Sainz Jr to race for Toro Rosso in 2015

By on Friday, November 28, 2014
Red Bull Content Pool

Red Bull Content Pool

Carlos Sainz Jr will make his Formula 1 debut in 2015 at Toro Rosso, alongside fellow rookie Max Verstappen, as the team fields the youngest ever line-up in the history of the sport.

The Spaniard tested for Red Bull following the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix and will now step up to Toro Rosso after winning this year's Formula Renault 3.5 Series.

"I am really happy to have landed the drive with Toro Rosso," he said.

"Ever since I have been part of Red Bull’s Young Driver Programme, this has been my aim and I want to thank Red Bull for putting their faith in me. I have had a very successful season in World Series by Renault this year and now I am looking forward to taking the step up to Formula 1.

"I tested for a day with Toro Rosso last year and I liked the atmosphere in the team. In the next few months I will be working hard on my preparation, ready to get in the cockpit in Jerez for the first test of next year."

Team Principal Franz Tost welcomed the appointment of Sainz Jr.

"With Carlos Sainz joining Max Verstappen in our driver line-up next year, we continue the Toro Rosso tradition of providing youngsters from the Red Bull Junior Driver Programme with their first steps in Formula 1," he said.

"I have watched Carlos progress through the junior categories, always improving as he moved higher up the ladder, culminating in a well-deserved win in this year’s World Series. However, I also remember the day’s testing he did with us at Silverstone in 2013 in the STR8. He really surprised me and his engineers that day, with his mature approach and his speed."


If you liked this post then share it with your friends on social media websites. You can also follow us on Facebook and Twitter to stay up to date with the latest F1 news.