أرشيف وسم ‘ Max Mosley ’

Posted on Monday, October 27, 2014

Mosley warns F1 could lose more teams

Former FIA President Max Mosley has warned that Formula 1 could lose more teams due to the current costs of competing in the sport. Marussia and Caterham will miss this weekend's United States Grand Prix after calling in the administrators, meaning that only nine teams will enter a race for the first time since 2005, when BAR-Honda was banned. But Mosley warned that other teams could fall foul of financial problems due to the governance of the sport. "It's not a fair competition anymore," Mosley […]

Posted on Monday, December 9, 2013

Budget cap to be introduced for 2015

The FIA has announced that a budget cap will be implemented from the start of the 2015 Formula 1 season. The F1 strategy group and F1 commission met in Paris on Monday where a move to limit the spending in the sport was made. 'The principle of a global cost cap has been adopted. The limit will be applied from January 2015', read an FIA statement. A working group will be established within the coming days comprising the FIA, representatives of the Commercial Rights Holder […]

Posted on Thursday, August 29, 2013

Ward to stand for FIA presidency

David Ward has announced his intention to stand in this year's FIA presidential elections. Ward has resigned as the FIA Foundation's Director General after 12 years in the position. "After much careful thought I have decided to stand as a candidate in the 2013 FIA Presidential election," Ward said in a statement released on the FIA Foundation's website on Thursday. "The election period begins in September and it will be necessary for me to approach FIA members to secure nominations. In these circumstances I think […]

Posted on Monday, October 22, 2012

Todt: I am not a dictator

FIA president Jean Todt has insisted that his role as president should not be dictatorial. The Frenchman has been in charge of the FIA since 2009 and his predecessor, Max Mosley, told The F1 Show on Friday that Todt needs to be more confrontational. "For me, the FIA must have a bigger impact, not erosion", Todt told The Financial Times. "I'm not a dictator trying to control. The contribution and the role of the FIA has to be protected, to be respected. The FIA is a non-profit […]

Posted on Monday, October 22, 2012

Todt denies FIA to lighten grip on F1

Jean Todt has dismissed suggestions he is willing to loosen the FIA's grip on Formula One in return for more money. Ahead of a crucial meeting between the FIA president, Bernie Ecclestone and the teams in Paris on Tuesday, the Financial Times reported speculation Frenchman Todt will agree to trade some of the federation's rule-making power for a bigger share of the sport's financial pie. "For me," Todt said, "the FIA must have a bigger impact, not erosion. "It makes me smile when I read […]

Posted on Thursday, August 9, 2012

Whitmarsh to step down as FOTA president

Martin Whitmarsh has flagged his intention to step down as president of the teams association FOTA. The union was created in the heat of the Max Mosley political war in 2008, with McLaren team boss Whitmarsh then taking over from FOTA's first chairman, Luca di Montezemolo, at the end of 2009. Since then, the group has fractured, with Ferrari, Red Bull, Toro Rosso, Sauber and HRT all no longer listed as members on the official FOTA website. And in a report by Dieter Rencken and […]

Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2012

2013 F1 budget cap possible

It is possible Formula One teams will be limited to a budget cap in 2013, according to Germany's Auto Motor und Sport. The budget cap idea saw the sport almost implode amid the bitter political war of 2009, when proposed by controversial former FIA president Max Mosley. But it is back on the agenda in 2012, and according to new rules - where a majority of teams can now push through a change - it could be imposed next season. "Ten of the 12 teams […]

Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2012

Lotus backs Sauber over budget cap proposal

Lotus has become the second team to announce it would be happy to operate within a budget cap. A few years ago, former FIA president Max Mosley's push for teams to be confined to an even playing field when it comes to spending power was angrily rejected, resulting in a bitter political war. But Sauber said recently that it would be happy if the idea was proposed again. Like the Swiss team, Lotus has also agreed a new commercial Concorde Agreement with Bernie Ecclestone, as […]

Posted on Thursday, April 5, 2012

Kaltenborn: Sauber's lack of development budget 'a shame'

Sauber is in a race for money after discovering its 2012 car is up to speed with F1's richest teams. As ever in Formula 1, world championships are won not on the basis of a clever initial design, but on a team's ability to continue to develop it throughout a long season. According to O Estado de S.Paulo newspaper, the formerly BMW-owned Sauber team's chief executive Monisha Kaltenborn admits that the Hinwil based outfit cannot compete on that front with the likes of McLaren, Ferrari, […]

Posted on Friday, December 9, 2011

Will more F1 teams quit FOTA group?

With up to four of F1's twelve teams no longer members, the future of the FOTA alliance is on shaky ground. HRT pulled out at the start of the year, with team boss Colin Kolles chiding the Geneva-based association for being "just a name and not really existing in the real world". But it was the exits of F1's biggest budget Red Bull and Ferrari that have rocked the foundations of the body, which was set up amid the teams' political battles with Bernie Ecclestone […]

Posted on Monday, October 24, 2011

Ecclestone would welcome Mosley comeback

Bernie Ecclestone has admitted he would welcome Max Mosley back to the FIA presidency. The F1 chief executive told Germany's Welt am Sonntag newspaper that coming out in opposition to his long-time fellow F1 powerbroker amid the 2008 scandal ranks among his biggest ever regrets. "One of the worst things I've done in my life - and for which I am ashamed - is to not defend Max Mosley when he had his big problems. There's no excuse," said Ecclestone. The 80-year-old is referring to […]

Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2011

Michelin would return to F1 tyre war

Sep.24 (GMM) Michelin might consider returning to formula one if the rules allow it, the French marque's motor racing boss Nick Shorrock said on Friday.

The Clermont-Ferrand manufacturer entered the sport in 2001 in competition with Bridgestone, but ...