Perez: 2017 plans not yet sorted

By on Thursday, July 28, 2016
Sahara Force India

Sahara Force India

Force India's Sergio Perez says his future is not yet sorted, despite team boss Vijay Mallya confirming that the Mexican will remain part of the squad into 2017.

Perez has raced with Force India since the start of 2014, following spells with Sauber and McLaren, and has scored two podiums so far in 2016 en-route to eighth in the standings.

Perez was linked to a move to Ferrari but Kimi Raikkonen's contract extension has ended such an option, but he says he is not yet certain to stay with Force India.

"It's up to me and the group of sponsors what to do," said Perez.

"It is not only down to me. I'm a very lucky driver, to have so much support.

"If we're moving around teams, we'll take the decision together with the group of sponsors that I have.

"A decision has not been taken."

Perez is optimistic that a decision will be taken during the sport's summer break.

"I hope I can come back after the break knowing what the future holds," he said.

"You never know. My deals are not so simple.

"I have a lot of sponsors that have to do deals, so it takes longer than if I was a driver going into a team or doing just a contract deal."

If you liked this post then share it with your friends on social media websites. You can also follow us on Facebook and Twitter to stay up to date with the latest F1 news.