أرشيف وسم ‘ La Stampa ’

Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Petrov insists Alonso also a 'pay-driver'

Vitaly Petrov has hit out again at his 'pay-driver' label, insisting even the highest paid driver on the grid has a similar arrangement with his team. "I see no difference between myself and Alonso," said the Russian, who has moved his lucrative backing from Renault (now Lotus) to the Caterham team for 2012. His new appointment is controversial, given he has ousted the experienced veteran and former Monaco winner Jarno Trulli, who was the last Italian in F1. Comparing himself with Alonso, Petrov told La […]

Posted on Monday, February 20, 2012

Trulli proud of F1 career without backing

The Italian press has pointed the finger at Vitaly Petrov's "rubles" as Jarno Trulli races out of Formula One. With Vitantonio Liuzzi replaced at HRT by Narain Karthikeyan, and veteran Trulli ousted at Caterham by Petrov, F1 history enters a new phase as Italy no longer has a single driver on the grid. "If you look," said former grand prix winner Riccardo Patrese to La Stampa, "the drivers coming in now are from central America and the East." The unsponsored Trulli, 37, said he still […]

Posted on Monday, February 6, 2012

Whitmarsh admits launch McLaren had 'plastic' exhausts

Martin Whitmarsh has admitted that the launch version of McLaren's new MP4-27 car featured a dummy diffuser and 'plastic' exhaust exits. With exhaust-blown diffusers effectively banned for 2012, the big technical talking point will be how the designers claw back that lost downforce. McLaren gave nothing away last week, installing a fake diffuser and plastic exhausts on the version of the MP4-27 launched at Woking. "The exhaust was made of plastic, you won't see those components in that form again," team boss Whitmarsh confirmed to […]

Posted on Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Press mocks Vettel's 'phantom' gearbox problem

The international press suspects Red Bull imposed team orders during the season ending Brazilian grand prix. The team has already strongly denied the claims, but publications like Spain's Marca suspect Sebastian Vettel pulled over for Mark Webber because of a "phantom problem" with his gearbox. "Webber gets the loyalty prize," said Italy's La Gazzetta dello Sport. Agreed Corriere della Sera: "Vettel gave Webber the gift of the last crumbs after a huge feast and saved him a trip to the psychologist." Spain's Diario Sport added: […]

Posted on Saturday, November 26, 2011

Raikkonen now negotiating with Renault

Several media sources at the Brazilian Grand Prix are now reporting that negotiations between Kimi Raikkonen and Williams are over. "It’s true that we had serious negotiations with Raikkonen," Williams team boss Sir Frank Williams said to Italy’s La Stampa, indicating that the team is no longer negotiating with the 2007 world champion. French website Sportune.fr reported that the negotiations broke down because Raikkonen's managers, David and Steve Robertson were asking for 30 million euros for just the 2012 season – which is 30% of […]

Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2011

2007 enemies in 'unholy alliance' against Vettel

Self-interest may have motivated the new friendship between Fernando Alonso and Lewis Hamilton. In 2007, the pair clashed spectacularly as McLaren teammates, and in the intervening years they have maintained a healthy distance. At the penultimate grand prix of 2011 in Abu Dhabi, however, the pair spent the days leading up to the event praising one another's talents. Then, when they finished first and second in the race, they shared an unusually warm hug. Hamilton explained to Italian broadcaster Rai: "I loved the fight with […]

Posted on Sunday, November 13, 2011

Horner not worried Monza fans took Webber wing

Christian Horner insists he is not worried that pieces of a current-spec Red Bull front wing are currently sitting in the lounge rooms of fans -- and possibly elsewhere. After Mark Webber's Monza crash, fans collected up the carbon fibre pieces of the mysterious and highly effective Adrian Newey-penned component. "No problem. You can't get any sensitive information from small pieces like that," boss Horner is quoted by La Stampa newspaper after being shown newspaper photos of the wreckage in a Spanish spectator's home. It […]

Posted on Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Montezemolo happy to hear Raikkonen rumours

Luca di Montezemolo has revealed he is happy to hear speculation about Kimi Raikkonen's possible return to formula one. At the end of 2009, despite the Finn having a year to run on his contract, the Maranello based team replaced Raikkonen with Fernando Alonso in a deal that coincided with the arrival of Santander as a lucrative new sponsor. The 2007 world champion went off to world rallying and even tried his hand at NASCAR-style racing, but is now reportedly on the verge of returning […]

Posted on Sunday, October 30, 2011

F1 to consider 'third car' issue for 2013

New fuel has been added to Ferrari's push to have three cars on the formula one grid. After India, key officials will move on to Geneva, when next Thursday the F1 Commission meets. La Stampa newspaper reports that one of the topics on the agenda is the redefinition of a formula one constructor. According to Italiaracing, the news emerged after a team bosses meeting in India on Friday. The outcome of the F1 Commission vote will settle the debate about whether big teams should be […]

Posted on Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Vettel climbing all-time F1 winner's list

During his meteoric 2011 season, double champion-elect Sebastian Vettel has quietly climbed the list of all time greats. Before the season began, the young German was 29th on the all-time winner's list with his ten victories, alongside Gerhard Berger and James Hunt. After Sunday's Singapore grand prix, his career tally has grown to 19 -- one more than his friend Kimi Raikkonen. Also now left in 24-year-old Vettel's wake are the famous Stirling Moss (16 wins), Lewis Hamilton (16), Jack Brabham (14), Graham Hill (14), […]

Posted on Monday, September 26, 2011

Turkey on standby for 2012 Bahrain axe

Turkey is on standby should Bahrain not return to the formula one calendar next season. Last year's race in the island Kingdom was called off due to the civil unrest. But Bahrain's troubles seem to be persisting still, with violence near the now-famous Pearl Square marking the parliamentary elections at the weekend. According to veteran Swiss correspondent Roger Benoit, writing in the Blick newspaper, Turkey has been put on standby should Bahrain's late April event be called off in 2012. Turkey's Istanbul Park was dropped […]

Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2011

Early Vettel title not a shame insists Ecclestone

Sep.25 (GMM) Bernie Ecclestone does not think the early conclusion to the 2011 world championship is "a shame" with multiple races still to run this season.

It is mathematically possible that Sebastian Vettel will wrap up the title after Sunday's Sin...