Sainz eyes F1 future despite Verstappen setback

By on Monday, September 29, 2014

Sainz eyes F1 future despite Verstappen setbackCarlos Sainz Jr hopes that his impressive performance last weekend can put him back in the spotlight after a challenging couple of months.

The Spaniard scored a double-victory in the Formula Renault 3.5 category in France at the weekend, moving close to becoming the first Red Bull-backed driver to win the crown.

But last month Sainz, 20, was overlooked for a Formula 1 debut with Toro Rosso for 2015, as the squad opted to promote Max Verstappen.

Speaking to Spain's El Confidencial, Sainz Jr paused for a long time when he was asked if the Paul Ricard round of the 'World Series' was the most important race of his entire career.

"Probably," he finally admitted.

And asked if his display of dominance was a little message to Red Bull in the wake of the controversial Verstappen decision, Sainz revealed: "Yes, I do have that feeling a bit.

"It was important to show all those who doubted you that you're still the same. That you are able to overcome a difficult situation.

"After Budapest," said Sainz, referring to the previous Formula Renault 3.5 round, "there were difficult days where it was hard to be positive.

"Emotionally, it [the Verstappen decision] was not easy to accept. It was not an easy summer."

In the wake of the Verstappen decision, Sainz and his well-known namesake and father sat down recently with Marko and all sides declared afterwards that the future is still on track.

Asked if his dominance in Paul Ricard changes the situation yet again, Sainz jr insisted: "I don't know what it means for Red Bull, but for me, for my personal motivation, I feel good.

"If I win (the title) in Jerez I will be the first Red Bull driver to do it, the youngest in history, and it will be the record for wins in a season.

"If I do it I will have enormous confidence in myself for the future."

There might even be space on F1's 2015 grid for Sainz.

He has had talks with Caterham, there is talk of three-car entries for 2015, and Sebastian Vettel could trigger a Red Bull-Toro Rosso reshuffle if the reigning world champion moves to Ferrari to replace Fernando Alonso.

According to El Confidencial, Sainz laughed away the suggestion.

"I cannot have my future that relies on others, I have to rely on myself and keep doing what I did in Paul Ricard -- win races and keep showing what I am worth," he said.


If you liked this post then share it with your friends on social media websites. You can also follow us on Facebook and Twitter to stay up to date with the latest F1 news.