أرشيف وسم ‘ DPA ’

Posted on Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Ferrari plays down Raikkonen return reports

Ferrari on Wednesday played down reports it has made a lucrative offer to sign Kimi Raikkonen for 2014. As Lotus and Red Bull tussle over the Finn's services, and amid wild rumours Ferrari number 1 Fernando Alonso is toying with a switch to Red Bull, the Raikkonen-to-Ferrari story was broken earlier by the German newspaper Bild. A Ferrari spokesman told the German news agency DPA the team "has no interest in the driver market right now". But with Felipe Massa's contract expiring, that might not […]

Posted on Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Hamilton says tyres costing him 2013 title tilt

Lewis Hamilton says Pirelli's tyres are ruining his shot at the 2013 title. "I'm not really thinking about the championship now," said the Nurburgring pole sitter. "There's really no point." Earlier, having seen his Mercedes teammate Nico Rosberg win two of the past three grands prix, the Briton sounded optimistic he could chase down Sebastian Vettel's points lead after dominating qualifying on Saturday. But then came Sunday, where it became clear the move from steel to kevlar-belted tyres, and the clampdown on team tyre-trickery, had […]

Posted on Monday, May 13, 2013

Mercedes favourite to win in Monaco

Mercedes has been tipped as a likely favourite to win the fabled Monaco grand prix later this month. Having dominated qualifying in Spain, Nico Rosberg and Lewis Hamilton fell spectacularly backwards through the field in the race as the W04 chew mercilessly through Pirelli's tyres. Toto Wolff, the team's co-owner and director, said the extreme reversal of Saturday's fortunes caused himself and Daimler CEO Dieter Zetsche "almost physical pain". But it could all be different in Monaco. "I think Mercedes has a good chance to […]

Posted on Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Marko wants tyre improvements 'as soon as possible'

Dr Helmut Marko has admitted he is not satisfied with the minor tweak made by Pirelli ahead of next weekend's Spanish grand prix. So far in 2013, world champions Red Bull have been putting pressure on F1's official supplier to significantly change this season's heavily-degrading tyres. But, after the first four 'flyaway' grands prix, Pirelli has announced that only a minor tweak will be made to the 'hard' compound tyre for Barcelona and beyond. Red Bull's Marko said on Monday: "We want - as soon […]

Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2013

Sutil 'not nervous' ahead of crucial F1 test

Adrian Sutil insists he is "not nervous" ahead of his test with Force India on Thursday. Billed by the media as a 'shootout' for the last race seat in 2013, German Sutil will drive the VJM06 at Barcelona a day before the other hot contender, Jules Bianchi, tests on Friday. "I'm pleased to finally be back on a Formula One track," Sutil, who bowed out of F1 after his assault conviction of 2011, is quoted by the DPA news agency. "It's quite a while ago […]

Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Sutil 'happy and grateful' for Force India chance

Adrian Sutil is "very, very happy" Force India is giving him a chance to shine by his former team Force India at Barcelona this week. "He's very, very happy this is taking place," the German's manager Manfred Zimmermann is quoted by DPA news agency. Sutil, now 30, spent his entire five-year F1 career with the Silverstone based team until 2011, when he lost his seat at the end of the season in the wake of the Eric Lux assault affair. He is now a contender […]

Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2013

Sutil 'still believes' in 2013 F1 return

Mere days before the pre-season test period begins, Adrian Sutil is still refusing to give up on his Formula One comeback for 2013. Once considered the hot favourite to return with his former team Force India this year, the long delay has caused some commentators to assume that German Sutil, 30, is now less likely to race. But Sutil's manager Manfred Zimmermann insisted: "Basically, we still believe in the 2013 comeback." He also admitted to DPA news agency, however, that he is "not sure" if […]

Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2013

Ecclestone calls off Nurburgring talks

Bernie Ecclestone has called off negotiations with the Nurburgring, according to Germany's Der Spiegel. The famous circuit's financial problems are well known, but F1 chief executive Ecclestone had been in talks with Nurburgring officials about pressing ahead with plans for a scheduled July race date. But Der Spiegel on Sunday quoted Ecclestone as saying: "Following a detailed examination of the (Nurburgring's) proposal, we do not accept it as financially feasible and therefore end the negotiations." Hockenheim, the host of last year's German grand prix that […]

Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Circuit says 'no more F1' at the Nurburgring

The Nurburgring's chances of staging the German grand prix as scheduled next year have receded yet further. Bernie Ecclestone was already in talks with Hockenheim about replacing the mid-July event next year, while the crisis-struck Nurburgring is grappling with an insolvency process. Still, there was a chance the Nurburging would pull through. However, multiple German reports - including in the daily Rhein and Allgemeine newspapers - have now revealed that negotiations between the existing management and the managers of the insolvency have broken down. A […]

Posted on Friday, October 12, 2012

Glock open to Marussia team switch

Timo Glock is expecting to be with Marussia for a fourth consecutive season in 2013. But the German is also open to "the possibility" of a change. "It (an alternate team) would have to be a clear step forwards," the former Toyota driver is quoted by DPA news agency. "But at the moment I am fulfilling my contract and so I am not in talks with anyone else," added Glock. The 30-year-old is one of the more highly-regarded of the drivers at the back of […]

Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2012

Danner thinks Schumacher has agreed new deal

Christian Danner, a former grand prix driver and now German television pundit, is sure Michael Schumacher will still be on the grid in 2013. Seven time champion Schumacher, now 43, signed a three-year contract when he agreed to return to Formula One in 2010 with Mercedes. The two sides are yet to agree an extension for 2013 and beyond. But Norbert Haug, Mercedes' motor racing vice-president, ramped up speculation recently when he responded to a question about a new deal for Schumacher: "I doubt there […]

Posted on Friday, July 27, 2012

FIA denies anti-Red Bull 'conspiracy'

The FIA has denied there is an anti-Red Bull "conspiracy" at play in 2012. In the few days between Hockenheim and Hungary, Dr Helmut Marko's grumbling about the 'engine mapping' saga and Sebastian Vettel's overtaking penalty has reignited speculation of a Red Bull vs FIA war. On the one side - goes the theory - is Red Bull and Bernie Ecclestone, with the Jean Todt-led governing body on the other side pressing its rule-making power and wanting a bigger slice of Ecclestone's money pie. The […]