Robert Kubica suffers serious injury

By on Sunday, February 6, 2011

Robert Kubica looks set to miss the start of the new Formula 1 season after suffering multiple fractures to his right arm, leg and hand in a crash on the Ronde di Andora rally on Sunday.

The Polish driver was airlifted to hospital on Sunday morning following a high-speed crash that took place 4.6 kilometres into the opening stage of the event, on a stage near the village of Testico in Italy.

Kubica is understood to have swiped a wall and hit a crash barrier in a Super 2000 Skoda Fabia on the first stage of the rally - which he was competing in shortly after completing the first week of pre-season F1 testing with Renault at Valencia.

According to sources at the event, Kubica was trapped in the car for more than one hour until specialist extraction equipment could get to the scene of the crash.

There are unconfirmed reports that Kubica's injuries were caused by the end of a crash barrier penetrating the footwell of the car - which would explain why his injuries were on his right hand side rather than by the door.

According to a statement issued by Kubica's Renault team, he has been diagnosed with multiple fractures to his right arm, leg and hand.

After being transferred to the Santa Corona Hospital in Pietra Ligure, Kubica underwent surgery on Sunday afternoon for the injuries he suffered - with doctors believed to be focusing their efforts on his injured hand and, in particular, its blood supply.

An update from the hospital in the afternoon said that the operation on Kubica would continue until Sunday evening. And although amputation of the hand had been ruled out, it was too early to give a prognosis on how well the hand would recover from the injuries it suffered.

It was also confirmed that Kubica was out of immediate danger, and there was no threat to his life.

Kubica's injuries look almost certain to prevent him starting the season for Renault, with the first race of the campaign due to take place in Bahrain on March 13.

Renault will likely call on reserve driver Bruno Senna to fill in in the short term, but the team could opt for a more experienced driver if Kubica faces a more lengthy lay-off.

Source : Autosport.com

------

Update: 7.30 GMT: Renault say that he will be coming out of surgery soon. Doctors hope that they have saved the nerves in his hand. Eric Bouiller said Kubica lost a lot of blood. No thought about replacement yet. Follow @F1Zone on twitter for the latest

------

Update 8.45 GMT: Italian media reports that Kubica will be moved to intensive care for the next 5 days at least where a full prognosis will be carried out. Specialists suggest it will be a full year before he recovers. @F1Zone

-------

07/02/2011

Update  from Lotus Renault GP:

Robert Kubica underwent a seven-hour operation at the Santa Corona Hospital in Pietra Ligure this afternoon. The Lotus Renault GP driver had been diagnosed with multiple fractures to his right arm and leg following a high-speed accident at the Ronda de Andora rally this morning. He also suffered severe cuts to his forearm, which could have an impact on his right hand mobility.

Doctors are reasonably satisfied with the way the operation went. Tonight, Robert’s condition remains stable but serious. He has been placed into an induced coma and could be woken up in the morning.

Professor Mario Igor Rossello, Director for the Regional Centre of Hand Surgery at San Paolo Hospital in Savona: “It has been a very important and difficult operation. Robert Kubica’s right forearm was cut in two places, with significant lesions to the bones and the tendons. We did our best to rebuild the functions of the forearm. It took seven doctors, split into two teams and a total of seven hours to complete the operation. One team was the emergency task force from the hospital of San Paolo (Savona) that is normally appointed to treat this sort of injury, while the other team came from the orthopaedic department of the Santa Corona Hospital (Pietra Ligure). At the end of the operation, Robert’s hand was well vascularised and warm, which is encouraging. Following the surgery, Robert Kubica will remain under permanent monitoring overnight because his condition remains serious.”

Eric Boullier, Team Principal and Managing Director of Lotus Renault GP: “The news of Robert’s accident came as a real shock to the whole team. All of us, at Lotus Renault GP, wish him a quick recovery. We have been really impressed with the way the doctors looked after him today and we would like to thank the whole team of the Santa Corona Hospital for their professional approach and dedication. I will be traveling to Italy tomorrow, along with Vitaly Petrov, in order to see Robert and tell him that we are impatiently waiting for his return.”

Another update will be made tomorrow morning at 9h30, at the hospital, by Prof. Rossello and Daniel Morelli, Robert’s manager.

[AUTOSPORT.COM]

If you liked this post then share it with your friends on social media websites. You can also follow us on Facebook and Twitter to stay up to date with the latest F1 news.