أرشيف وسم ‘ Ecclestone ’

Posted on Thursday, January 16, 2014

Ecclestone steps down as director ahead of bribery trial

Bernie Ecclestone has stepped down from the board of directors which runs Formula 1 until after his trial - but will continue to run the sport on a day-to-day basis. Ecclestone is set to face trial on bribery charges in Munich in April. He is alleged to have given a 45 million Euro bribe to German banker Gerhard Gribkowsky in order that Formula 1 would be sold to a private equity group of Ecclestone's choice. Ecclestone admits paying the money but insists he was blackmailed […]

Posted on Monday, January 6, 2014

Conflicting fortunes for race organisers

Formula 1 will return to Austria and head to Russia in 2014. But for New Jersey, the situation is somewhat cloudier. A new season is slowly creeping over the horizon, with Formula 1’s workforce frantically preparing the new breed of machines that will hit the track in Jerez in three weeks’ time. There will be conflicting fortunes: someone has to finish top of the class and another will end up with the wooden spoon. But for now, there is some anxious work ongoing. It’s a […]

Posted on Sunday, December 22, 2013

Ecclestone wants three 'double points' races

The days of the highly controversial new 'double points' rule for the season finale appear numbered. Many fans and drivers have made clear they are not happy with the change, designed to keep the title alive right to the end by offering twice as many points in Abu Dhabi next November. "I think it's wrong," Toro Rosso driver Jean-Eric Vergne told Italy's Corriere dello Sport, "because it devalues the work a driver has done throughout the whole season. "As drivers we are not excited about […]

Posted on Friday, December 20, 2013

Double points could be scrapped, says Montezemolo

Formula One's decision to award double points at the last race of the season could be scrapped after next year's Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, if not before, according to Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo. The Italian told reporters attending a Christmas lunch at the Fiorano test track that he was no fan of the controversial rule change that has got fans up in arms and been branded 'absurd' by Red Bull's world champion Sebastian Vettel. "I am not enthusiastic about it, because for me it […]

Posted on Wednesday, December 4, 2013

FIA confirms official 2014 F1 calendar

Races in New Jersey, Mexico and South Korea were dropped from Formula One's official 2014 calendar on Wednesday, with the season remaining at 19 races instead of a record 22. All three grands prix had been listed provisionally, with asterisks against them, on a previous calendar published in September by the sport's governing International Automobile Federation (FIA). None appeared however on the final version issued on Wednesday after a meeting of the FIA's World Motor Sports Council in Paris. New Jersey's Grand Prix of the […]

Posted on Thursday, November 28, 2013

Webber deletes criticism of Red Bull colleagues

Comments in which Mark Webber was highly critical of his former Red Bull colleagues have been removed from the Australian's official website. It has been no secret that Webber, who has left the world champion team and Formula One to lead a more relaxed life with Porsche, has been enduring strained relationships with bosses Christian Horner, Dr Helmut Marko and teammate Sebastian Vettel. Once very close friends and even sharing ownership of a GP3 team with the 40-year-old Briton, Webber admitted in the deleted comments […]

Posted on Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Ferrari to abandon pullrod layout for 2014

Ferrari has "almost certainly" abandoned its novel approach to front suspension layout ahead of the 2014 season. That is the claim of the authoritative Italian publication Autosprint, after Ferrari came close to winning last year's title with the 'pullrod' system not seen on the F1 grid for more than a decade. Ferrari, however, fell well short of having the fastest car in 2013, despite Fernando Alonso managing to finish runner-up behind Red Bull's dominant Sebastian Vettel. Autosprint reports: "The 2014 Ferrari will almost certainly abandon […]

Posted on Thursday, November 7, 2013

Horner: Red Bull will not become complacent

Red Bull team principal Christian Horner has insisted that his squad will not become complacent, despite having won their fourth successive 'double' championship in 2013. Red Bull has won 11 races this season - all courtesy of champion Sebastian Vettel - but Horner denies that any complacency is creeping in. "I think it's very easy for people to become complacent and expect that a Red Bull victory is almost pre-described - but that isn't the case," he said. "Every race that we go to is […]

Posted on Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Raikkonen already regretting Ferrari return - pundit

Kimi Raikkonen might already be regretting his impending return to Ferrari, according to a pundit. The Finn had a particularly bad-tempered weekend in Abu Dhabi, starting with his no-show on Thursday and ending with a rare first-lap crash and rapid return to the airport in flip-flops. Former driver Christian Danner, now a pundit for German television RTL, thinks Raikkonen is not simply annoyed at his situation at Lotus, but also with his impending move to Ferrari. "Kimi is annoyed that his manager is sending him […]

Posted on Sunday, November 3, 2013

Ecclestone backs Raikkonen over strike threat

Bernie Ecclestone has backed Kimi Raikkonen's threat to strike after the Finn revealed he has not been paid "a single euro" in 2013. Raikkonen only travelled to Abu Dhabi at the last minute, but he is now warning he will sit out Austin and Brazil if the team does not pay him a reported EUR 15 million. "He has signed a contract with somebody and they need to pay him," F1 chief executive Bernie Ecclestone told the Mirror. "I feel sorry for him but he […]

Posted on Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Capitalising on Qatar link 'my last big wish' says Williams

Reaping the fruits of the collaboration with Qatar is Sir Frank Wiliams' "last big wish", he admitted on Tuesday. A couple of years ago, the British team partnered with the soverign Arab state to establish the Williams Technology Centre in Qatar, to develop and commercialise F1-bred technologies. Williams, 71, is still the Grove based team's boss, but he has handed over many of his responsibilities to his new deputy Claire, his daughter. But Frank Williams told Germany's Auto Motor und Sport that he still deals […]

Posted on Friday, October 4, 2013

Schumacher exit best thing for Mercedes admits Lauda

Replacing Michael Schumacher with Lewis Hamilton was the right thing for Mercedes. That is the claim not only of F1 chief executive Bernie Ecclestone, but also the German team's own Niki Lauda. A year ago, Lauda was instrumental in convincing Lewis Hamilton to leave McLaren and replace the seven time world champion, Schumacher. "It was the right decision to sign Lewis," Ecclestone told Germany's Auto Bild. "He woke the team up. And he can push the other driver (Nico Rosberg) in a way Michael couldn't […]