Rossi: Haryanto doubled offer to Manor

By on Friday, February 19, 2016
GP2 Media Service

GP2 Media Service

Alexander Rossi says he was unable to compete with the financial package provided to Manor by Rio Haryanto, as he missed out on a 2016 seat with the team.

Rossi entered five of the final seven races of 2015 with Manor and was in contention for a 2016 drive with the outfit, as he sought a full-time drive after last year’s cameo.

Rossi explained that he was in discussions with Manor but that Haryanto doubled his offer to Manor and consequently secured the seat.

"I knew it was coming; what ended up happening is we were in it, and in a very strong position," Rossi told RACER.

"When [Pascal] Wehrlein was announced, that put the pressure on us to be in an auction for the second seat. We thought we had an agreement, and the money was good for [Manor] up until about a week ago. Then they said we needed a couple million more, which was an effort, but we were able to find it.

"And then when we went back to meet with them with that number, they said they were very sorry but Haryanto had doubled his offer.

“I always knew going up against a country was going to be impossible," he continued. "We couldn't match some of what they were willing to do and sign, and [Indonesia] really wanted him to be there, so more power to them.”

If you liked this post then share it with your friends on social media websites. You can also follow us on Facebook and Twitter to stay up to date with the latest F1 news.