Sutil: 18 car grid 'not enough'

By on Thursday, October 30, 2014
Sauber F1 Team

Sauber F1 Team

Sauber driver Adrian Sutil says that the demise of Caterham and Marussia was 'obvious' and that an 18-car grid for this weekend's United States Grand Prix is 'not enough'.

Sutil's Sauber team has endured a troublesome campaign and has yet to score a point, leaving it 10th in the Constructors' Championship, behind the absent Marussia.

The German driver feels that the absence of teams from the grid was ultimately inevitable.

"It’s not nice to see two teams missing here, but it was very obvious that it was going to happen sooner or later," he said.

"Last year or this year so many teams had financial problems that I was surprised how long they actually survived and how they get on the whole time.

"This is how it is and for sure this is a reaction maybe followed by a few changes to get back the teams into Formula 1. Only 18 cars running this weekend is not enough."

Sutil believes that the sport must change to avoid a repeat in the future.

"If you don’t make a change, if you always try to just survive, you will never make a change," he added.

"But this was a strong sign of what’s happening here and I think now you can expect more reaction than if you only know that they have financial problems but they are still here racing. But this is a clear point there’s something wrong. The question is what is wrong."


If you liked this post then share it with your friends on social media websites. You can also follow us on Facebook and Twitter to stay up to date with the latest F1 news.