Sauber/Van der Garde decision due on Wednesday

By on Monday, March 9, 2015
Sauber F1 Team

Sauber F1 Team

A decision on the legal dispute between Giedo van der Garde and Sauber is expected to be handed down by the Victorian Supreme Court on Wednesday morning.

Van der Garde has launched legal action against Sauber as he claims he holds a valid 2015 race contract.

Van der Garde won an arbitration ruling in Switzerland last week and the Dutch driver is now trying to uphold the decision in Australia, where this weekend's season-opening Grand Prix is taking place.

According to 7News, Lawyers acting on behalf of Sauber said that there would be a safety issue if Van der Garde was allowed to race, saying that he would not be covered by the squad's insurance, adding that Van der Garde had not tested the C34 and has not had a seat fitting, claiming that the latter takes two weeks.

Lawyers acting on behalf of Van der Garde refuted the claims, saying that a seat fitting had taken place within the space of three days, and cited examples in the past of drivers stepping in at short notice.

Sauber's lawyer also claimed that their contract was with Van der Garde's company, rather than the driver himself, and that the arbitration result shouldn't be enforced.

Lawyers were also acting on behalf of Marcus Ericsson and Felipe Nasr - Sauber's intended 2015 drivers - said that they would take legal action against Sauber if Van der Garde's case is successful.


If you liked this post then share it with your friends on social media websites. You can also follow us on Facebook and Twitter to stay up to date with the latest F1 news.