أرشيف وسم ‘ Bernie Ecclestone ’

Posted on Monday, October 10, 2011

Court ruling spells trouble for British split TV deal

Britain's highly controversial new split television rights deal appears in doubt following a ruling last week of the European Court of Justice. The Telegraph reports that the court showed a green light to the use of foreign digital TV decoders within the United Kingdom, meaning viewers might be able to avoid paying for Sky's subscription coverage. "We'll wait and see what happens," said Bernie Ecclestone, suggesting that he might in reaction allow pubs to show grands prix free of charge. "As far as we're concerned […]

Posted on Saturday, October 8, 2011

F1 to discuss latest problems in Bahrain

F1 teams and the governing body are set to discuss Bahrain's scheduled return to the 2012 calendar. After this year's event was cancelled, Bernie Ecclestone and the FIA scheduled for the race to return next April due to the Kingdom's calming civil problems. But those problems seem to have resurfaced in recent days, with the New York Times reporting that security forces clashed with protestors as recently as Friday. "It's always concerning with the media reports that you hear," Red Bull team boss Christian Horner […]

Posted on Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Ecclestone sure India GP to run without problems

Bernie Ecclestone is certain the inaugural Indian grand prix will run without a hitch late this month. There have been concerns the Buddh circuit is not complete, that teams and drivers will be heavily taxed, and that angry local farmers as well as regional terrorists may pose security threats. "I don't think we can see anywhere in the world where there isn't a bit of uncertainty these days," the sport's chief executive told the Deccan Herald newspaper. "I don't think there is the slightest bit […]

Posted on Friday, September 30, 2011

US GP project could lose promoter Hellmund

There are fears about the ongoing involvement in the 2012 US grand prix project of the race's promoter Tavo Hellmund. Hellmund has been the driving force behind the Circuit of the Americas in Austin, Texas, scheduled to host its first formula one race next November. But the slowing of construction work at the venue has been "noticeable" lately, according to the local Austin American Statesman newspaper. And it is now suggested that the "promoter or management" could be changed after Texas comptroller Susan Combs this […]

Posted on Thursday, September 29, 2011

Horner and Ecclestone not writing off Webber

Red Bull has not written off Mark Webber despite his struggle to live with his teammate Sebastian Vettel in 2011. While Vettel, 24, has raced to a certain back-to-back title with nine wins so far this season, Australian veteran Webber has failed to win a single grand prix. But even though there might be question marks about his motivation to again take on the young German next season, Red Bull has signed up Webber for another campaign. "Well, he's still motivated enough to beat anybody […]

Posted on Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Concerns still linger over first Indian GP

A month before the inaugural race date, uncertainty still persists about the readiness of India's new Buddh circuit. The FIA's World Motor Sport Council said in Singapore that the organisers and Bernie Ecclestone are giving "positive" briefings about the Delhi venue. "We're very happy, they're doing a good job," the F1 chief executive told the AP news agency on Saturday. But some recent photos in the media told a different story, even though Team Lotus reserve driver Karun Chandhok is the most recent visitor to […]

Posted on Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Ecclestone not ruling out Turkey return

Bernie Ecclestone has not ruled out reinstating the Turkish grand prix on future formula one calendars, a local newspaper reports this week. We reported this week that the Istanbul circuit, the scene of seven grands prix since 2005 but not on next year's schedule, is on standby in the event Bahrain needs to be cancelled again. And the Turkish Hurriyet daily reports that F1 chief executive Ecclestone "has expressed hope that F1 management will agree with Turkish authorities to hold the races in the country […]

Posted on Monday, September 26, 2011

Turkey on standby for 2012 Bahrain axe

Turkey is on standby should Bahrain not return to the formula one calendar next season. Last year's race in the island Kingdom was called off due to the civil unrest. But Bahrain's troubles seem to be persisting still, with violence near the now-famous Pearl Square marking the parliamentary elections at the weekend. According to veteran Swiss correspondent Roger Benoit, writing in the Blick newspaper, Turkey has been put on standby should Bahrain's late April event be called off in 2012. Turkey's Istanbul Park was dropped […]

Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2011

Early Vettel title not a shame insists Ecclestone

Sep.25 (GMM) Bernie Ecclestone does not think the early conclusion to the 2011 world championship is "a shame" with multiple races still to run this season.

It is mathematically possible that Sebastian Vettel will wrap up the title after Sunday's Sin...

Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2011

Michelin would return to F1 tyre war

Sep.24 (GMM) Michelin might consider returning to formula one if the rules allow it, the French marque's motor racing boss Nick Shorrock said on Friday.

The Clermont-Ferrand manufacturer entered the sport in 2001 in competition with Bridgestone, but ...

Posted on Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Murdoch has lost interest in F1

Bernie Ecclestone thinks News Corp has lost interest in buying formula one. Before the phone-hacking scandal stepped into a high gear earlier this year, the Rupert Murdoch-led media conglomerate and the Ferrari-linked Exor company announced they were looking at "formulating a long-term plan for the development of formula one". But F1 chief executive Bernie Ecclestone, who was never supportive of News/Exor's apparent interest in buying the commercial rights currently owned by CVC, has now revealed that the consortium "has not made a return visit" since […]

Posted on Monday, September 19, 2011

Bahrain paid fee for cancelled 2011 race

Bahrain paid its race sanctioning fee for 2011 despite not hosting a grand prix this year. Amid the island Kingdom's troubles earlier this year, Bernie Ecclestone revealed that he would not charge the government the reportedly more than $40 million fee. "The fee that is normally being paid for the event is not being paid," the F1 chief executive said at the time. "I am not charging them for a race they are not getting." But according to The Independent, Ecclestone said the fact Bahrain […]