Red Bull could race without KERS in Monaco

By on Thursday, May 26, 2011

May 26 (GMM) Red Bull will decide whether to use KERS for the rest of the Monaco grand prix weekend after Thursday's practice sessions.

The technology has caused problems for the otherwise dominant team so far in 2011, and at Monaco its influence is questionable due to the many tight corners and absence of significant straights.

The energy-recovery unit in Sebastian Vettel's car functioned only intermittently en route to a narrow victory over Lewis Hamilton in Spain last weekend.

"I was playing around with the buttons and the brake distribution so it wasn't an easy race and obviously McLaren and Lewis especially gave us a very, very hard time," he said.

His teammate Mark Webber told Auto Motor und Sport in Monaco: "We will test with it on Thursday."

German Vettel admitted that removing KERS from the RB7s after practice is an option.

"If we have some problems again, we need to consider if it makes more sense to concentrate fully on the driving," he said.


If you liked this post then share it with your friends on social media websites. You can also follow us on Facebook and Twitter to stay up to date with the latest F1 news.