أرشيف وسم ‘ Ecclestone ’

Posted on Friday, January 25, 2013

Mercedes offered Lowe a million euros

Mercedes has offered Paddy Lowe a million euros per year to switch from McLaren, the major German newspaper Bild claims. None other than Mercedes team boss Ross Brawn on Thursday confirmed that talks with McLaren's technical director have taken place, although Brawn strongly denied that he is being lined up to oust him. Bild claims Mercedes' offer would "double" 50-year-old Briton Lowe's current salary. Having also switched from McLaren to Mercedes, Lewis Hamilton however denied any knowledge of the deal. "I've been assured by Ross […]

Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Review: Official Formula 1 Season Review 2012

As Formula One begins to focus on the start of pre-season testing in February, there’s still the chance to relive the glorious 2012 season in Haynes’ Official Formula One Season Review 2012. The annual publication, now in its ninth year, features a foreword from F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone as well as brilliant pictures from LAT. Every driver that took part in a race – and that includes Lotus’s Jerome d’Ambrosio – relays the story of their season, giving them the chance to reflect on their […]

Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2013

German Grand Prix venue remains unknown

The venue of the German Grand Prix is still a mystery, with Bernie Ecclestone suggesting that it may not be decided until after the start of the season. The state government in Rhineland-Palatinate announced last year that the Nurburgring was on the verge of bankruptcy after failing to make the repayments on a $370m loan following a major upgrade in 2009. Ecclestone told Reuters last week that he was close to a deal with the Nurburgring - which hosts the race biannually - although such a […]

Posted on Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Nurburgring set for confirmation in 19 race calendar

Bernie Ecclestone has said that the German Grand Prix is to take place as scheduled on July 7th. A spokesman for the circuit indicated in November last year that the sport would not return to the Nurburgring, but Ecclestone told Reuters that a deal with the circuit is now close. "It should be the Nurburgring and we are trying to make it happen. I’m talking with them today." Financial troubles at the Nurburgring had led to suggestions that the race could take place in Hockenheim. The two […]

Posted on Friday, December 28, 2012

Sources say Petrov to keep Caterham seat

'Russian sources' report that Vitaly Petrov is set to keep his Caterham seat for 2013, the Finnish newspaper Turun Sanomat claims. Already this week, the 28-year-old's manager Oksana Kosachenko revealed that "all the necessary work on our part is done -- and it's for Caterham to decide". Petrov's teammate in 2012 was Finn Heikki Kovalainen, but Caterham has already announced that Charles Pic will be driving one of the green-liveried cars next year. Among the other candidates to be Pic's 2013 teammate are Giedo van […]

Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2012

Ecclestone wants F1 to shed one more team

With HRT bowing out of Formula One, Bernie Ecclestone would be happy to see the sport lose one more team. "I'd rather have 10," the F1 chief executive told Reuters on Thursday. "I never wanted 12." HRT's departure leaves just 11 teams on the grid for 2013. It emerged recently that the struggling backmarker Marussia is the only team on the 2013 entry list that is yet to be offered a new Concorde Agreement deal. "It's just that 10 is easier to handle, for the […]

Posted on Monday, December 10, 2012

Parr confirms Ecclestone triggered F1 exit

Former Williams chairman Adam Parr has confirmed it was Bernie Ecclestone who pushed him to leave Formula One. Earlier this year, Briton Parr - Williams' de-facto team principal - suddenly quit, despite his apparently rising stature within the Oxfordshire based team and the F1 paddock. His shock departure was met with cynicism, as it coincided with the end to an impasse with F1's chief executive over Williams' stalled Concorde Agreement negotiations. The Telegraph hinted at the time that Parr "was the victim of a power […]

Posted on Monday, December 10, 2012

Ecclestone eyes vodka brand for F1 sponsor deal

With the Rolex deal freshly under his belt, Bernie Ecclestone has revealed that a vodka label and a mobile phone operator could be the next in line to conclude major sponsorship deals with Formula One. "We are chasing one or two people that want to be involved," the sport's chief executive told F1 business journalist Christian Sylt. "We are looking at phones and drinks," Ecclestone is quoted by the Telegraph. "People like vodka and things like that, they are out there." Sylt said Belvedere, a […]

Posted on Friday, December 7, 2012

Triple champion Vettel is F1 'yardstick'

Bernie Ecclestone has said that reigning world champion Sebastian Vettel is the yardstick in the sport. Vettel claimed his third world title in November's Brazilian Grand Prix. "Today Sebastian is the yardstick. Times are simply different today and that doesn’t only go for drivers. The whole environment is different. We have many more do’s and don’ts than back in the old days," he told the Official F1 website. "Remember when Sebastian swore on the podium? He immediately got into trouble. If that had been James Hunt […]

Posted on Friday, December 7, 2012

Ecclestone regrets damage to Schumacher's legend

Bernie Ecclestone has said that it is a shame that F1's 'new' fans will view Michael Schumacher in a different light due to his comeback

Posted on Thursday, December 6, 2012

Government to decide Turkey's F1 return on Friday

Turkey is set to return to the Formula One calendar, the government-linked Turkish news agency Anadolu Ajansi reported on Thursday. The report said "everything except the price" has been agreed between Turkish officials and F1 chief executive Bernie Ecclestone. The news follows the FIA's announcement on Wednesday that a twentieth race date for an unidentified additional European event has been set aside for mid 2013. "We have agreed in principle the matter of the contract with me as the operator," businessman Vural Ak, who has […]

Posted on Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Marussia not offered 2013 Concorde Agreement deal

Marussia is the only team on the official 2013 entry list that is yet to be offered a new Concorde Agreement deal. The German website motorsport-total.com reports that the news could be particularly bad for the Russian-owned British backmarker, as Bernie Ecclestone is apparently considering scrapping the so-called 'column 3' benefits for the sport's new teams that debuted in 2010. Presumably, Ecclestone wants to scrap the column-3 entitlements because Caterham has moved into a higher status due to regularly finishing tenth in the constructors' world […]