أرشيف وسم ‘ Nurburgring ’

Posted on Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Perez encouraged by positives ahead of Germany

McLaren driver Sergio Perez says he is encouraged by the positive aspects of his British Grand Prix, despite failing to score a point. Perez started the race from fourteenth place but lost a potential points scoring finish late on when he became the fifth driver to suffer a tyre failure. "I’ve already put the disappointment of Silverstone behind me," said the Mexican. "In fact, I was more encouraged by the positives: I demonstrated strong pace all weekend, was having a good race and looked set […]

Posted on Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Pic pleased with Caterham improvements

Charles Pic says he is happy with the progress Caterham made over the British Grand Prix weekend. Pic beat fellow backmarker Jules Bianchi in both qualifying and the race. "We made some progress in Silverstone, in qualifying when I put together the best qualifying lap of my season so far and in the race where we had better pace than we’d had for a couple of races, and we added a few new parts to the car, mainly around the floor," he said. "We’ll have […]

Posted on Monday, July 1, 2013

Hulkenberg eager to return to Nurburgring

Nico Hulkenberg says he is eager to race at the Nurburgring for the first time in Formula 1. Hulkenberg made his Formula 1 debut in 2010 but during that season the German Grand Prix was held at Hockenheim. The last time the sport visited the Nurburgring was in 2011, when Hulkenberg was Force India's reserve driver. Hulkenberg heads to the race having scored a point in Britain, his sixth of the season and Sauber's first since the Chinese Grand Prix. "I know the Nürburgring very […]

Posted on Sunday, June 30, 2013

Massa not ruling out Nurburgring boycott

Ferrari driver Felipe Massa refused to rule out the prospect of drivers taking a stand against Pirelli's tyres at next weekend's German Grand Prix. Massa was one of five drivers to suffer a tyre failure during the British Grand Prix "For sure we will talk about it," Massa said when asked about the prospect of a driver protest. "Every driver is complaining, even those who didn't experience it today." "They need to do something." "For me it is unacceptable and they need to do something […]

Posted on Sunday, June 30, 2013

Newey urges changes after 'shortsightedness'

Red Bull's Adrian Newey has urged the FIA to take action after a series of tyre failures that blighted the British Grand Prix. Race leader Lewis Hamilton suffered a failure early on, while Felipe Massa, Sergio Perez, Esteban Gutierrez and Jean-Eric Vergne were all hindered by Pirelli failures. "You really need to ask Pirelli but we asked the drivers to stay off the kerbs because they say it was the left rear." "Its a sad state of affairs, such is the nature of Formula 1 […]

Posted on Thursday, April 25, 2013

Schumacher to demonstrate W02 at Nordschleife

Seven times Formula 1 world champion Michael Schumacher will drive Mercedes's 2011 car around the Nurburgring Nordschleife on May 19th. Schumacher retired from the sport at the end of 2012 but has taken up an ambassadorial role with the company. The German's run will take place during the build up to this season's Nurburgring 24 hours race. "I have a lot of fond memories of the Nurburgring and am really looking forward to giving fans and friends from my home town of Kerpen, which is […]

Posted on Friday, February 1, 2013

Ecclestone tips Vettel to beat Alonso again

Bernie Ecclestone has tipped his friend Sebastian Vettel to win a fourth consecutive world championship in 2013. "I see it in this order: Vettel, Alonso, Button and Hamilton," he told the Italian sports daily La Gazzetta dello Sport. The F1 chief executive said he was curious to see how Mercedes' sweeping changes for this season will make a difference, and said McLaren has a "better chance" to win the 2013 title compared to last year. "Many will not share my opinion," said the 82-year-old Briton, […]

Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2013

Nurburgring to host 2013 grand prix

Nurburgring officials have reached an agreement with Bernie Ecclestone to host the German grand prix as scheduled in July. That is the claim of the German newspapers Allgemeine Zeitung and Rhein Zeitung, following a long-running 'on again, off again' saga surrounding the fortunes of the financially beleaguered Nurburgring. Mere hours before the latest reports, which were confirmed by Rhineland-Palatinate state spokeswoman Monika Fuhr, F1 chief executive Ecclestone had admitted the Nurburgring's future was still clouded. "It's all a bit messy," he was quoted by the […]

Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Politics threatening German round

Bernie Ecclestone has said that political bickering could hinder progress with the 2013 German Grand Prix. Ecclestone has held talks with the Nurburgring over a deal for this year, but the cash-strapped circuit has so far yet to confirm whether a race will go ahead. Nurburgring and Hockenheim share the German round on a biannual basis, with the circuit in the Eifel mountains set to host the 2013 event. "The race is on-off, on-off. It's all a little bit political", Ecclestone said. "The Nurburgring is […]

Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Nurburgring not giving up on 2013 German GP

The Nurburgring has not given up on hosting this July's German grand prix. Amid the circuit's financial troubles, F1 chief executive was quoted on Sunday in the German press: "We do not accept it (the Nurburgring's proposal) as financially feasible and therefore end the negotiations". But Nurburgring Automotive GmbH chief Jorg Lindner is not giving up. He told the Rhein Zeitung newspaper on Tuesday: "We have the exclusive rights to Formula One at the Nurburgring, and we insist on it." Ecclestone said on Tuesday: "I […]

Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2013

Ecclestone calls off Nurburgring talks

Bernie Ecclestone has called off negotiations with the Nurburgring, according to Germany's Der Spiegel. The famous circuit's financial problems are well known, but F1 chief executive Ecclestone had been in talks with Nurburgring officials about pressing ahead with plans for a scheduled July race date. But Der Spiegel on Sunday quoted Ecclestone as saying: "Following a detailed examination of the (Nurburgring's) proposal, we do not accept it as financially feasible and therefore end the negotiations." Hockenheim, the host of last year's German grand prix that […]

Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2013

German Grand Prix venue remains unknown

The venue of the German Grand Prix is still a mystery, with Bernie Ecclestone suggesting that it may not be decided until after the start of the season. The state government in Rhineland-Palatinate announced last year that the Nurburgring was on the verge of bankruptcy after failing to make the repayments on a $370m loan following a major upgrade in 2009. Ecclestone told Reuters last week that he was close to a deal with the Nurburgring - which hosts the race biannually - although such a […]