Sauber reveals new look C34

By on Friday, January 30, 2015

Sauber has unveiled its C34 as the team bids to recover from its worst season in Formula 1.

Sauber failed to score a point in 2014 for the first time in its history and placed 10th in the Constructors’ Championship, only ahead of Caterham on countback of best results.

The team has revealed a new look, courtesy of backing from its new driver pairing of ex-Caterham racer Marcus Ericsson and rookie Felipe Nasr, with Ferrari youngster Raffaele Marciello set to act as reserve pilot.

"I am pleased about being a member of Sauber," said Ericsson. "After a difficult season, we want to move forward and fight in the mid-field like the team previously did. From a driver’s point of view, I want to continue to learn and establish myself as a Formula 1driver. I have the feeling of being in the perfect environment to do so. In Formula One it is difficult to have precise targets, as it depends on the overall package. It is clear that we want to be fighting for points."

"In my rookie season there is a lot to learn, and especially as I have not yet driven on some circuits yet," added Nasr.

"In general, I am ready to take on this challenge. In my role as test and reserve driver for Williams last year, I was involved in every race weekend.

"Furthermore, I also had the chance to drive the car a few times, so I think I have a certain understanding of Formula 1. Now I am taking the next step in being a race driver, and I am looking forward to bringing my experience from 2014 as well as to supporting Sauber in getting back into the points."

Sauber's engineers focused on three areas: performance in slow corners, weight reduction, as well as braking stability.

The C34 features a modified front nose design, as well as slimmer sidepods, made possible by modifications to the attachment of the side crash elements.

Sauber will use a roll-out version of the car for the first test at Jerez.

Some components are still from the Sauber C33 and will be successively replaced by new parts.

"We will use the time up to Melbourne to ensure we’re as competitive as possible when we line up on the grid for the season opener," said chief designer Eric Gandelin.

If you liked this post then share it with your friends on social media websites. You can also follow us on Facebook and Twitter to stay up to date with the latest F1 news.