أرشيف وسم ‘ Bernie Ecclestone ’

Posted on Sunday, April 6, 2014

Formula 1 set for two new teams in 2015

There could be two new Formula 1 teams in 2015, according to Bernie Ecclestone. The FIA opened up applications at the end of 2013 and while the original February 28 announcement passed without any further news, Ecclestone reckons two new outfits will join the grid next season. It is known that NASCAR owner Gene Haas is putting together an American team and has been in conversation with the FIA over joining the grid either in 2015 or 2016. Another project, believed to be led by […]

Posted on Thursday, April 3, 2014

Ecclestone hints Haas will get F1 entry

Bernie Ecclestone has indicated that Gene Haas's entry will be given the green light to join the Formula 1 grid in either 2015 or 2016. The FIA began a search for new teams at the end of last year, with a decision originally scheduled for the end of February 2014, although that decision was ultimately delayed for unknown reasons. It is understood that Haas - co-owner of the NASCAR outfit Stewart-Haas Racing - was the most credible of the three entries submitted to the FIA. […]

Posted on Friday, March 7, 2014

French Grand Prix in line for return

Formula 1 could return to France in 2015, according to Bernie Ecclestone. Ecclestone says that a contract is on the table for the sport to return to Magny Cours, which hosted the French Grand Prix between 1991 and 2008. The event was dropped after organisers failed to find sufficient funding ahead of the 2009 season and mooted races at other venues in the country have yet to materialise. "We have got a contract on the table with France for a race at Magny-Cours," Ecclestone told Racer […]

Posted on Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Ecclestone rules out Indian return in 2015

Bernie Ecclestone has ruled out a Formula 1 return to India next year. The Indian Grand Prix joined the sport in 2011 at the Buddh circuit but dropped off the calendar for 2014. Organisers have insisted that its absence is only a temporary measure, with the sport set to return to the circuit in early 2015. But Ecclestone has played down its chances. "At the moment, India won't be on for next year for sure," Ecclestone told Reuters. "Probably 2016... they're gradually getting over all […]

Posted on Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Formula 1 set for Azerbaijan in 2016

Formula 1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone says that the sport is set to travel to Azerbaijan for the first time, in either 2015 or 2016. A report in Wednesday's Daily Mail suggests that the deal for the event is being facilitated by former Renault team principal Flavio Briatore. The race would take place around the streets of Azerbaijan's capital, Baku. "We're going to Azerbaijan," Ecclestone said. "The people out there [in Azerbaijan] are talking about holding a race in 2015." "That may be a bit soon […]

Posted on Sunday, February 9, 2014

Ecclestone proposes €1m for whistleblowers

Bernie Ecclestone is proposing that a reward of €1 million should be given to anyone who comes forward with information of teams breaking the budget cap, which is set to be introduced from next year. The FIA announced in December that a cost cap will be introduced in Formula 1 from the start of 2015 in an attempt to stabilise and eventually lessen the amount of spending required in the sport. The cost cap, which is to be initially set at $200 million, is likely to […]

Posted on Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Ecclestone devised 'double points' to help Ferrari

Luca di Montezemolo agreed behind closed doors that the controversial 'double points' innovation is necessary for Formula One. That is the claim of F1 chief executive Bernie Ecclestone, despite Ferrari president Montezemolo having claimed on record that he is opposed to the unpopular idea. "It's too artificial," the Italian said recently. "I would not be surprised if the rule is soon abolished." However, Ecclestone has told F1 business journalist Christian Sylt this week that the 'double points' concept was designed specifically to help the sport's […]

Posted on Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Ecclestone pushing 'double points' for final three races

Bernie Ecclestone has written a letter to F1's eleven teams, arguing that the controversial new 'double points' rule should be extended to the final three races of the season. Three races was always the F1 chief executive's plan, but many team bosses refused to agree and so just installing the Abu Dhabi finale as the double points venue was the compromise outcome. But Ecclestone, 83, is trying again to push his original plan through, appealing directly in writing to the F1 teams because a change […]

Posted on Sunday, January 19, 2014

Ecclestone potentially facing up to ten years in German prison

Bernie Ecclestone is facing the prospect of up to ten years in jail. F1's embattled chief executive has been removed from the sport's executive board after German prosecutors announced he will face trial in 2014 for alleged corruption. "The possible maximum penalty is a ten year prison sentence," the major Bild daily declared. Banker Gerhard Gribkowsky has already been jailed for eight and a half years for accepting Ecclestone's bribe, but according to the judge in that case, the F1 supremo's alleged acts were worse. […]

Posted on Thursday, January 16, 2014

Ecclestone steps down as director ahead of bribery trial

Bernie Ecclestone has stepped down from the board of directors which runs Formula 1 until after his trial - but will continue to run the sport on a day-to-day basis. Ecclestone is set to face trial on bribery charges in Munich in April. He is alleged to have given a 45 million Euro bribe to German banker Gerhard Gribkowsky in order that Formula 1 would be sold to a private equity group of Ecclestone's choice. Ecclestone admits paying the money but insists he was blackmailed […]

Posted on Thursday, January 5, 2012

Top teams have signed new Concorde

More media reports claim Ferrari and Red Bull, and probably also Sauber, have already inked separate new Concorde Agreements with F1 chief executive Bernie Ecclestone. The rumour was first reported by Germany's Auto Motor und Sport just after Christmas, on the heels of the teams' split from the association FOTA. The report quoted Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo as revealing that negotiations over the next Concorde - with the current one set to expire at the end of 2012 - will begin "in January". It […]

Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Montezemolo: F1 must not abandon Europe

Luca di Montezemolo is worried about F1's trend away from Europe. F1 chief executive Bernie Ecclestone said recently that he predicts only a handful of races in Europe will still be present on the calendar in a few years. "I give him credit that in all these years he has always had great respect for the role and importance of Ferrari in F1," the Italian marque's president di Montezemolo is quoted by Autosprint. "But I cannot accept this trend of F1 going away from Europe. […]