 1 grid.

Toro Rosso has not finished on the podium since its sole rostrum finish in 2008, when Sebastian Vettel claimed victory in a rain-soaked Italian Grand Prix.

Tost has challenged youngsters Max Verstappen and Carlos Sainz Jr., entering their second seasons in the sport, to score a podium this year.

"I expect a successful 2016 season because we are much better prepared in many different ways than the years before," said Tost.

"I'm convinced that the new car, the STR11, which has quite a successful predecessor, will be another big step forward.

"Realistically, I expect that we can achieve a podium this year after getting so close to it last year in Budapest and Austin, where Max finished fourth.

"I hope that the new car works well and is reliable and that the team and drivers do a good job. Therefore a podium position should be possible.

"The target for us this year is to finish fifth in the Constructor's Championship."

If you liked this post then share it with your friends on social media websites. You can also follow us on Facebook and Twitter to stay up to date with the latest F1 news.